WD Mypassport ssd wifi 4TB Upgrade

Ich hoffe von deiner Erfolgsgeschichte zu hören :wink:

I’m eagerly waiting to hear your story of success, as well, my friend :wink:
I know, what you mean, but think of it this way: the Red lineup is in any case a better investment, quality-wise.
Apart from which, as I told ewok79, I can neither confirm, nor deny the WDS400T2B0A working. ewok79 reported at the beginning of this thread, that his endeavors were a bust, which is why I told him, that I believe the 3D NAND (multiple reports of success), the blue (no success on ewok79’s side) and the blue SA510 (definitely no success, crappy controller, no DRAM) are different blue lineups and I picked the Red, over the blue, because the 2nd Gen blue wasn’t even listed among the other SSDs, where I checked the controllers.
You could go for blue, but only 3D NAND, if anything, and that’d practically be more expensive, than the Red with the additional downside of being “just” blue.

I read about the Gnarbox; the concept and the idea is pretty neat. From what I could see, it’s got some decent hardware on the board, considering the ICs. But storage space-wise not exactly my cup of tea and also lacks the space and interface to perform proper upgrades, not even mentioning battery performance and apps/app interfaces.
I know WD almost never does a good job when it comes to maintenance and customer support. But this piece of hardware is good enough for us to keep pushing forward, I believe.

I do however strongly recommend both of you do the battery mod. There’s a little light soldering involved, but if you ain’t got 2 left hands, it should be doable. I can point at this Thread to be your guide. I also recently stumbled upon a company in the UK doing 3D prints, where I got to talk to the guy and he agreed to provide a modified version of the 18650 sleds, where the BMS can also safely be tucked away, which would provide us with easy means to exchange dead cells in the future and spare you the headache of soldering the cells themselves (which of course can also be very dangerous, as I can tell from my own experience). I’m currently waiting on my order. In any case pre-paralleled (if you can call it this) contacts should be used, to keep the soldering to a minimum and the construction, as stable, as possible and also proper cables, from which I can also report of my own experience is imperative, as it REALLY facilitates the soldering.

UPDATE: what I forgot to mention: since my SSD upgrade my USB transfer rates (read/write) went up to 3x-5x of what they used to be, when I was on HDD :metal: