WD knew My Book Live remote execution exposure years ago!

I’ve written off their products in my mind and will never buy another, and I purchase quite a bit for work. I understand the EOL deal, but to know about an issue 2 years ago and not to even send an email warning registered users? I got an email from them with a warning about the risk…3 days after my drive was wiped

1 Like

Understood, but what about a simple email blast 2 years ago with a warning? How much would that have cut into their profits? They were able to send one this time after many people lost data.

They way I see it, this may cut into their profits with disgruntled users who either pursue a class action lawsuit and/or refusing to spend another dollar on anything with the WD name on it.

1 Like

Believe me, I don’t think many people would be as upset losing data had a drive encountered a mechanical or board level failure after all these years. What’s upsetting is that apparently they were aware of a vulnerability in their product and didn’t notify registered users with an email a few years ago. But I digress

3 Likes

The fact that they KNEW about this 2+ years ago and did Nothing will be what bites them in the a$$. I’m just not sure how hard a bite it will be… Those who didn’t properly back up their files will not factor in, but the complete loss of use as a working NAS will.

I would argue the majority of MyBook owners are common non technical average Joe next door ! You expect them to follow proper IT processes? Do you really expect them to block ports at the router or even have a clue what you’re asking? These are not Cisco switches in the enterprise with IT professionals trained and certified in best IT practices.

Baby toy manufactures are held accountable based on their users (babies) not the adults who by them. Thus toys for babies must not allow choking, so is your brilliant defense lawyer going to argue well the parent bought the toy and should know ? No the manufacturer is responsible for proper safety period.

IT best practices are a specific type of safety.

2 Likes

To be honest neither of OUR opinions matter. What will matter is when class action lawsuit is filed and then I’ll be right. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Anyway back to more details: I saw in this article with many more interesting details, but quite a few new details. It is a good read . Too many points to summarize and I’m lazy. It a very good read.

1 Like

Not only did they make zero effort then, but there was also no warning when this happened. I literally found out about 90 minutes ago when my folder didn’t exist. Jumped on to grab an old file… gone. Having a NAS drive has been useful for all my laptop moves and accessing stuff while I am away from home. But it is literally all gone. And no one said anything. I still log into wd2go and no email to say “look out” or anything.

They have made absolutely zero effort until it is too late and still haven’t reached out to tell people still using these devices… I only found out by googling why all my files had disappeared and boy this has been an emotional night as a result. I’m freaking out over old photos backed up from cameras I no longer have and laptops I no longer have… installation files for software that I can’t get ahold of anymore. Just… really upset by this.

1 Like