WD My Cloud Solid Red

Purchased 2015 (P/N ends with “-00” Gen 1). Worked as intended all along, no changes in network. Last weekend noticed a solid red. Had assigned static ip, no ping response, can’t access via SSH.

Took the drive out and with the Paragon software, I can access all data which has already been backed up. But as you can see below, CrystalDiskInfo reports >200 reallocated sector count. From what I can gather this is a bad sign that the hard drive is on it’s way out.

So replacing the hard drive and rebuilding the software via unbrick guides would be the next step, couldn’t I just clone it to a new drive so I don’t have to rebuild it?

You can try to clone the drive. There are past discussions on it. The main issue is one typically needs to use the same size or larger hard drive as the existing bad My Cloud hard drive. The other issue is some clone programs will do a sector by sector copy which may copy any corrupted files from the old drive to the new drive. One such past discussion on cloning.

Edit to add: Also cloning may take significantly longer than other unbrick methods.

Thanks for the suggestions @Bennor. I went ahead and purchased another WD Red. Ran all commands on the @Fox_exe guide without issues. Sadly when I put it together there was a clicking noise and a solid red light :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:. The clicking made me thing maybe there wasn’t enough power.

Decided to try the power adapter from the second unit I have to find out that was the cause of my problems. A $15 power adapter LOL :rofl: not the $85 HDD :upside_down_face:…Oh well…the original drive also works regardless of the ‘caution’ SMART status on CrystalDiskInfo. Guess I’ll replace the HDD anyways so I feel that was a useful purchase and repurpose the “failing?” drive to another task.

Thanks again! :+1: Just wanted to come back and mention the fix in my case was much simpler.