Video Output => Auto => 720p 50 Hz Only!

Hi all, i have WD Live with the latest firmware (1.03.49) attached to my full hd LCD (LG 37SL8000) via a quality HDMI 1.3 cable; my problem is that with “Video Output” set to “Auto” my WD Live handshake with TV always at 720p@50Hz.

With all media types (720p, 1080p, …) i have always TV at 720p@50Hz.

I don’t know if different media type resolution would be affect the video output resolution automatically or with previous firmware the problem persist.

Setting manually resolution to 1080p 24,50,60Hz work with no problems.

Thanks for support.

And the problem is?

That’s exactly what “auto” is supposed to do… it initially asks your TV what’s the signal it would like to receive, and then the WDTV _ always _ outputs that signal.

If you don’t want the TV to automatically initially choose what video setting it wants to receive when the WDTV is booting up, then you need to select a different video mode, and not “auto”.

“Auto” does not keep changing the video mode to match each file.  What would it do when the picture size or aspect ratio or frame rate changes within the file?  Keep trying to change modes on the fly while the file’s playing?

What the poster means is that his TV is capable of 1080p 50 / 60hz but with auto selected he only ever gets 720p 50Hz.

With previous firmware the WDTV did detect the higher rate but now it defaults to 720p with certain TV’s. I have an LG which does the same. I just manually select the 1080p and it ‘mostly’ remembers it.

With regard to his other problem regarding changing with media when I’m with you.

Why my Sony BDP370, negotiate 720p@50hz with 720p videos, 1080p@50Hz with 1080p videos ?

Why WD Live not handshake at the maximum possible LCD resolution (1080p) ?  

Thanks

Thanks richUK you are right.

nakedmoon wrote:

Why my Sony BDP370, negotiate 720p@50hz with 720p videos, 1080p@50Hz with 1080p videos ?

really? Are you sure??

I can’t answer why the TV is only selecting 720 and not 1080 at the initial handshake.

But it will not change output modes as you play different files.  It will just keep the same setting until you change it yourself.

(I think there’s a “won’t” missing in there, Tony, based on the original post.)

Ok, let’s forget about auto resolution feature; i would like understand if the failed handshake at maximum resolution with my LG 37SL8000 could be a firmware bug.

Thanks all   

nakedmoon wrote:

Ok, let’s forget about auto resolution feature; i would like understand if the failed handshake at maximum resolution with my LG 37SL8000 could be a firmware bug.

Thanks all   

I believe it could be.

Me, too. My LG did the same thing tonight… Came up 720p60 instead of 1080p60…

I have the same issue after updating my WDTV to Firmware version 1.04.10_v. Previous version 1.03.49_v always my WDTV handshake on 1080p/60hz in my TV LG 37". 

I think that is a firmware bug. Anybody has answer from WD about this issue? 

I put manually in 1080p/60hz but when a power off and then power on the WDTV again has 720p or my TV LG begin to flicker.

Believe me.   They KNOW.    They’ve been fighting this problem for the last 5 months.   It used to be MUCH MUCH worse, with MANY TV’s affected.    After the latest versions of firmware, it seems to affect only LG and one or two other brands.   They are STILL tweaking it.

My Samsung is doing the same thing. You can change it in the setting but it doesnt look right

Same problem here, I’m an italian user, with one of the last two firmware released (I don’t know which one), if I set HDMI output to “auto” the TV info screen show 720p, but if I manually set the wd tv live to 1080p 60hz it works OK on a LG 42" LCD. I guess that it’s a firmware issue, 'cause with the previous one all was OK.

Bye.

i think this is a verified firmware bug with many lg tv. setting hdmi resolution manually works, but after an ac power loss the wd live forget the resolution settings and boot at 720p@50hz. can someone can move this thread to firmware section and accept this as a firmware bug ? thanks for support

nakedmoon wrote:

… can someone can move this thread to firmware section and accept this as a firmware bug ?

This issue has already been reported many times by many people in the firmware threads.

Tony posted the EDID for his LG 1080p TV in another thread.

In it, you can clearly see that LG have flagged 720p as the “native” resolution.

So this is actually a bug on LG’s end in misrepresenting the native resolution of some of their TV sets.

The alternative is to ignore the flagged native res and output at the stated maximum input.  

The downside to that is some (most?) 720p sets, which are capable of downsizing 1080p to 720p, could potentially get degraded video from the Live upsampling to 1080p, only for the TV to then downsample again.

In any case, it makes no sense for a 1080p TV to declare it’s native resolution to be something other than what it is.  Check your EDID before blaming WD.

PixelPower wrote:

Tony posted the EDID for his LG 1080p TV in another thread.

In it, you can clearly see that LG have flagged 720p as the “native” resolution.

So this is actually a bug on LG’s end in misrepresenting the native resolution of some of their TV sets.

Check your EDID before blaming WD.

This may be true, and it explains why when it auto negotiates, it sets the TV to 720p instead of 1080i. However, the bigger problem is that the WD boxes do not remember the video resolution/frequency or colorspace values when they are manually set by the user.

No one expects HDMI handshaking to work with every TV, However, I do expect that once I manually set the video output resolution/frequency and colorspace, that the WD box should remember those settings the next time that I turn it on. In my case, even though I have manually set the video output to 1080i 60Hz, and colorspace to RGB low, when I power the unit off/on, about 50% of the time it comes up set at 720p (which my TV does not support) and 98% of the time the colorspace comes up set at RGB high.

Why is it trying to auto negotiate when I have already set the video output manually?

PixelPower wrote:

In any case, it makes no sense for a 1080p TV to declare it’s native resolution to be something other than what it is.  Check your EDID before blaming WD.

I’m not blaming WD, but tell me why setting the HDMI to “auto” was interpreted good (1080p) from my LG television before the firmware upgrade? the 1st thing that a medium-skilled user should think is: “Firmware bug”.

Aneurysm:   That’s a good question…

MY Theory is that the previous versions weren’t doing what they were supposed to, or just interpreted the EDID data differently.   

EDID is apparently a very loose standard.   

It could be that the earlier firmwares just chose the HIGHEST reported resolution; not the NATIVE.

Or, it could be that we still have a bug!   

I posted in a whole other thread that ya’ll are welcome to join in on.  

Having the ability to actually decode the EDID data will go a long way to separating the wheat from the chaff.

Scandy wrote:

Why is it trying to auto negotiate when I have already set the video output manually?

Oh, I would blame that one squarely on WD.  :)

If you manually set a resolution, it should stick with it at least beyond standby.

Auto-negotiating after full power down kind-of makes sense, as it could be that you’re hooking the device up to a new TV with different capabilities.  In that case, it should compare the reported native res against what you manually set it to.

Unfortunately, if your EDID is messed up, that means the reported native resolution will be different to your manual setting.

What it needs is to do is compare the manual setting against the reported maximum supported resolution, not the native resolution.  That could perhaps be the best compromise for those manually setting their resolution.

However, that is really a question / debate for another thread though (this one is about the Auto setting).