WD live and My Passport

Hello,

my new WD TV Live doesn’t work with my 2 TP WD My Passport. It starts correctly, but after a while it seems to be frozen. No Button works. What can i do? 

please help me, sunny

Maybe that’s it.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Discussions/Intention-to-finalize-a-rear-USB-port-issue-drives-USB-3-0/td-p/392589

Hi,

thanks for your advice. But my WD My Passport has only 2.0 USB and it also doesn’t work on the front USB of WD live. An 8 GB USB Stick works. It is Fat32 formatted and the WD HD MAC OS Extended (journaled). Is that the reason? I have also the Backup of my Macbook Pro with Time Machine on this HD.

sun869 wrote: the WD HD MAC OS Extended (journaled). Is that the reason? I have also the Backup of my Macbook Pro with Time Machine on this HD.

Yes, HFS+ formatted drives don’t work with journaling enabled.  This came up recently on the forum.  The manual lists HFS+ as being supported but elsewhere then says it doesn’t work with journaling enabled (so really only sort of supported).  This is due to incomplete Linux support for HFS+ at this time.

Thanks for the reply. Can I disable the journaled status?

sun869 wrote:

Thanks for the reply. Can I disable the journaled status?

Yes, but Time Machine requires it.  The bottom line is that you can either use an HFS+ formatted drive with the WD SMP or you can use it with Time Machine, but not both (at least this is my understanding from trying to deal with an HFS+ drive in Linux and OS X last year).

thanks ncarver

i’ve bought a new HD and formatted it in Fat32. Now it works. Use My Passport with Time Machine and transfer the files in the WLAN. 

Glad to hear it is working.  Only issue is that FAT32 is an extremely old and very limited filesystem, so not the best to use for video files (files limited to 4GB in size, and not journaled so harder to recover from power failures).  NTFS is a better choice, though you will have to hunt down NTFS package to add to OS X for read-write support.  I know that NTFS-3G (widely used with Linux distros) is available for OS X and Seagate has a free Mac NTFS driver available.