*UPDATED* 29th April. WD colour

Ok ive been playing around with these frontends… trying to find something im going to stick with and eventually dive in and make a full theme.  i just havent found one that im hooked on yet. …

still have lots of ideas to play with. havent used photoshop in years. and also still getting to grips how certain things work… well as its WD, i will say dont work.

anyways any new frontends i come up with will be posted here from now on. 

PLEASE NOTE  : These have only been tested on firmware 2.0717, and as im aware will only work on this firmware. unless otherwise stated.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE : 29TH April 2012

This is WD colour. like some of the ones before this is designed so that the backdrop can be easily replaced without affecting the navigation menu. i have included 2 other backdrops and full instructions how to install them. Please note: even tho only 5 icons are visible, they do scroll.  Also icons change from black / white to colour on selection. if anyone requires the full icon set in colour, it can be arranged :slight_smile:

if you like any of these…please hit that kudos thanks… lol… havent said it before, but everyone else seems to :slight_smile:

backdrop 2

backdrop 3

download frontend, backdrops  http://www.mediafire.com/?qqa65j3j2bedje8

UPDATE : 2Oth April 2012

This is Aqua, have had it sitting around for a little while, thought i would share it. 

Download Aqua :  http://www.mediafire.com/?m7la0rwqtyhaky3

UPDATE : 16TH April 2012

Something a little different. 

Download :  http://www.mediafire.com/?jg06601ggeqddbg

UPDATE : 15TH April 2012 

Decided to make a very simple menu, again its frontend only. But this time wanted to try and stick to the original theme from WD. I didnt like there little animation which slowed down the selection process.

With this frontend the backdrop can be replaced to suit your taste without affecting the menu. they just have to be resized to 1280 x 720 and be in jpg format. I have included the few shown below in the Download, and instructions on how to install them.

Main theme.

backdrop One

backdrop two

backdrop three

backdrop four

backdrop five

Download main theme, and backdrops :  http://www.mediafire.com/?bx9j9qxi97xus2v

UPDATE:  14TH April 2012

Had a couple of requests for the Rivet frontend to be made darker. some were experiencing plasma screens problems, due to being to bright. So this release is just a quick remake with slightly darker look.

download Rivet Black :  http://www.mediafire.com/?c9i0ie1gg3ydqa3

UPDATE : Blue ice updated. fixed slightly over pixelated backdrops caused by to much compression.

download Blue ice v1.1  http://www.mediafire.com/?43pvv2ygdo3qdcc

has been tested on 2.07.17 and latest firmware. thanks to wdtvhub for testing.

download  http://www.mediafire.com/?cnfqn1blhca9adr

7 Likes

The picture is still not visible, it will when the mods approve it.

yeah thanks :smiley:… they always take there time… keep meaning to find somewhere to post them. 

1 Like

Hi Manny

I use photobucket

http://photobucket.com/

There are other similar sites, just google photo sharing 

cool thanks… will look into it… ok should be working now… 

thanks architectonic for the link.

1 Like

ok i have placed an update… please note !!! only tested on firmware 2.07.17. 

1 Like

Nice work.

Works on latest firmware.

Man Rivet version nice and clean… :slight_smile:

it has only been tested on 2.07.17, glad to hear it works on the lastest version… thanks. will update the thread for other users.

does moviesheets work with this?

these are only frontends. not full themes. unless you was using moviesheets on WD standard theme. then the answer is no… 

i personally no longer have a hub., but use my works one to play with. Its on firmware 2.07.17 and has joeys, Aeonish theme installed, and uses his moviesheets. many of these front ends i have copied into the Aeonish theme, so i still can use his sheets.

Looks good mannymiller,  kinda reminds me a little of “Vision2” for XBMC

Any Vacant Positions at your work ?  I would love to get paid by the Hour to do WDTV Live Hub Mods … :wink:

@joey :smileyvery-happy:

most of the work on the frontends are done at home, i just test them at work, if they need any tweaking then i will steal the hub for the evening. think if i threw overtime at the boss for doing these frontends, think i maybe looking for another job.lol.

@mannymiller

Any Regrets selling your Previous / Personally Owned WDTV Live Hub ?

Which Media Player do you use at your Home now ?

@Joey

To be honest i dont regret selling it. i hoped with all the fuss everyone was making, that WD would listen to its users regarding the PNG issue. i have had all of WD streamers and all of them were plagued with bad firmware updates. i didnt use it for online, or use the network facility. i used it souly for playing movies stored on the drive., BUT i wanted it to look nice doing so… so the themes, as well as the moviesheets were important to me. At the moment my panasonic seems to have quite good media playback… divx, and mkv etc. doesnt play .iso but i dont have many.

I have a big electrical store quite close, a few of my good friends work there, so borrow bits every now and then. sometimes i give a review for there magazine. i was doing one on media streamers about a month ago. i was supposed to have the use of 5, but only got the boxee and the hub lol. i didnt like the boxee, and enough said about the hub. i havent been to the store for sometime, but have been told there are many new streamers out there that leave the hub in the shade… to me it has to be customizable. and have moviesheets. so it needs good user backing, which reduces the choice of player to choose from. it wont be WD tho… and im quite stubborn :laughing:

Manny i can see the frustration but keep in mind that the Live Hub is as close as it gets. It plays literally everything, I believe if i squeeze an old vynil record in it it would play it too :smileyvery-happy:

So there is the part where such a device is supposed to be functional, small and easy to use… check check and check, they are selling large numbers and a tiny percentage of their customers is using custom themes, the mainstream customers have never heard of themes nor do they care. This is what WD is focussing on. (this still doesn’t excuse the logically broken library)

At some point I was close to get rid off my device as well because there was a firmware period that was messing with the recognition of external drives, however I am so glad I didn’t because all the other devices out there are either more pricey, have lower storage and can’t do half the stuff. The PNG thing is sad but for the most things there is a work around and Joey did a good job finding the most of them so far.

@Devicious

It is a good player. but the likes of the gen 1 and live wouldnt have sold half as many if it wasnt for the moviesheets etc. it was the only reason why i and many of my friends purchased it. i waited for ages for them to fix the gen 2 firmware, not being able to play .mkvs with compressed headers. yet they worked fine on the live. Every other product in my house, TV, Amp. bluray player, xbox, ps3 etc etc that has a firmware i upgrade without hesitation to the latest firmware, knowing it will work and the only reason for the update is for an extra service that its users want. Unlike WD… as for selling large numbers, those numbers are getting less. 2 stores im aware of have stopped stocking these players. and  there are lots of good replacements out there.

thought i would add a piccy of a work in progress…

mannymiller wrote:

@Devicious

2 stores im aware of have stopped stocking these players. and  there are lots of good replacements out there.

thought i would add a piccy of a work in progress…

thank god 2 locations aren’t representative for the rest of the world :wink:

They are selling great were I live and they will continue to sell great. Tastes are different it is not even discuss worthy :smiley:

@devicious… As i said im quite stubborn. you only have to look at WD latest firmware update. one of the fixes  MLB… they have to be kidding. Im in the uk and im sorry MLB is def NOT for me. and if you read through that post, as usual lots of unhappy people and a few threats to get rid of there players, all those ones and twos add up.

Anyway back to topic. Updated Blue ice 1.0 - 1.1 download on page 1 of this thread. Fixed over pixelated backdrops. caused by to much compression, in exchange for speed.

DeVicious wrote:

So there is the part where such a device is supposed to be functional, small and easy to use… check check and check, they are selling large numbers and a tiny percentage of their customers is using custom themes, the mainstream customers have never heard of themes nor do they care. This is what WD is focussing on. (this still doesn’t excuse the logically broken library)

I think you’ve said it all. So many complaints about the Hub mostly based on the fact that the few of us who use themes can’t have it all. I’ve thought many times about just going with the default theme and upgrading to the latest firmware. After all, I bought it to play media, not to spend hours upon hours trying to get a look that I think is cool. Anyone who spends as much time as we do experimenting are doing it as a hobby, not as a watcher of movies. I spend way more time playing with themes than I do actually watching my movies. WD shouldn’t be admonished so much because they aren’t catering to the minority theme user. This ■■■■■■ plays everything I throw at it, and I really love the machine. Yeah, the themes make it look so much better, but how much time do we really need to spend looking at graphics before we hit the play button.

Just a small update.  A quick remake on the Rivet front end. which can be downloaded on page one. hopefully tomorrow will release A new Hi-Fi front end, which is slightly different.