Upgrading to OS 5 and now got flashing blue light and no access to drive

Hope someone on here can help me…

Did a firmware upgrade to My Cloud OS5 for my WD My Cloud drive. But now I cannot access any of my files and it has a flashing blue light on the front.

Have tried the 4 sec and 40 sec resets with no results.

Any other ideas as I don’t want to lose anything on the drive and Im happy to move it on to my windows 10 computer and then reformat my cloud drive and transfer everything back.

please please help me!

Form search (magnifying glass icon upper right) brings up a similar post about a front flashing blue LED. Perhaps something in that lengthy discussion may help.

Thank You… Will have a look.

@sasnet I have bad info for You - i had the same problem after upgrade to OS5, on march. From 3 months my MyCloud is in box in my basement called “electronic scrap”. You can send greetings to WD for destroying Your devices.

1 Like

It should be noted that the devices are generally not really destroyed. what is happening is either the OS5 firmware fails to properly load, or more likely the stupid indexing WD implements in OS5 renders the unit inaccessible. One can try one of the various methods of rolling back / downgrading the firmware that have been discussed elsewhere in the OS5 subforums. Or at the very least recover their data, if using a second gen single bay My Cloud, by connecting the bare hard drive to their computer using a USB to SATA adapter after removing the bare hard drive from the My Cloud enclosure. One will need to either using Linux or a Linux driver for Windows since the data partition the drive is formatted for EXT4.

With the second gen single bay My cloud one always has the option of wiping the drive and restoring the OS3 v2.x firmware from scratch. One example set of directions for doing so: https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Gen2/_Unbricking_en.txt

Hi Sasnet,
I had same problem on Mycloud 4To, After a lot of search I found this (look the video):

It worked fine for me.
Infortunatly I’ve got another problem but I can access the files.

Sorry for my bad english…

Safir

Hi, what does it mean if the blue light is not blinking but permanently on? My device is also not accessible after the update and I was hoping it would come back if I left it on for a longer time (doing the supposedly) indexing. No luck though after several hours, I’m not sure if it helps to leave it running a few days…,

By the way, how would you know if you had a 2nd gen single bay?

Generally on the single bay/single drive My Cloud a solid blue front LED means the device has booted properly and is (supposedly) working properly. There may be additional warning messages however but those are generally displayed in the My Cloud Dashboard. More information about LED status, alert codes, etc. can be found at the following WD Knowledge Base article.

My Cloud Alert Codes, Descriptions, LED Status and Email Notifications
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17203

The single bay/single drive My Cloud looks like this:

If one cannot access the My Cloud Dashboard to check the firmware version then one can check the P/N number on the bottom of the single bay/single drive My Cloud unit to determine version number.
First gen: P/N: WDBCTLxxxxxxx- 00
Second gen: P/N: WDBCTLxxxxxxx- 10

First gen single bay My Cloud supports firmware v3.x and v4.x.
Second gen single bay My Cloud supports firmware v2.x and v5.x.

Thanks Bennor, I definitly have a 2nd gen and I’m guessing it got bricked after the update to OS5. It gives a blue light but I can’t get into the dashboard. Sometimes I get the login screen but only for a few seconds and then all gets stuck.

In a special case like this, is there a way to downgrade or secure data?

Not sure what you mean by downgrade or secure data. Officially WD does not support rolling back to OS3 firmware. However, if one uses the forum search feature, magnifying glass icon upper right, they’ll find numerious threads both in the OS5 section and OS3 section where people tried to roll back to OS3 firmware with varying degrees of success.

IF the My Cloud drive is inaccessible after all troubleshooting methods have been exhausted then one may have to resort, as mentioned previously, to removing/extracting the hard drive. Attaching it to a computer using a USB to SATA adapter. Then use Linux or a Linux driver on Windows to try and access the hard drive and recover one’s data from it. Generally one’s data is stored on the EXT4 partition on the hard drive.

I’ve decided to get the hdd out, buy a Synology and put it in there, hopefully I can get my data off as this also reads EXT4. I’m very disappointed with WD. How can one make an update that ruins everything? I’m sick and tired of the exhaustive browsing for solutions here that lead to nothing. Don’t get me wrong guys, I really appreciate this forum and the people trying to help but actually you should never have to use it!

So thank you all and goodbye!

2 Likes

Where do you download the ‘usbrecovery.tar.gx.’ file from

thanks

in advance

As replied to your other post asking the same question in a OS3 thread, from user Fox’s gen 2 archive.
https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Gen2/