WD Live Netflix instant queue unavailable

Crogon wrote:
Ok super-genius, did you read the first four paragraphs?? YES I have one, and YES I have this problem. In fact, it’s a REPEAT problem, Netflix is currently locked up again, so I came back to see if there was any official news yet.

You are wrong on a number of accounts. First of all I am not a super-genius and second if you a problem just state it… You have posted twice now and all we really gather is that you have some sort of attitude problem. Your first post as you admitted was just a ramble which covered a number of points completely unrelated to the thread.

"Here are the instructions for deactivation: 

1.  From within the Netflix application, use the arrows on the remote control to do the following keystroke sequence:
          * up > up > down > down > left > right > left > right > up > up > up > up

And then press ‘Enter’

2. Select Deactivate
  3. Select Yes"

I went through the sequence twice before I ‘stumbled’ across pressing enter to get to the deactivate screen.  Worked fine after that.  I’m hoping there’s a firmware upgrade soon.

How do you access the Netflix application? If I go to Video, and then click on Netflix, it gives me the “Sorry, your instant queue is temporarily unavailable” message before I can start this workaround.

BTW, I love the way issue has been tagged as “solved.”

This seems like a pretty serious issue. Had the box two weeks, had this problem for the first time today. Was really happy with it until now.

It looks like other people been having this problem for weeks, with no permanent solution… not looking forward to doing having to do this workaround with the arrows more than once.  Can’t even figure how to get it to work once.

Don’t really want to reset the box to factory specs either and reenter other accounts…

sheesh…

OK, this is great. So I deactivated the box using my Netflix account, and now the box won’t give me a new activation code – just  “Sorry, your instant queue is temporarily unavailable.”

Ohyeah, when you have the netflix message on the screen about the can’t access instant queue, that’s when you do the whole arrow sequence followed by enter to deactive the connection on the device.  Then when you go into it again, it’ll provide a code.

1.  From within the Netflix application, use the arrows on the remote control to do the following keystroke sequence:

Press enter.

2. Select Deactivate
  3. Select Yes"

Thanks robertb – that’s what I was assuming the first couple times I tried it, but no results.

Does that asterisk correspond to a key on the remote, or is it just the start of the sequence?

I’ve been starting the sequence with up arrow, and don’t get any indication it’s receiving my instructions at any point in the process.

I always end up having to hit home to get out of the error screen.

I also tried deleting the device directly from my Netflix account about 4 hours ago and now I have no registered device with Netflix but no way to generate code to reactivate…

Ok… the stupid forum lost my first post, I’ll give this one more shot…

You’re problem is not with your Netflix ACCOUNT. Your (our) problem is that the WD device suddenly forgets how to connect to your account. There are two ways to fix this:

1. Rest to factory default. (nobody wants to do this unless they have to)

2. Pretend you’re playing a video game… Super Mario Brothers part 47… You don’t see anything happening on the screen, but you type in this key sequence and suddenly you have ‘50 lives’:

up > up > down > down > left > right > left > right > up > up > up > up

Then, QUICKLY, look back up at the screen (don’t try to read it) and click on ‘Deactivate’ then click on ‘Yes’. In a few seconds, you will get kicked back out to the root menu, then you can do all the fun stuff to reactivate your device with Netflix.

If you screw it up, no biggie, just click on ‘Home’ or pull the power to reset it, and try again.

It’s lame, it ■■■■■, that’s how it is… until they fix it. If you really really can’t do the key sequence, which gets the mysterious ‘Deactivate’ screen to pop up, then you’re just going to have to break down and reset it to factory default.

Incidentally, you didn’t do a bad thing by deleting the device off of your Netflix account. Like I said earlier, the problem is in the device. So deleting it from your Netflix account didn’t do much at all, because the device somehow forgot how to connect to your account.

I do hope I helped you. I DO hope they fix the stupid thing. At any rate, peace out!

So what is evil about not appreciating when a company steals $129.00 from you?  Do you think that confounded “up up down down” remote solution is acceptable? Do you think 3 months and counting is acceptable time to wait for a fix of the only feature that distinguishes this unti from it’s predecessors?

If so my douchie friend from across the pond, you are a shill and  you drive to my mothers house every 2 days a reset her unit so she can watch movies. I bought it for her because it was supposed to be simple and I relied on the WD name.

Will not make that mistake again. Bouth her the Seegate unit which works flawlessly and has built in wireless, a hard drive dock, and cost $30 less! Put this POS on ebay.

“Bouth her the Seegate unit which works flawlessly”

After trudging through your grammar and spelling errors to figure out what you were intending to say, my response to that is “Horse-sh*t.”

The Seagate has its own issues.   “Flawless” is hyperbole to the extreme…

If her “Seegate” works perfectly, why did you exchange it for something else? 

Hum dee dum… super mario bros workaround not working for me. I think the remote is just too shoddy to complete the sequence with 100 percent accuracy.

Doing my 3rd factory reset tonight. What fun!

On second thought it’s only the second factory reset. I was too tired to bother the other night…

Let’s not exagerrate the problem.

AndrewG wrote:

I’m surprised no one else has gotten this answer from Netflix support:

2. Select Deactivate
  3. Select Yes"

I’ve had this problem occur twice now, once today, and once ten days ago.

Another option is to manage your device from the Netflix website, and deactivate it there. That can take a few minutes, but it also works, and is much less invasive that nuking your whole setup! Good luck to engineering and fix this quick please, my wife’s getting annoyed. :stuck_out_tongue:

Andrew

Kudos, that workaround is far better than resetting.

Worked great for me, thanks for sharing (annoys my wife too!).  :)

I’ve had my device for about a month and just go the “your instant Queue is temporarily unavailable” message.  Of course, Netflix pointed to WD and said they can’t help.

Many thanks to Andrew for the workaround.

Western Digital - How about a firmware upgrade to fix this problem?

I purchased the WD TV Live+ on Sunday and had it all working easily.  This is by far the best media player I’ve ever owned… much more friendly than the MVIX units I purchased! 

However, yesterday afternoon while I was at work my wife called and told me that the Instant Queue was no longer available.  I told her to use the Wii instead and it worked fine.  I performed the reset procedure I found here and got it working again. 

The primary reason I purchased this was for DVD ISO playback and Netflix… such a shame that this problem is so common.  I though purchasing a popular brand like WD would be insurance against ridiculous firmware issues.

I have had this less than a week and already have encountered the “Netflix” problem.  The reset sequence did work but is not reasonable for something that is being marketed as a “Netflix” ready device.  Other people I know with Roku’s and blue ray players with Netflix access don’t have these issues.  I am really hoping for a firmware update soon.

im having this issue as well now. i wanted to know if everyone here has blu-ray added to their netflix accounts? i just added blu-ray and now im having this issue. looking forward to the firmware update. i have no other complaints except the long startup times when the wdtv starts up. its much longer than the normal wdtv live.

another thing for those of you who are havng probelms reaching the deactivate option within wdtv. make sure you start pushing the arrow sequence once the netflix window opens up and starts to load up the queue. u should see the circular progress indicator when you push the buttons. if it reaches the queue error screen you were too slow.

You’ve been working on this common problem since February and it rears its ugly head on a unit I bought a week ago, around August 31, 2010?

Would you care to be explicit with the “reset” direction?  Does powering-down and up accomplish a reset?  Does this mean you will lose my network settings, too?  Is there a way to use a reasonable input device for network setup, like plugging in a keyboard, instead of dealing with that brain-dead user interface?

This bug should be fixed in today’s WDTV Live Plus beta release.  http://community.wdc.com/t5/Firmware/WDTV-Live-Plus-Limited-Public-Beta-1-03-39-B-9-9-10/td-p/52110

Aw… no offense, but that doesn’t specifically mention that it fixes this issue with the box somehow forgetting which Netflix account it is associated with. I REALLY hope it does fix it, because if it doesn’t, you guys are setting yourselves up to be tarred, feathered, and ran out of town on a rail… with a statement like that last one. I really believe in the integrity of Western Digital, but if you guys don’t fix this, we’re going to be finding these on ebay for $10, shortly followed by them going on clearance at Best Buy, never to be seen again. I would really hate to see a ground-breaking product like this disappear into history, all because of a few stupid bugs not getting squashed in a timely manner.