USB Expansion Port not reading attached Hard Drive

So i’m kind of in a bind. I have the Seagate 3.0 USB 4TB drive that i wanted to add on top of my 3TB My Cloud drive but i can’t get it to mount. It will see the drive when i restart the My Cloud drive with the USB attached, but then just says 0kb free of 0 and have no access to it. The firmware on both the seagate and the my cloud drive are uptodate but still doesn’t work. 

When i try and restart, sometimes the My Cloud will just start flashing yellow/orange and continue until i manually unplug the drive and replug it in. I have a 1TB USB WD portable and that works unreliabaly on it, and i also have a USB 2.0 2TB that seems to be the only reliable one, but exhaustivly slow at trying to use it for anything. 

Any help would be great, read through everything i could find with absolutely no luck! 

Make sure its formatted in FAT / NTFS, scan the drive for errors in Windows, then properly eject the drive in Windows (right click icon in the system tray > eject drive ).  Once its safe for removal, unplug the drive then plug it into the My Cloud

I can’t add a lot, but for what it is worth I never had any good results with Seagate drives.  Maybe has nothing to do with your problem but again, it could just be another bum Seagate product.

I’ve successfully mounted USB-3 drives (2.5" though) formatted with NTFS, FAT32, exFAT, ext4, HFS+ without any special modifications.

I had the same issue. Seagate expansion drive 4TB.  USB would not read from MY cloud.  WD tech support told me to 1) reset the drive, that didn’t work.  Then they wanted me to 2) erase all  my shares and start completely new with the device, that did not work.  Then they wanted me to 3) reformat my Seagate.  Finally, they said to return it for replacement.  Looked on these forums and recognized this as a common issue so I did not like the replacement idea. 

Just bought a WD My book and hooked it up to my USB expansion slot on MyCloud.  Presto, problem solved. Share added and now I have 4GB of space.  And another seagate drive I will just use as a local external on my computer.  So, again, sad customer service in our not so customer service tech support world.  Even the experts at WD do not know what is going on nor do they appreciate the lack of communication between some of their competitors devices with their drives.  It was a not a likely marriage. 

Question: My external hard drive is not recognized when hooked up to WDMyCloud, I don’t see the drive. What did you do to make it available? What Enclosure did you use? A drive letter is assigned and its available when I hook it directly to the laptop USB port.

My USB works intermittently or not at all, rebooting sometimes fixes it, I’ve tried 3 drives from 3 different MFG’s

sometimes they’re all seen sometimes only 1 or 2.

I get one problem sorted and another appears, still the disk never spins down, content scans never finish, drive showing 0% used, etc, my fault for buying it on Friday 13th or QC problems?

Tenlegs wrote:

My USB works intermittently or not at all, rebooting sometimes fixes it, I’ve tried 3 drives from 3 different MFG’s

sometimes they’re all seen sometimes only 1 or 2.

I get one problem sorted and another appears, still the disk never spins down, content scans never finish, drive showing 0% used, etc, my fault for buying it on Friday 13th or QC problems?

I have a Passport 2TB attached to My Cloud via USB and I’m experiencing the same thing. Rebooting once or twice usually brings it back. I went to the extent of doing a factory reset last Sunday and all seemed to be well for a couple of days. Now it’s doing it again.

However, after a couple of reboots, I got a message “USB Internal Error (400255)” … but it connected in the background while the message was up. I hope there’s a fix for this sooner than later because I like the product.