USB internal error 400255

I am getting this error upon a reboot with a USB 2.0 disk attached. Any idea what tthis means? The USB share can be accessed normally.

Hello,

Make sure you have the latest firmware update installed, also try another USB drive to see if you get the same error message.

Hello

I recently started getting this same error , happens once. Only upon a reboot. 

When I called today about this issue, I was very clear: “I am only getting the error within the UI and upon a reboot.”

The tech jumped at me and says “why are you trying to access the device from the dashboard?” That isn’t what I said. (Listen and understand what the customers needs are)

He then asks, “have you mapped the device as a drive?” yes, I have. However, what does that have to do with recieving this error within the dashboard? “well, it shouldnt be happening if you have the device mapped in windows” I was so stumped by his answer, I couldn’t even respond to that uneducated statement.

In the end, the techs “best call” resolution was to back up my data and take the device back to the store where it was purchased from. Seriously? Is this how you were trained to troubleshoot such an advanced product? Furthermore, that is your resolution? Under 3 minutes?

It’s obvious WD’s in house tech support is severly under trained.

This isn’t the first time I’ve called in to them for issues. Perhaps I’m a glutton for punishment and secretly want a good laugh.

i did some googling about this error error and found some information about an error code about the USB disk not being ready. I am extrapolating and guessing there is a startup & detection timing issue. The error definitely shows up upon reboot of the NAS. It doesn’t seem to affect normal file & Safepoints operations on the USB disk.