Watching 1080P MKV File over wireless

drabisan,

Thank you for the reply.  The failure doesn’t have the usual jitter/pixelation/stutter that results from bandwidth/throughput limitations.  It just stops playing, gives the message about “lost network connection”, and displays an “okay” button for you to acknowledge that you have seen the error message.  Then you have to use the re-boot/re-play steps to get going again.  If the video stops playing, you also can’t view picutures or look at Youtube without re-booting the player, so it is definitely network-connection-related.

I have used a modified XBOX running XBMC on this same network connection (cabling/router/PC), and there was never any issues…either from bandwidth/throughput or network drops.

I purchased 2 WD LIVE players (one not hooked up yet).  I plan to hook up the un-opened player in that same network position to see if there is different behavior.

That’s a different area. I understood there’s a throughput problem, that’s the reason of my reply.

I think you may need to look into this topic: http://community.wdc.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/tv_live/thread-id/75 for network drop while connecting to network shares.

I never had a “lost network” problem. And my daughter it’s a realy big youtube consumer :slight_smile:

It’s very ugly if your wdtv drops network while youtube-ing…

i just tested a bluray rip in MKV container over my ethernet connection an it worked fine, it was only a 720p tho, i could get 1080p but twice the download time for the same movie in a minor higher resolution isnt worth it, but im sure any issues you’re having is network based

Just an update…after some good ol’ fashioned debug…

I tried these three things (I am running XP home):

1. changed my workgroup name on the server PC to “WORKGROUP”, per posts on here

2. changed DDE and DDE DSM to “automatic”, per a couple different forum boards

3. disabled “Limit Blank Password Use”, per a seperate forum (but found a link on this forum)…but I had to do this by a brute-force registry edit vs. the “easier” methods employed on the various bulletin boards

Two WD Live TV players, both hardwire connected to two different router ports, playing for over 1.5 hours, no drops/network issues/video stuttering/etc.  Slicker than a mayonnaise sandwich.

Thanks to all on the various forums on this site.  Quite a wealth of knowledge, and suprisingly useful (from my naturally cynical perspective).

VM

Vuduman, You said you have yours hard wired to a router? Do you have 2 or 3 routers running then?

I have a netgear N router and i have a linksys wrt54g. I was thinking. If i could turn my linksys into a bridge (somehow) dunno how though. Place the linksys by the tv and hard wire connect the linksys to the wd hd tv would that stop this lagging and stuttering? Or is it basically the same as a wifi dongle? I have a buffalo N mini wifi that chokes at everything i have thrown at it after first 30-50 seconds. Driving me insane!

If this works can you provide detailed instructions?

I just dont understand how my ps3 was capable of playing all my MKV and m2ts files without any issues at all. (Even batman the dark knight with bitrate of like 10,000kbps. Playing same file over wifi with wd hd it chokes. I cant use ps3 due to a firmware upgrade that wont allow any movies to play with out the non stop stuttering.

thanks

slpstang02 wrote:

I just dont understand how my ps3 was capable of playing all my MKV and m2ts files without any issues at all.

You can’t understand how a computer costing five times the price of the WD can do things the WD can’t?  Um, about ten times the processing power, for just one thing.  And while I haven’t looked at the specs, I’m pretty sure there is a ton more RAM in the PS3.

The WD can handle files just fine wired – wireless it can’t handle full M2TS files.  So you encode them with Handbrake and all is well.  You must learn the limitations of your hardware (and software) and be willing to work with them (or try something else.  If you put another computer in place of your PS3 it can probably handle wireless playback just fine).