WD Blue Mobile spins down too early (or not at all) and ignores Spindown Time settings

Hello and thank you for your response.

I know that obtaining a 100% precise copy of the setup might be hard to get but it should be reproductible in some ways using any kind of single board computer with SATA capabilities and any kind of Linux distribution that is based on Debian.

As I’ve seen in the meanwhile there’s a post made in the “Ideas” section here: http://community.wd.com/t5/Internal-Drive-Ideas/New-Firmware-required-WD-Blue-1TB-WD10JPVX/idi-p/743574

That thread was opened almost a year ago stating that not only single board boxes are affected by this bug but also Mac Mini and Intel Nuc.

What’s also (not) funny is the fact that I can’t register the HDD online in the Product Registering section of WD. When adding the serial number of the drive and filling out all required fileds it says:

Thank you for registering your products. 0 of 1 products have been registered. The following product was possibly not registered: WX... (Serial of the drive I mentioned)

When doing a “Check warranty” it states “NO LIMITED WARRANTY-C40”. The drives manufacturing date is stated to be around 25.12.2014! Does this mean I have no warranty to an almost brand new disk?

I’m really getting a little confused…