Video Output => Auto => 720p 50 Hz Only!

PixelPower wrote:

Auto-negotiating after full power down kind-of makes sense, as it could be that you’re hooking the device up to a new TV with different capabilities.  In that case, it should compare the reported native res against what you manually set it to…

I think that the main reason why people set the resolution and colorspace manually, is because auto negotiation did not work with their TV. If auto negotiaion worked, most people would not have a reason to set it manually. That is why the WD box should remember the video settings when powered off/on. If someone wanted to connect a different TV (a situation that does not occur frequently), they could set the hdmi to auto before fully powering down.

You are right…this discussion belongs in a different thread. When I first commented here, I did not realise that this thread was only about auto, sorry! 

Same problem here with my Samsung LCD.

If set to auto, everything will be displayed in 720p and 50hz. This really **bleep** to everytime set back to 1080p60hz in order to watch a 60hz source and go back to 50hz if i want to watch a 50hz source.

It definitely worked before with 1.02.21 pretty fine (even with the 1st GEN WDTV). With this last really good working FW my WDTV Live always used to choosed 1080p in auto-mode and switched to 60hz or 50hz depending on the source.

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but. I am confused as to what to set my WDTVL to. I have it set to “Auto” and when it boots up the hadshake with the TV delivers 1080 60Hz. The thing is that I only have SD DVD’s on my player so is that OK. With my limited knowledge (and believe me it is limited) I assumed that I would have to set the WDTVL at 576 50Hz. and let the TV do the upscaling. Is that correct or should I just leave it at “Auto” as the PQ mainly is pretty good - but could it be better. When I set it at lower res. the GUI looked mushy.

Can someone steer an old g*t in the right direction. Cheers.

BTW. I am a UK consumer.

Unless you have a compelling reason to set it MANUALLY, AUTO works for most people.   However, folks like me get 720p instead of 1080p on Auto, in which case I just set manual 1080p/60… 

But in Auto the WD is setting itself to deliver 1080 @60Hz. If DVD’s are only 576p then is the WDTV upscaling the MKV file to 1080 for the TV or what?

Sorry fgor the naivity, I just don’t understand.

Actually i’m having same problems, i’ve write it on firmware topics…

Here the fact :

Recently, i bought 2 device for my LG 37LE5500,

1. LG BD550 (connected to High Speed HDMI 1.3 cable, original HDMI cable supplied by player)

2. Sony DAV DZ610 (connected to High Speed HDMI 1.3 cable, original HDMI cable supplied by player)

The WDLive also connected into TV using Original PS3 High Speed HDMI cable.

The Result is :

1. WDLive still, (for at least 5 months with differents firmware) having problems with HDMI Resolution (Mode Auto failed, and Manual Set 1080p/60Hz OK but doesn’t remember after turn off the WDLive)

2. LG BD550 run perfectly, does remember the Manual Setting 1080p/50Hz and Color Spaces…

3. Sony DAV DZ610 do upscale DVD to 1080p/60Hz, it also could remember the manual setting 1080p (by Default is Auto 1920x1080).

I had change the WD Cable with 2 other HDMI supplied by Sony DAV and LG BD550, and give same result… It doesn’t remember the resolution and color spaces :cry:

I doesn’t think it LG firmware bug issue… because 2 HDMI device works flawlessly and got no problems…

Any clue ???

*Update :

Desperately, i roll back into 1.02.21 firmware… and suprisingly, HDMI auto resolution issue were’nt happen, it also remembered manual set resolution 1080p… Has checked by turn off and plug out the WDLive power supply…

Sadly, some addon (accu weather etc) doesn’t exist and also have bug in MKV with AC3/Dolby Digital Audio… huft :cry:

caveman38 wrote:

But in Auto the WD is setting itself to deliver 1080 @60Hz. If DVD’s are only 576p then is the WDTV upscaling the MKV file to 1080 for the TV or what?

Sorry fgor the naivity, I just don’t understand.

Yes, that’s exactly right.   The WDTV is doing the upscaling to 1080p60.