Update twonkyserver

But you keep saying the same thing over and over.

My MBL is running unmodified Twonky 5.1.9 and it’s streaming MKV fine.    You’re stating it DOESN’T work, I’m stating it DOES.   The only devices that it won’t stream to are my PC’s because I haven’t installed the MKV codec pack for WMP.

I agree that it’s a good thing that Twonky took the bull by the horns to address “the issue,” whatever it might be.   You’re right.  It’s good practice.

Tony: the point is not if the MBL is working on other products then Samsung, but the point is that it’s obvious that it doesn’t work on a lot of Samsung products.

WD should state on their website that (at least for the moment) the MBL has problems streaming MKV files to Samsung TV’s. If I would have read that, I probably wouldn’t have bought the MBL yet. But this is not stated on their website at all, and they can’t expect from me that I would have read this forum before buying it.

WD promises the customer that MKV streaming is possible to DLNA supported devices. Well, my Samsung UE32C6730 TV is DLNA supported and I can stream every format from my PC to my TV with Samsung PC Share Manager (thus most customers will assume the MBL is also capable of doing this) but just not with the MBL through TwonkyServer v5. So they should post a clear statement about the Samsung compatibility problems on the product information page on their website so that (potential) buyers are not falsely informed.

1 Like

Thanks a lot, these steps really work! I succeeded in upgrading TwonkyServer v5 to v6 (I upgraded to the newest version 6.0.34, instead of 6.0.32 from your post). Except between step 6 and 7 you forgot to mention that the files in the new directory needs to have executable rights.

When I followed your steps Twonky would not start at step 9, then I used Winscp to upload the files, after I mod them to 0755 Twonky started up and running successfully! (@ ggartrelle: maybe you can add this step to your post)

Everything works for me with this version! Now I CAN stream MKV files succesfull to my Samsung LED TV (I’m as happy as a little child).

I can play forward/backward, the navigation tree has improved since v5, .srt subtitles work now, DTS and D.D.5.1 can also be streamed to the TV (which forwards it to my audio receiver).

The only thing that doesn’t work yet are thumbnails of MKV movies and the subtitle option is not visible in the tools menu (which makes it impossible to change the timing of the subtitles). I will post this as feedback on the TwonkyServer forums. Edit: to be found over here: http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9827&p=36783#p36783

ggartrelle wrote:

WD Customer Service/Staff has been AWFUL addressing this issue up until this point.  All they simply need to do is supply a firmware upgrade with TwonkyMedia Server >= 6.0.30.  I was planning to return my MyBook Live device, but I thought I would try to upgrade the TwonkyMedia Server on my own first.  I successfully upgraded from 5.1.9 to 6.0.32 today using the following version:

http://www.twonkyforum.com/downloads/6.0.32/twonkymedia-powerpc-glibc-2.2.5-6.0.32.zip

I selected the PowerPC version since that’s the machine hardware name that is returned when I run the uname command on my device:

MyBookLive:~# uname -a
Linux MyBookLive 2.6.32.11-svn21605 #1 Fri Oct 15 17:13:23 PDT 2010 ppc GNU/Linux

MyBookLive:~# uname -m
ppc

To get this up and running only really involved a few simple steps (assuming you are familiar with navigating Linux):

1. Download TwonkyMedia Server 6.0.32
  2. Copy the downloaded package to the /root directory on your MyBook Live device (e.g., using scp)
  3. Unzip the downloaded package in the /root directory
  4. Create the following folder: /usr/local/twonkymedia-6.0.32 (NOTE: the original installed TwonkyMedia Server 5.1.9 is installed in /usr/local/twonkymedia-5)
  5. Copy the following files and directories from /root to /usr/local/twonkymedia-6.0.32:
  • Linux-HowTo.txt
  • RevisionHistory
  • cgi-bin/
  • plugins/
  • radio.m3u
  • resources/
  • twonkymedia
  • twonkymedia.sh (you don’t really need this)
  • twonkymediaserver
  1. Copy the following files from /usr/local/twonkymedia-5 to /usr/local/twonkymedia-6.0.32:
  • bg_trans
  • start_bgtrans.sh
  • twonkymedia-server-default.ini
  • twonkymedia-server-default.ini.orig
  1. Copy the file /usr/local/sbin/share-param.sh to /usr/local/sbin/share-param.sh.orig to create a backup copy
  2. *VERY IMPORTANT STEP * Edit the /usr/local/sbin/share-param.sh file and set twonky_dir=/usr/local/twonkymedia-6.0.32
  3. Restart the TwonkyMedia Server: /etc/init.d/twonky restart

You should be able to verify that TwonkyMedia Server 6.0.32 is up and running at this point by pointing your browser to the TwonkyMedia Server config page ( http://<your_ip>:9000/config) or by going to the MyBook Live UI and viewing the settings page for TwonkyMedia (Settings > Media > Twonky > Status).  Either page should show the TwonkyMedia Server version as 6.0.32.

If you ever need to switch back to 5.1.9 for any reason (which I have no idea why you would want to), just edit the share-param.sh file and change the twoky_dir setting back to its original value (set in /usr/local/sbin/share-param.orig) and restart Twonky (/etc/init.d/twonky restart).

This version of TwonkyMedia Server requires a license after the 30-day trial period ends, but at least you have that amount of time to evaluate it. I downloaded this version because I had problems streaming MKV video files from my MyBook Live device to my Samsung LED TV. I verified that this version resolves that issue.

Hope this helps!

Alias: Gordon.Gartrelle

Hey Mark.  I have the same problem networking MBL with a samsung LED TV and I would really like to stream mkv files with dts audio.  I don’t use or know linux. I only use windows XP.  Could you help me with a step by step procedure for dummies /newbies?   Here’s some terms I don’t understand: What’s a uname command? And step 2 says “using scp”, what is “scp” and where do I get it from? You wrote “then I used Winscp to upload the files, after I mod them to 0755”, how do you do this?

Is this possible to update using a windows OS or does it only work using a linux OS?

I also use Win XP, but that has nothing to do with this. The OS that is running on the MBL is Linux based. You don’t need Linux on your own PC to access the OS of the MBL. The step by step procedure for updating TwonkyServer is described above in my previous post. If you don’t know how to do this, I recommend you to ask a friend who is an expert in computers. Be very careful tweaking your MBL because it may crash your MBL(!!)

Winscp is an FTP client to communicate with your MBL. You can download the portable version over here: http://winscp.net/eng/download.php.

Before you do this, make sure SSH is enabled on your MBL in order to install software and to make tweaks. How to enable SSH? Go to http://mybooklive/UI/ssh and enable ‘SSH Access’. After that you can login your MBL with Winscp by using the ip adress of your MBL, the username ‘root’ and password ‘welc0me’.

Chmod to 0755 is nothing more then assigning rights to a file (using Winscp).

Thanks. I did everything but when I typed the restart command I got this error:

/usr/local/twonkymedia-6.0.34$ /etc/init.d/twonky restart
PID file /var/run/mediaserver.pid not found, stopping server anyway…
twonkymedia: no process killed

TwonkyMedia server not found.

How  should I restart it?

Sounds like you missed step 8 or mistyped something.

I’m pretty sure I did #8.

I got the file from here, the 6.0.34 linux manual installation

http://www.twonky.com/support/downloads.aspx

Is that the right one?

And u dont use the share-param.sh.orig right?  Thats just a backup on my computer.

No, look at step 8 again. That file is not included in the Twonky distribution, it’s a file on the MBL.

I did that.  Just making sure I used the right file. Here’s what it looks like: (All I did was change the last number from 5 to 6.0.34) Do you know another way to restart?

#!/bin/sh

© 2010 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved.

###########################################

share setup files

###########################################
trustees=/etc/trustees.conf
sambaOverallShare=/etc/samba/overall_share
hostsConfig=/etc/hosts
networkConfig=/etc/network/interfaces
dnsConfig=/etc/resolv.conf
dhclientConfig=/etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf
ntpConfig=/etc/default/ntpdate
smbConfig=/etc/samba/smb.conf
remoteAccessConfig=/etc/remote_access.conf
itunesConfig=/etc/forked-daapd.conf

userConfig=/etc/passwd
passwdConfig=/etc/shadow
smbpasswdConfig=/etc/samba/smbpasswd

ownerUid=999
adminDefaultAlias=“admin-dfalias-wd”

3G required for F/W update

fwUpdateSpace=“3000000”

fileTally=/var/local/nas_file_tally
twonky_dir=/usr/local/twonkymedia-6.0.34

So you’re using a slightly newer version than the instructions above. I assume you substituted the appropriate directory name for all the ones listed as 6.0.32 above?

The 6.0.34 (linux manual installation) you provided the link to did not work with me either. Use the link provided in this thread to get the 6.0.32. You should get it up and running with that.

Yeah, I did the same thing as markvm.  I’m just dragging and dropping with winscp.  Do the files need to stay in the /root folder or can these be deleted?  OR is it the / folder

That link YOU used only allowed me to download the i386 build, NOT the PowerPC build. You need the PowerPC build.

I just did the power pc 6.0.32 version and still cant restart it. Should I pull the power cord on the MBL to restart?

Man this is complicated.

BTW I appreciate all the help.

It says “Daemonizing” now and the twonky config is 6.0.32.

I’ll check if it streams MKVs tomorrow.

I downloaded and upgraded to the latest version (6.0.34) which can be downloaded over here:

http://www.twonkyforum.com/downloads/6.0.34/twonkymedia-powerpc-glibc-2.2.5-6.0.34.zip

Have you also followed the additional steps I have written about?

• between step 6 and 7 the files in the new directory need to have executable rights
  • Twonky would not start at step 9, so I used Winscp to upload the files, and after I mod them to 0755 Twonky started up
1 Like

Works great!  Thanks Mark. 

Now is there a way to get the Twonky license for free?

I don’t think so.

Thank you for everyone who posted the tutorials on how to upgrade the Twonky Server software for the My Book Live drives. I too was very frusterated that My Book Live would not stream video to my Samsung Tv via DLNA. Yes all that is needed is a Twonky software upgrade, and I am happily streaming video now. Please note you will need to puchase a new Twonky Server software license, the trial is 30 days but after that you will need to pay $19.95. I used the free Putty ssh software program using Windows 7 to upgrade my drive, and thought I should share my steps here, its very straightforward, and I updated the links to the newest Twonky software version 6.0.34 as of 07/29/11.

All credit goes out to Dav M and Gordon who initially started the tutorials and most of the steps from mine are cut and pasted from Dav M’s. Thanks man!

Before proceeding make sure your WD My Book Live firmware is updated to the latest version.

1. In your web browser go to your WD My Book Live Local Network Interface at: YOUR MYBOOK LIVE IP ADDRESS/UI (ie:192.168.0.???/UI

2. Go to “Settings”

3. Go to “Utilities”

4. Go to “Import/Export Current Configuration”, then click “Save Config File”.

5. Open saved file with a text editor ie: notepad.

6. In the text file look for "ssh_enable=“disabled” and change to "ssh_enable=“enabled” and save.

7. Go back to the Import/Export Current Configuration and import the file you just edited. This now enables SSH on your drive for the Putty program to work.

8. Download free Putty SSH software at: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

9. Enter the My Book Live IP address (ie:192.168.0.???) in the Host Name box in Putty.

10. The username is: root password is: welc0me (the O in welcome is the number ZERO)

11. Change current directory to /usr/local :

cd /usr/local/

1. Backup twonky5 :

mv twonkymedia-5 twonky5old

1. Create a new folder for twonky5 (I keep the original name, so you don’t have to edit param file) :

mkdir twonkymedia-5

1. Go in it :

cd twonkymedia-5

1. Download twonky 6.0.34 :

wget http://www.twonkyforum.com/downloads/6.0.34/twonkymedia-powerpc-glibc-2.2.5-6.0.34.zip

1. Unzip it after download :

unzip twonkymedia-powerpc-glibc-2.2.5-6.0.34.zip

1. Rename script of WD Live to avoid it rewrite twonky param every startup :

mv /usr/local/sbin/writeTwonkyContentDir.sh /usr/local/sbin/writeTwonkyContentDir.sh.old

1. Reboot :

reboot

1. After reboot you can config twonky with http://yourip:9000/config

2. Enjoy !

All process (you can copy/paste it in ssh) :

cd /usr/local/

mv twonkymedia-5 twonky5old

mkdir twonkymedia-5

cd twonkymedia-5

wget http://www.twonkyforum.com/downloads/6.0.34/twonkymedia-powerpc-glibc-2.2.5-6.0.34.zip 

unzip twonkymedia-powerpc-glibc-2.2.5-6.0.34.zip 

mv /usr/local/sbin/writeTwonkyContentDir.sh /usr/local/sbin/writeTwonkyContentDir.sh.old

reboot

3 Likes

Thanks for the instructions. I cannot run the unzip command from the Putty shell - it seems that the command does not exist on the WD drive. I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,