WD Application Installer Buttons are Blank

Its pretty ■■■■ software anyways and I’ve never used it once since the drive is configured thru the web interface completely. Once you configure your drive with a static IP you won’t ever need the Discovery tool. And since this version does not tie into the WD Management components there’s really no use to it anyways.

I can confirm that the button although not appearing on the interface are still clickable.

I just downloaded version 1.1 from the website hoping it would install differently.  Same problem.  Are these people going to stay in business with this garbage for software?

Same problem with a drive purchased today (Dec 8th).

Anti-virus off: no effect

Latest Java: yes

Chance of returning drive to store: currently 100%

Filed help request.

Same problem here with Vista Home Premium SP2. Support keeps sending me form pillar to post: have you installed latest .NET Framework, Java? Can you try compatibility mode? Etc etc ad infinitum and ad nauseam. Instead of just plainly admitting that this IS a bug, not a POSSIBLE bug.

Sando

I just bought my WD 1TB World Edition drive in Tesco.  This is late December 2010…

It has the same problem reported here for months now, without seemingly getting solved. 

I use a bog standard Vista setup and everything else works, and yes it is in English and has Java and even Flash installed.

Steve

02/JAN 2011

I bought it yesterdat 01/JAN 2011 and had the same problem which the installer has no wordings at all.

I cannot even proceed to accept the license agreement.

It only show these the following. When will they solve this issue?

Unpleasant experience on my 1st WD product

I bought a White Edition last week and have the same **bleep** issue!!  I also purchased a MY Book 2.0 about 6 months ago and also have the same problem! 

Have tried it on a brand new Win 7 Dell Laptop and also my Vista machine ( all up to date with evey thing) and still nothing!!  I would have expected some kind of resolution by now from such a big market leader!! 

The problem I have now is I have a bad sector on my older 1TB and wanted to see if there were any tools I could use form the software installer… sadly I cannot see a thing from the buttons!

We’re in the 21st century - we shouldn’t be told to make sure we have this, that and the other… the software should work and prompt us to download things if need be!!  Come on WD!!

Got my first WD product ever for Christmas.  My book world edition II  (4tb).  Same disc issue on three laptops vista and 7 o/s.  Not a great intro to the WD line of products!!!

Dear all who are complaining of this… 

It seems like this will probably affect almost all WD buyers/customers for these products and WD don’t seem to be solving it for us here at all…  so does anyone know of another WD spot where we are meant to report this sort of thing for an actual fix?

If it did work is this product highly secure?  Does anyone know?   I was surprised that if I try and use it without menus/software it seems to try and upload my material/photos to weird and wonderful looking Web sites, when what I wanted to buy was a good quality fully working secure Network hard disk…       Also if I wanted to use it from outside my Network it looks like it gives my ID and password to some other Web site and makes me go via that… why do I want the staff there having access to my network hard disk I wonder…  and who could think that a good idea…?  

It is hard to understand a product when even its own info CD simply doesn’t work…

Steve

I´m having exact the same problem, has it something to do with that I have changed to windows 7 instead og windows XP ?

Just purchased this product and have the same problem on my Win7 64 Bit and also Vista Pro machines. After 6 hours of timewasting its going back to the store for a refund. Anyone suggest any other make that actually works?

Perhaps I can give a little help. (if you please excuse my very “german” English :wink:

I had same issue with my  Win7 HP 32Bit Notebook and with my Win7 HP 64Bit “Home-PC”

After my unsuccessful first try just to start the included CD-ROM I opened the setup-file on the CD starting it in compatibility-mode “as XP with Service-pack 3”

This time it worked without any problems.

What is strange: after downloading the latest “WD Discovery Setup_v1.80_(1035.003).msi” I could not repeat the problem. I just started and the installation worked…

I hope this was somehow helpful… :smiley:

Thanks but  even in compatability mode it doesnt make a difference.

Same for me, even trying out the compatibily method, it still the same.

Sorry that my experience was not helpful…

I just described, what I did – and I have all buttons with text.

Before that I had same empty buttons.

I even cannot repeat the Problem with CD-ROM!

That means, perhaps some Win7- or Java-, or other Update has solved the issue on my PC?

Strange !  :wink:

Good suggestion…I am having the SAME problem, tried compatibility mode, no luck…just blank buttons! I am a bit upset with these WD folks!

Before I ran set up, I right clicked on properties. I went to compatibility mode and at the bottom of the window clicked on the “run this program as administrator” button…THEN it worked and I got my words!

good luck! (running vista home )

Running the setup.exe as administrator solved the problem for me under Windows 7.

Pretty appaling - got WD HD today and doing it for me too.

Latest Java and Flash installed, tried running as Admin, running in compatibility… no joy.

Button text shows for me if I boot into safe mode with networking.