WD Application Installer Buttons are Blank

When I run the CD that came with the WD My Book World Edition White Light to install software, all of the buttons are blank and display ‘undefined’ in the description to the right of the installer window.

Any thoughts?

I’ve had the exact same thing happening to me. Just browse the cd and start an application from there. Not sure what causes it. I have the 2TB My Book World Edition II and running Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit.

I just bought the drive. Never had any similar problem. All the buttons are blank and all the texts are “undefined”.

I have Windows 7 Ultimate (x86) - with non english UI.

How do I which button to press, is this some kind of WD lottery? -So if I manage to press the right button I shall use the drive and if not I need to buy another WD product? :smileyvery-happy:

I get this same issue. Thanks for posting the screenshots so that everyone understands the issue. I contacted support about this and they just said to run the applications directly from the explorer view which isn’t really a fix. i wanted to know what was causing this as it only happened on one of my machines.

Three things you need to make sure of:

1. Flash is installed.
  2. Java is installed.
  3. And that the non-English language is supported by the software ui.

I have this exact same problem. Running installer from exporer.exe doesn’t help - and I have Java, and flash installed.

Windows 7 - english.

Is there really no fix for this? I tried downloading the latest drivers. I’ll just return it if it’s un-useable.

bill_s wrote:

Three things you need to make sure of:

1. Flash is installed.
  2. Java is installed.
  3. And that the non-English language is supported by the software ui.
  1. Check

2. Check

3. What do you mean by that?

Does WD setup support non-English languages… I tought the WD products are for worldwide markets?

The UI only supports so many languages.  If the language you use on your pc is not supported by the user interface, it might cause problems.

bill_s wrote:

The UI only supports so many languages.  If the language you use on your pc is not supported by the user interface, it might cause problems.

Hello bill_s and thanks reply,

Every other software falls down to english if the language is not supported. Admit that his is a fault in your install disc and please give a fixed disc image that I can burn to my dvd and be happy.

I have tried the same disc with four of my friend pc’s and the same blank buttons. We all have Finnish gui in Windows.

Bill, I think most of us are using English language, so this isn’t the issue. There is definitely a problem and I am a bit annoyed that it is not being taken seriously.

1 Like

I have just discovered the same problem with the CD on a new purchase.  As a check, I downloaded and burnt the iso image, v 1.3.5, and the issue still occurs on that  copy as well.   I have also tried the disks on both 32-bit Vista Home Premium (Intel, integrated graphics) and 64-bit Vista Ultimate (AMD & Nvidia card).

Note that no text shows up under ‘important information’ on the WDSharespace.exe wizard  as well.

Is there any progress on a fix?

I had the same problem and I send a ticket to the WD suport, but they were asking for closing firewall and antivirus. I could see the menue text in a computer with older java version, so I guess it has to do with java. Anyway I looked at the manual pictures and managed to install it in my computer. there are not so many bottons.

The rest of you might try that as well - turn off firewall and antivirus programs to see if it loads.  In the meantime, I will submit this for investigation. 

This issue you are encountering is generally either an issue with flash, java, or DPI/resolution settings.  You can either contact WD Tech Support for help, or you can also download the software off the product downloads page for each product.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

bill_s wrote:

This issue you are encountering is generally either an issue with flash, java, or DPI/resolution settings.  You can either contact WD Tech Support for help, or you can also download the software off the product downloads page for each product.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

• *> I have installed on a fresh pc with new flash and java versions. OS language is not english. Same behavior.
      Have you looked on this issue yet?

I’ve passed it along to be reviewed as a possible bug.

The MyBook World and ShareSpace installation disc predates Windows 7 so that’s why it has problems operating on computers with that OS.  We have no new installation disc but we do have Windows 7 compatible versions of WD Anywhere Backup and WD Discovery.  All you need to do is skip the installation CD, register their drive, and then download the Windows 7 compatible software.

Ohh - so this consumer product requires the user to be an IT Pro?  Silly me!

I have had the same problem on two different machines both windows 7. If this product needs flash and java loaded it should tell you.

Current Flash and Java are installed on Windows 7 x64. Downloaded the current software from support.wdc.com. Buttons are still blank. Turned off firewall and AV with no change in status.