WD Application Installer Buttons are Blank

I bought the wd book world edition 1tb and had the exact same problems reported already on here, i tried on my laptop and two pc’s all running windows 7, by luck i managed to install by trial and error, however i then tried it on another pc running windows xp and all the words came up.

Clearly this product is being misold as the box states compatible with windows 7 when the disk that comes with it isnt!

I received my new drive yesterday.  Found the same symptoms as you guys, blank buttons/undefined in the display blocks.

I looked carefully at the install instructions and looked at the system requirements.  The only thing that I did not meet (on my XP home machine) was the activeX.  It stated the min req was adobe activeX 9.

I installed the latest adobe activeX (which IIRC is 10.1.something).

After that, everything was visible as it should be.

On my wife’s Vista machine, I made sure to update to the latest activeX prior to trying, and all was well with the install cd.

Hope this helps!

I have purchase this product aswell…what a disappointment… it will certainly be going back.!!!  I have sat here since lunch tim today trying to get it to work.  blank buttons & indentified indeed. 

I had the same problem when trying to install the software.  I have Windows 7 Premium; had the latest version of Active X and Flash.  Updated my system to the latest JAVA version.  Verified that JAVA worked.  Still blank buttons.

Then I tried the “start in safe mode” suggestion posted here and low and behold, text in the buttons!

Ridiculous!! 2 hours troubleshooting for a 2 minute installation.

1 Like

@Kiwi422

I have tried starting my desktop in Safe Mode with networking; and it wont even run the installation exe …just wondering if I have missed a step out?

I know Java, ActiveX and Flash are all up to date…so is the firmware on the WD NAS.

Thanks,

Rob

EDIT::

Just restarted in Safe Mode with networking again, got the buttons to display text etc…

However when I click on the ‘Accept’ button nothing changed, as though it is an orphan link?

The pdf opens up, as well as the ‘Cancel’ button closing down the installer.

If it helps im running Win 7 64bit Professional.

I know i can run the WD Discovery tool but I am also having problems mapping the drive on my computer. The WD software sees the NAS but wont let me map a path…try looking in Windows explorer and it wont display - all in the same user group etc.

But i can ping it, when i click on ‘Configure’ from the WD software it takes it to the Web UI and also I can get to the Web UI by typing its IP address (which is static) in the address bar of my browser.

Rob