WD Live Hub remote commands and menus problem

Hello,

Been using a WD TV Live Hub for about two years now and was very satisfied with it. It is upgraded to the latest firmware and is on the network via a WiFi adapter. However for some weeks now, and increasingly often, the remote control commands are going bersek. In fact, at times the menus start scrolling and being selected on their own, even f the remote is off. It is very annoying as we cannot select any item, and also the ‘enter’ key on the remote seems disabled.

I tried resetting to factory defaults, but still the same; it was extremely hard to get past the initial ‘language’ selection screen as the selections went all over the place. Sometimes after unplugging and pluging again power, it somewhat works but never 100%. There is nothing wrong with playback or picture quality, when it does work.

It seems to be some software issue with the remote control circuit in the live hub? The remote itself seems fine, and I changed the batteries. 

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions!

Are you using the genuine WDTV Live Hub Remote Control ?    or a Remote App ?

only asking, because you stated it also happens when the remote is “Off”

which doesent sound like you’re using one of these [Below]  (because the only way to turn this “Off” is to remove the Batteries)

Personally, try the process of elimination …

Remove the Wi-Fi adaptor and see what happens

Remove the Batteries from the WDTV Remote Control if you’re using one … (sometime remotes go faulty and start sending signals without pressing any buttons)

Try a USB Keyboard … eg: http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/Remote-not-working-want-to-upgrade-firmware-for-apps-to-work/m-p/810703#M33711

Lot’s of things you can try … let us know, and provide more info

Might also try placing a piece of black tape over the IR receptor on the Hub and use the remote app, pretty sure this does NOT use IR. There may be stray IR getting into the Hub. If the problem goes away while taped over most likely you’re getting stray IR from something…maybe TV screen!

Thanks very much for the useful suggestions. I am using the original remote that came with the WD LiveHub. By ‘off’ I meant not using the remote; I proceeded by elimination and when I removed the batteries from the remote, lo and behold the random menu scrolling stopped! So the remote was sending unwanted signals on its own.

So the next logical question is, what could be wrong with the remote? I could try and open it to check if there are carbon deposits on the contacts, which may randomly conduct. If cleaning does not solve the issue, I will have to get a new remote. Anyone out there has a spare one? I live in the South Pacific, where things like that are hard to find.

In any case, thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction to find the fault.

I’ve cleaned my remote control twice over 4 years …

use an old expired Plastic Credit Card to pry the case open (don’t use a knife, it will damage the plastic and you might cut yourself)

Using a clean cloth and methylated spirits (or 100% alcohol)  … apply to the circut board and rubber button pad … VERY Gently clean (don’t apply too much pressure)

If it still gives problems … then your choices are

1. Genuine Remote Replacement  (probably under $30)

2. If you have a Smart Phone … download the WDTV Remote App for Android / iOS

3. Use a USB Keyboard

4. Universal Remote ?  (i know Harmony Remotes work, but pretty $$$$)

5. Any OLD WDTV will operate “Basic Navigation Functions”

eg. the OLD WDTV Gen1 Remotes will work with the WDTV Live Hub [see pic below]

1. Ebay has Heaps of WDTV Remotes

2. Lastly … you can control your WDTV Live Hub on your PC via the WEB UI