Volume failure after upgrading My Cloud Mirror 2 to OS5

Hi guys,

I found the way to revert the my My Cloud Mirror 2 back to OS3 2.41.116. Here is what I did:

1. Take out the HDDs and replace them with 2 others blank (just for the safety of the data inside. You need to have HDDs inside to be able to use the My Cloud Mirror 2) / Formatting them to to be able to use (RAID 0 or 1 are fine).
  2. Login the Web GUI using your normal admin account / Settings / Network / Activate the SSH / It will ask for a password, put whatever you want that easy for you to login later (the default user is “sshd”)
  3. Reboot the drive (so the SSH can be fully activated)
  4. Open Terminal / Login the My Cloud Mirror 2 via SSH following these codes:
    ssh sshd@your My Cloud Mirror 2 IP address
    Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)?
    Yes
    Warning: Permanently added ‘IP address’ (RSA) to the list of known hosts.
    sshd@IP address’s password:
    Put your SSH password on
    BusyBox v1.30.1 (2020-09-04 02:41:28 UTC) built-in shell (ash)
    Enter ‘help’ for a list of built-in commands.
    root@WDMyCloudMirror ~ #
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mtdblock1
    dd: writing ‘/dev/mtdblock1’: No space left on device
    10241+0 records in
    10240+0 records out
    5242880 bytes (5.0MB) copied, 1.905316 seconds, 2.6MB/s
    root@WDMyCloudMirror ~ # packet_write_wait: Connection to IP address: Broken pipe
  5. The My Cloud Mirror 2 will be rebooted / The recovery screen will pop out on your web browser (you might need to refresh the tab with the same IP address. If you router does not give you a different one, you need to pop the new IP into your web browser )
  6. Download the My Cloud Mirror 2 OS3 2.41.116 firmware from https://downloads.wdc.com/nas/My_Cloud_BWVZ_2.41.116.bin
  7. Apply the firmware bin file into the recovery screen / After the firmware is installed / the My Cloud Mirror 2 will be rebooted and pop out login screen (you might need to refresh the tab with the same IP address. If you router does not give you a different one, you need to pop the new IP into your web browser)
  8. I faced the problem that I could not use my password to login so I did the full rest by press and hold the reset button on the back of the My Cloud Mirror 2 until it rebooted.
  9. Voila! You are now back to OS3 2.41.116 / Hibernate the My Cloud Mirror 2 / Swap back your HDDs / Turn it on again / Login the Web Gui / Accept the HDDs roaming / You are now back to fully functional My Cloud Mirror 2 OS3 2.41.116 will all of your data on it.

2 Likes