VERY slow network speed!

Nicolas-E wrote: I bought my sharepace after reading the “High-speed access, Ethernet connectivity - Provides data transfer rates up to 1000 Mbit/s when used in a GigE network.” on your site. My biggest mistake was to bellive the ■■■■ you have on your site.

As many other here ive tryed to ge

I just wanted to add my disappointment as well. I saw the Gigabit claims on the box and bought a ShareSpace accordingly.  Despite a quality Cisco gigabit router, quality hardware and cabling all around, through-put to and from the ShareSpace is excruciatingly slow. In fact it so slow that when two or more users try to access a file on it, it stops.

Thankfully we have good consumer protection here in AU so on Monday I will be returning the unit to the store. I am also considering filing a claim against WD for misleading advertising.

I’m messing with the device for almost a year and I’m so disappointed. Hadn’t time to cofigure after I bought the ShareSpare. Grace period was over and I had this extremely slow unit. I can’t say how frustrating this speed problem is.

The support obviously not working hard. The problem may be, that its for WD no cash cow. No money no bugfix. Probably a result if you let trainees program the software. Trainee gone. No dokcumentation. No help. Never.

The whole internet is full of posts concerning this issue. Its a punch in the face of every customer to say, that there wasn’t enough negative feedback to look into it. Ridiculous.

We paid a lot of money.

Please do more than in the last 2 years.

If its a hardware problem, then be so kind to take your stuff back and give us hardware that works. I think that WD kowns pretty well what the problem is.

Join my Facebook group to show the world that there is an problem. Google will love the Facbook page. And hopefully new customers get to know the issue before they buy the ShareSpace.

DerSiedler wrote:

Join my Facebook group to show the world that there is an problem. Google will love the Facbook page. And hopefully new customers get to know the issue before they buy the ShareSpace.

I don’t  (won’t) use social networking pages so you’ll have to excuse me. I suppose I prefer my enemies face to face  :wink:

Nevertheless, I can report that my ShareSpace went back today. A full refund has been given and I’ve ordered a qnap. Sure, it costs a lot more but as I have learnt yet again,  champagne tastes and beer pockets don’t go together. 

PS: I should have mentioned that the WD was severely discounted. Maybe that  alone should have alerted me.

Cheers

DerSiedler wrote:

I’m messing with the device for almost a year and I’m so disappointed. Hadn’t time to cofigure after I bought the ShareSpare. Grace period was over and I had this extremely slow unit. I can’t say how frustrating this speed problem is.

Do you have consumer protection laws where you are? Here in Australia if you are able to demonstrate that an item did not perform as advertised (easy with ShareSpace) or that it was not suited for the purpose it was promoted (again, easy with the ShareSpace when you consider it is incapable of sustaining sufficient transfer rates for HD 1080p video) you can claim a full refund. If I’d had it for a year I’d argue that I was hanging on to a faint hope that WD were going to fix it. Which it seems they’re not. 

Hello WD Support!

What happend the last days of “very hard support work”?

Nothing. I think you know this problem for a long time. Please be aware that you sell this piece of ■■■■ also in the European Union and as far as i remember we have hard laws for promising wrong technical features!

Please post someting. Any news is better than no news!

GuiGuy: You did the best! Probably you will never see this msg cause you are enjoying your new Qnap :manindifferent:

DerSiedler: Face-book is not the solution. No one is looking for support there. If you want to save other people from buying this device post to tech forums and here.

Wave64: Where we can find the consumer protection laws for EU?

ALL unhappy sharespace owners should post their speed tests here. I can’t imagine someone buying 4 or 8 TB device to store documents so where are you people?

as usual i have ~70-80 Mbit/s average write speed over 1Gb ethernet switch. FW 2.2.8. My enviroment is: wd sharespace 8tb connected to DLINK DIR-855 router by wire. Other devices on this router is sat receiver, wd tv live, 2 desktops, wifi bridge (WDS) to neighbour building. 

IFK120 wrote:

as usual i have ~70-80 Mbit/s average write speed over 1Gb ethernet switch. FW 2.2.8. My enviroment is: wd sharespace 8tb connected to DLINK DIR-855 router by wire. Other devices on this router is sat receiver, wd tv live, 2 desktops, wifi bridge (WDS) to neighbour building. 

Sounds good… Please tell us the firmware version and if you shut down any services.

my firmware 2.2.8 . WD Sharespace in RAID5 mode. After reading this post im afraid to update to 2.2.9. May be your raid degraded after firmware upgrade and raid in syncing, this may be a cause of poor network perfomance…

IFK120 wrote:

my firmware 2.2.8 . WD Sharespace in RAID5 mode. After reading this post im afraid to update to 2.2.9. May be your raid degraded after firmware upgrade and raid in syncing, this may be a cause of poor network perfomance…

Thank you very much for this info.

RAID resync, think not. If the RAID would do this, the it is much more bad than only slow network. My update was done some weeks before. When the drive is already doing a resync… OH MY GOD… so slow…

I have worked a lot with RAID controllers and rebuilding from crashed RAID systems. If this where the reason, the WD Share space is much more ■■■■ than i thought!

IFK120

as usual i have ~70-80 Mbit/s average write speed over 1Gb ethernet switch

Are you shure that you are not working in WD?

Can you put here a screenshots of your Sharespace network speed?

If WD writes on the box of WD that max speed is 35 MB/s and “your results will vary based on size…”

I think words “your results will vary based on size…”  mean that real speed much slow :slight_smile:

and IFK120 had 70-80

and all other have’got 10

I think someshing wrong with measuring of IFK :slight_smile:

or WD made a special gift to IFK

or WD made a special gift to all other :slight_smile:

I think its a joke … The bottom line I hear that they working on this problem or any problem for the last 2 years

my speed from the NAS and to the NAS is Kbps on a 1GB network (Cisco HW)

and the last information that I received from the WD support that also

and I’m Quoting :

_Thank you for your reply.

Our engineers and support team do look at the forums which is why they list our contact information for troubleshooting over the phone. Our engineering team is aware of the issue and is currently looking to resolve it.

If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further._

I don’t think they doing any think they just stretching the Case by giving you replacement parts and informing you that  they working on the problem

so I’m sorry NO GOOD news for us

Fantastic speed 2.13 MB/s

Ctorrent and twonky running

I writes that I have 70-80 (!) MegaBITS (not BYTES). If recalculate to MBytes it equal ~8,5-9 MBytes per second. But IMHO this is not a real trouble. This bandwidth is sufficient   for me to view FullHD content over WDTV+CIFS+SHARESPACE.

P.S. I dont work in WD, im sure! :-) 

IFK I writes that I have 70-80 (!) MegaBITS (not BYTES)

Sorry :slight_smile:

My mistake

but if during all that thread everyone writes speed in MB/s and people waits a miracle :slight_smile: and you writes

“I have 70-80” it sounds as a hope :slight_smile:

Look at box of Sharespace(I attach above)

They writes “instead of standard 10/100 Ethernet network storage that gives you 8 MB/s our WD Sharespace gigabit Ethernet gives you 35 МВ/s”

But the fact is that instead of standard 10/100 Ethernet network storage that gives you 8 MB/s our WD Sharespace gigabit Ethernet gives you 8 МВ/s

Very funny

Ah. OK. I was confused, too. 70-80 MB/s. That really sounded like a miracle. So no news.

@guiguy & supwner: Facebook ist not the solution, but a way to deal with it in a sarcastic way. And Google does the rest. I look for help using Google. I don’t have a specific forum I consult. And even if you think that this won’t be the right way. Join for fun or whatever. Its Facebook. :wink:

Did you know, that there’s no FB-fan page für WD? Now there is one ür the ShareSpace. Its not only to show the bad sites. I posted some reviews and its all positive except the speed issue.

@WD: Still waiting for help.

Does anyone know why the posted pics disappear?

today I read the review of wd sharespace on ixbt site. It says that WD SS have a old Marvell 88F5281 (core ARM, 500 MHz), 2 chips of RAM 128 MB, SATA controller Marvell 88SX7042 and attention!!! Network subsystem integrated in CPU. I think this is cause of all troubles. Network perfomance goes down when CPU utilization grows up. Tonight I’ll take some screens from ssh console during copying files and we`ll see the cpu load.