Wake up wd people we need a firmware uptade ! now

I’m getting tired of my wdtv live !! loads of problems: audio sync with mp4’s, youtube log in crashing the unit and rebooting, network communication take long to wake up, and other stuff !!

but i still use my wdtv hd and i have no problem !! If they want to lose customers and reputation , better hurry with uptades!!! :mansad:

Yes don’t we all need a firmware upgrade.  These things don’t get done over night…A lot of the features requested require a lot of work.

I hope there will be more firmware updates before the EOL.

Because of the nature of .17, something tells me there will be more soon.

8ball2001 wrote:

Because of the nature of .17, something tells me there will be more soon.

Yeah, makes no sense spending the time making the Update Manager more robust if they don’t then release more updates!  It took them 2 attempts (.12, .17), so they obviously intend to at least fix some outstanding issues.  I have my doubts about them adding any major new features.

Be nice to have a roadmap or some kind of release schedule.

We do.

But it took 4 weeks or so for them to mail down the issue of 1.01.12 and fix that with 1.01.17 and that was *after* the 3 weeks between 1.01.10 and 1.01.11… I hope they work on issues concurrently-- otherwise we are going to have a looong wait between firmware update fixes…

radio1 wrote:

We do.

But it took 4 weeks or so for them to mail down the issue of 1.01.12 and fix that with 1.01.17 and that was *after* the 3 weeks between 1.01.10 and 1.01.11… I hope they work on issues concurrently-- otherwise we are going to have a looong wait between firmware update fixes…

You have to remember that some of this period was over Christmas & New year plus it was important that they got the update to work correctly otherwise it would cost them more money in ‘bricked’ units which they would have to replace.

I can appreciate what you are saying Rich.

But WD is a USA-based company, so I doubt there would be a significant slowdown-- especially since the bricks that occurred happened immediately and continuously.

Now, they also must contend new devices on the horizon. I’ll be honest I am quite surprised to be a fan at all of any Western Digital product. I build computers for myself and friends, and up until 5 or 6 years ago or so I used them exclusively (WD drives). But I started get a few bad drives. Not too bad for me, but for friends… Forget it.

The well-regarded WDTV version 1 changed my view on WD. So, I buck up and get the Live. And except for it bricking, it’s been great. But what I am upset about is the squandered potential.

CES 2010 just happened. WDC did not showcase any media players. So, it will probably be the end of this year before they introduce anything new. (If they do, at all) But there are only a few possibilities of the ‘slowness’ of updates and features…

1. New unit under wraps- less resources and focus on WDTV Live.

2. No new unit under wraps- same #1 but WDC will quietly exit media player business.

3. Live is hard to program for reasons (Sigma SDK, not enough resources from WDC).

4. They are planning a massive update with everything over the next several months.

I don’t like those odds. I don’t like that their latest tweet has spotlight reviews from before Dec 7, 2009. I don’t like how there are no more communications after the bricking issue. If Western Digital is in this media player business to stay, they certainly are acting like they are not. Even if they have some super new WDC version of the upcoming Boxee or PopBox, who would buy it from them? Especially, if your Live bricked? I would not right now.

But maybe if they fixed bugs and updated features I would.

radio1 wrote:

1. No new unit under wraps- same #1 but WDC will quietly exit media player business.

I go with #2

The market is about to be flooded with new players from companies that have far more experience in the media player market .  They could devote more resources to the product or they could focus on their core market.  Devoting more resources to the Live would mean they would have to provide enough features to keep people from switching to boxes like the popbox, which comes with things like netflix + tons more online site + apps + wireless + better remote + ability for users to create applications  and can also share media locally and only sells for about $40 more.

radio1 wrote:

I don’t like how there are no more communications after the bricking issue. If Western Digital is in this media player business to stay, they certainly are acting like they are not.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/News-Announcements/Community-Restructure/td-p/7019

Here’s a shred of evidence that they’re in this media player business to stay. I don’t know if it’s enough evidence to believe they’ll survive, but we’ll see. I’m guessing/hoping that the ‘slowness’ of updates and features has to do with more extensive testing. Clearly they didn’t have enough testing in place previously or the mass bricking wouldn’t have happened. The fact that firmware updates also break things shows that they previously lacked enough testing. Only time will tell.

Like I’ve said before, either way, if they get out of the market, they still win because they’re a hard drive company and we will still need hard drives when we switch to boxee or popbox. I had never needed anything as large as a terabyte to hold my data before, and now that I have my dvds on hard drives, I could use more than a terabyte.

nijaju wrote:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/News-Announcements/Community-Restructure/td-p/7019

Here’s a shred of evidence that they’re in this media player business to stay. 

I think you’re confused.

Please explain which part of the announcement supports your claims.

Bill_S wrote:

WD Community underwent some major structural reorganization on 1/20/10 to better service the community development. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Thank you for your patience as we continue to grow. If a post solves your problem, please come back and click on Accept as Solution under Options.

He is talking about the community , i.e. these forums.  He is telling people to indicate when a post solves their problem.

I’m taking the time to explain this as I think perhaps English may not be your first language and you’ve misunderstood what the announcement meant.  You link to it as if it proves something other than they gave the WD TV Live its own category within the forum.  

If you can’t explain the hidden meaning you’re finding in that announcement, please stop linking to it with claims that we should be reassured; it’s confusing and frustrating to click on a link only to find that it says absolutely nothing like what you claim.

So you think that they’ll continue to support and invest in the forums that relate to the product if they’re going to drop the product? That would be ridiculous.

nijaju wrote:

So you think that they’ll continue to support and invest in the forums that relate to the product if they’re going to drop the product? That would be ridiculous.

Invest?  They spent 20 minutes restructuring the forums to how they should have been in the first place.

As for support, what support?  There is no forum support from WD.  There are moderators who move / edit / lock threads and make rare announcements.  They occasionally link to solutions created / found by forum members but I don’t get the impression of them being very active.  Are they even paid or just volunteers?

Creating a community forum is a cheap way to pacify customers and provide basic community driven support, which takes some pressure off the REAL tech support.  But this approach fails when there are bugs and issues that simply can’t be solved by community members.  That’s where we are now.

We’ll know WD are serious about supporting the Live when they release firmware fixing bugs and adding features (preferably in that order).  Forum tweaks cost nothing and mean absolutely nothing.  Sorry to be so negative but that is unfortunately the way it is.

I agree PP.

If you notice all the threads about networking issues- all of the help is from fellow users; not from WDC advisors. I don’t know what capacity the mods here really have. They are nice and all, but all they really do is make some announcements and edit posts (e.g. the TOS).

It’s a real head-scratcher as to what they are really doing.

Yes, we need quick action on the audio issue

You’ve got better chance to get an Ipad before March than get a new firmware fix!!!

hope a new firmware release is presented soon…other players in the mediaplayer market provide more and also good new firmware upgrade’s with new content…

So wd in what kind of timeline can we expect new firmware.

hope they will add dvd menu with it.

nijaju wrote:

Do the mods actually work for WD, they don’t really seem to know anything that is going on, I would guess WD just out sourced the forum to someone from God knows where with no knowledge of the product what so ever. Canned answers is all they ever seem to do.

The ‘mods’ are simply moderators like any other forum. They  ‘police’ the forum and keep it tidy. There are no experts from WD as it is a ‘community’ forum where there is only self help.

After update new version, we get virus (AutoRun.Agent.UD worm)  in my HDD as we connect to WDTVlive player.  We connect HDD to my pc, clean disc, only after connect to WDplayer, we get this virus in HDD again. Do you get new update without virus!!!:angry:

I do have a WDTV live unit & am frustrated the same as fellow posters on this forum.   Everyone is asking for firmware upgrades that would make the unit do the job it is supposed to do.

My question now, are there products made & marketed NOW by competing manufacturers that WORK?

If anyone has had any experience with any, please advise.

best, Aaron

8ball2001 wrote:

Yes don’t we all need a firmware upgrade.  These things don’t get done over night…A lot of the features requested require a lot of work.

Yes, but thats mostly an excuse.Do the linux way: Release early, release often.

Ie, fix a bug then release. Fix a new bug then relase.

Psychological it is a lot better if people see a steady stream of updates even if they are small - as opposed to a really big one every 6 months.

Fix the Youtube rebooting. *bam* release that.

Fix the mp3 crashing. *bam* release that.

Fix mp4 sync problems *bam* release that.

Customers but be a lot happier if they knew there was a new update each week (even if it was small), as opposed to guessing for months when there might be a new one