WD Discovery is not working on M1 / Apple Silicon MacBook Air

Congratulations WD, you finally got the app working, only to destroy it with the latest update, now if its installed, you can’t use the internet, or backup to timemachine or log into the drive, the only cure is to remove the WD Discovery app completely, then you have a MacBook that works, but no access to your MyCloudHome device

Having no luck getting this working.

I have uninstalled WD Discovery and restarted.

Installed WD Discovery.

It asks me to Allow the system extension, which I have done, but when it restarts it comes up “System Extension Error” and tells me they need to be rebuilt. When I open up the control panel it’s back to asking me to allow the WD extension.

Any ideas?

change the smb to cifs and all work! wtf!

A lot of what is happening with macOS Big Sur and SMB is due to the changes Apple is making to the SMB protocol. Here is what some have resorted to doing, either using AFP or CIFS instead of SMB, both of which are supported on the MCH:

I found a way to turn on AFP on my NAS so I can now do transfers 50-100% faster, and it doesn’t lock up during multiple transfers of large files (which was a bug from way back, fixed 3 releases ago, reintroduced 2 releases ago and who knows with this release, since it us unusable, for me). I don’t think I’ll be turning off AFP, even if this gets fixed.

https://www.reddit.com/r/mac/comments/mzwx5t/big_sur_113_breaks_smb/

I just got an M1 MacBook Air to replace my aging MacBook and I cannot get the WD Discovery to work. From my research it looks like I’m going to have to “enable reduced security within the Apple Startup Security Utility”. Is that correct? That doesn’t sound very safe. What are my risks doing this?