WD Discovery is not working on M1 / Apple Silicon MacBook Air

WD Discovery 4.3.327 now offers support for the Apple M1 ARM processor.

Please see the following article which describes how to install and enable this support on the Apple M1 ARM processor:

Install WD Discovery for My Cloud Home for Apple M1 ARM Processor

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30307

Trying to install on the M1 Mac Mini and the installer starts, but stops EVERYtime at unpacking (50%) whatever I try

Just installed WD Discovery. Was beach balling a little, restarted again and managed to log in. It’s working! So far so good. Just hope it doesn’t slow the Mac down as the previous version slowed down the whole operating system with the beach ball coming up every few clicks.

Please ensure that a failed install is not already present. The following articles should assist in removing any current installed version prior to installation:

How to Uninstall and Remove WD Discovery on Windows and macOS

The next article details how to troubleshoot failing installs:

WD Discovery Fails to Install on macOS

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28936

If you continue to see issues, please open a case with our support team, so your issue can be further reviewed:

https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

After thoroughly cleaning the the Mac Mini M1 (according to the given guidelines) and installing (according to the given guidelines) I managed to get it working! HAPPY !!
Thanks WD. It was a dark winter though.

My WD app is asking for my email and password and insisting that what I enter is incorrect. Clicking the “Forgot Password” link takes me to the home.mycloud.com where the password and email work fine. Am I missing something? Seems like the web based portal and the Mac app should be the same password, right? How can I get into the app?

Update: I signed out of the web site portal and reset the password and now I can’t get into either one. The app tells me it can’t connect to the server and the site tells me I don’t have an internet connection. Super frustrating.

Done all that
 deleted the app, reinstalled the app, enabled WD extensions in Finder, had to modify security settings in recovery enviroment. Then enabled kernel extensions
 rebooted a couple of times

still with the coloured circle moving on the WD icon
 and waiting. been waiting for 4 months, can wait a bit more.

(irony mode off)

GP

Im happy to say that
 IT’S ALIVEEEEEEEEEE

it’s working.

HAPPYYYYY

thank you all

1 Like

i don’t see any new release of the software. What is it working exxactly?

The software won’t tell you, so reinstall WD Discovery as explained above.

Hey pal how did you get past the 50% install? done everything but to no avail

Perfect, now it works good, I ca see inside the WD MyCloud.
But now I have a questione
Into the “MyCloud” there are already previous files, like photos, old backups etc.
how can I set it as HD for TimeMachine?

the question is that I want maintain all the data inside the HD, and add the TimeMachine backup, without initializing it. is it possible?
I used MyCloud to store pc’s files, and also phone backup, now I’d like to add TM backup.

So now it seems that the fix for M1 in the latest release has broken WD Discovery for MacBook Pro on High Sierra. Anyone managing to successfully use it on a circa 2016 MacBook pro with High Sierra?

Looking at the System Information screen with WD Discovery 4.3.327 installed, it still shows WD Discovery is an Intel application. WDDesktop is universal so that is M1 optimized, but WD Discovery itself is still not optimized for the M1 chip. This can also be verify from the Activity Monitor which shows all the WD processes as Intel.

Are there plans to convert the entire WD Discovery application to Universal (i.e. M1 optimized)?

Anyone else having issues with WD Discovery 4.3.327 causing kernel panics and random disconnects of all externally mounted drives on an M1 Mac? I’ve followed the instructions, but nothing works. I’ve uninstalled and then reinstalled per the instructions and it still causes massive issues.

“Support” said to uninstall 4.3.327 and then install 4.2.288, but that’s obviously not a plausible solution for a M1 Mac

EDIT: I finally got 4.3.327 working after multiple install attempts, reboots, etc. However, it is now broken again in Big Sur 11.3.

I was finally able to the drive to show up, took me a few times to follow the directions. But now the folder sync isn’t showing up? did I miss a step for that?

WD Discovery seems to be broken again with MacOS 11.3 on an Apple M1. After multiple deletion and reinstallation attempts, It crashes after several minutes, and causes my SanDisk external SSD to become unresponsive and unusable. This was happening on the previous OS version, but I was finally able to get that working. Unfortunately, whatever WD “fixed” in 4.3.327 to work with the Apple M1 appears to be broken again.

I’ve submitted a ticket, and they’ve given two responses, the first to say they are aware of issues, are working on it, and suggest I use the web to access my data. The second response appears to be a canned response about compatibility issues with previous versions of macOS.

Hey! after the update of last night (11.3) my WD Home asks to fill in a password to login (ftp) on the mac. but i dont have none. what happend and how to fix? (got the new firmware, the latests software and can connect with it by smb and see it in the app).

same issue. I can no longer connect to the public folder using SMB. Keep asking for password and username, which was not necessary before. Can’t login as guest either.