WD external HD changes from NTFS to RAW - how to retrieve data?

I have a Passport 4TB external HD. I have used this drive and several other WD external drives without incident for several years. Upon connecting it today, it asked me for my password - as it ordinarily does - but instead of showing up under My Computer as ‘My Passport G:’, it shows up as ‘Local Disk G:’ and asks if I want to reformat it. So I went to diskmgmt.msc (see screen capture) and it says this sector is now RAW (note the sector on my other WD HD is NTFS). I contacted Western Digital about this and they said to attempt to retrieve the data using a third party tool M3 Data Recovery.

If M3 Data Recovery doesn’t work, what other options might there be?

M3 Data Recovery looks like it will take a long time (22-23 hrs). Is there possibly a quicker way? Would XCopy work?

What might have been the cause of this?

Does anyone else here have any experience with issues like this? And what was the resolution?

This is a bit unusual sounding. NTFS is a disk format, and as far as I know RAW is a type of photo media type of file, not a disk format type.

Before i did anything rash, I would turn of PC and remove the HD then restart PC and once fully booted, re-attach the drive and see if things improve.

Thanks for this suggestion - it fixed my RAW type problem.

Glad it is fixed. Please click on the Solution button in your post.