WD My Cloud Home Device Offline

The MCH debug_logs.zip will show you much more than what you can run on your own with SMARTCTL at this point because it will likely have the original record of the errors since the unit was first activated, which could be many years. The following gives you a hint to where to find the data, some will tell you when the OTA firmware was first installed with the activation and the pstore folder will show you the various SMARTCTL errors reported since then. In my case, I saw too many FPDMA errrors which is sometimes associated with SATA controller or SMR HDDs and I replaced the HDD even though there was 18 months leftover in the WD warranty and I never bothered to try to get WDC to compensate me for it. I figured it is usually better to replace than try to recover bad data which seems to be the the fundamental mistakes of 99% of the users here.

There is always a chance that you can recover most of your data even with the SMART errors if you use a different SATA controller such as a PC and the recovery won’t be too difficult for someone willing to learn.