WD Hard Drive Totally Stopped Working

I have a WD external hard drive purchased in Aug 2010 which has apparently stopped working. (Model #  WD5000H1CS-00, [Deleted - Trancer] Neither my Dell desktop or my wife’s Dell laptop recognize the unit at all. When it is plugged in the light on the “spine” lights and there is a faint clicking for a while, then it goes silent after a few minutes. I’m assuming it has just died and I need to replace it. Before I do that, however, I just want to see if there is anything I might try to “revive” it. Many thanks,

Hello,

You should try some basic troubleshooting:

1- Connect the power adapter to the wall directly. 

2- If the computer is a desktop, connect it on the back USB port (directly to the PC, not through a hub). 

3- Make sure you hear the connection sound windows makes when recognizes a USB device. 

4- Go to "Disk Management” to verify if the drive shows up there. 

If the drive shows up in disk management but it is not seen on Computer, then it means the partition is 

corrupted and you will have to format it in order to use it again. Please note that formatting the drive will delete 

all data stored on it. 

Did (1) and (2) but never received “ding” sound that USB device was recognized (3).

Where do I find “Disk Management”(4)?

Thanks,