USB not showing up on LG blu ray player

Hi, so I recently bought a 5tb My Passport that works and opens in PC but when I plug it into the USB slot on my LG BH7420P blu ray player it doesnt show up. What am I doing wrong please its driving me mad trying to rack my brains… any help would be greatly appreciated and many thanks in advance.

I have an My Passport Ultra 2tb that works ok and shows up on blu ray player but the new one doesnt.

Hi willsc1,

Please know the WD My Passport is tested with windows and mac OS. The drive is not working with the LG Home Theater as its not compatible with the file system.
To make this compatible with you home theater, we would recommend you to please contact the LG technical support they will let you know what File format it supports

Please contact us for any drive related concern.

Contact Support

List of WD support phone numbers.

Assuming the file format is the same on the Non-Working and Working My Passport

The next thing to check is the partition table as a lot of older Bluray Players, Smart TV’s etc only support MBR (Master Boot Record) partition table.

You’ll most likely find the new My Passport uses GPT (GUID Partition Table)

Solution: backup your files, re-format the drive and make sure you select MBR Partition Table. (Note: MBR only supports a Max of 2TB … any size over 2TB then GPT is used)

(there may be software to convert GPT to MBR without formating the drive … but it’s still a good idea to have a backup in case something goes wrong.)