WD Elements drive not recognised through a USB 3.0 hub

Hi, can anyone help? New WD Elements portable drive not recognised when attached via a USB 3.0 hub which has its own mains supply so power not an issue. The portable drive is recognised and works fine when plugged in directly to the PC. Other equipment also works when connected via the hub. I’m using windows 10 with all latest updates etc. I only have one usb 3.0 port on my pc so really need it to work through a hub. Is this possible or have I just got a product that won’t do what I want?

1 Like

it can be if … it’s cheap hub. (not made by a well known quality manufacturer)

I bought a cheap mains powered usb 3.0 hub … doesn’t work well with USB portable drives, or at all. It actually back powers the PC if i use the AC Adaptor … which is not good.

Thanks for the reply - might be the hub - although wasn’t my first thought as everything else I’ve tried (including flash drive sticks) work through it - have you managed to get a portable elements drive recognised through a hub then? Any chance of a link to what you’d regard as a good hub/ manufacturer to try please?

I’m having the same problem, with 1 and 2 TB Elements drives. They work fine when plugged directly into the laptop but not into a USB switch or hub. I have tried a very expensive full-charging-power USB 3 hub and a cheap USB 3 switch with and without external power (2.4 A). According to this forum here a 4 TB Elements drive only draws about 420 mA. This is well below the normal USB spec and should not require additional power, so hub/switch power is not the problem.

I can hear and feel my drives powering up on the hub/switch and see the indicator light active, but Windows 10 does not acknowledge anything. This sure seems like a data problem rather than power. What can I do about this?