Uninstall WD QuickVew, your device will sleep!

I’ve been noticing that my unit doesn’t goto sleep whenever I have my laptop tunrned on, but at the same time not using anything in the MyCloud device.

Have also seen so many people complaining about MyCloud doesn’t goto sleep and wakes up for no reason.

I found at least one of the resaons why the device doesn’t sleep when not in use - it is the WD QuickView application running in your PC. I uninstalled it on the basis of this doubt, and MyCloud started sleeping within about 12 minutes. :smileyvery-happy: Now the device is sleeping all the time it is not in use, and doesn’t wake up just like that.

WD - Why does this happen, does the app keep reading the files on the device or does some polling all the time?

Hello,

Thanks for sharing your experience on the community.

Since WD Quickview comes with the WD Smartware backup software, it’s possible that the unit might be accessing the unit to check the data and to keep the backup software running check for new changes on the files.

It will sleep as long as you disabled the SmartWare backup

My unit does NOT sleep (4TB MY CLOUD).

I just realized I’m on a Gigabit Switch with a “green” power savings feature. I’ll hookup directly to the Router and see if that works.

*I assumed the WDMYCLOUD had a simple timer to initiate shutdown so being on a switch should not matter. Am I mistaken?

A “Green” switch shouldn’t have any effect on Sleep performance.

My device won’t sleep.

Here’s what I’ve tried:

1. Manually shut down via Dashboard DOES WORK (won’t turn on again though without unplugging).

2. Turn off all other networked devices.

3. Attach MY CLOUD directly to the router (not switch).

4. Unplug the ethernet cable (just flashes white light but doesn’t sleep).

I knew there were a few “growing pains” when I bought this but the inability to sleep is a deal breaker for me. If WD can resolve this in the near future I’m happy but otherwise it will be RETURNED.

Mine won’t sleep either,

The content scan status seems frozen on my device and always shows “Scanning” never idle so

I’m wondering if this might be stopping the drive from sleeping?

I tried everything except a quick/full system factory restore which would wipe the drive.

I’ve also tried >Settings>Media>DNLA Database>Rebuild & Rescan which both complete correctly,

the drive also shows zero usage, should be about 130GB.

So anyone know how I can get it to finish scanning?

Scanning issue:

I’ve had problems with Internet Explorer 11 in Windows 8 which the Dashboard launches. It may be an issue with Antivirus as well, but THIS works for me:

1. Launch Dashboard

2. Copy the link, then close IE

3. Open FIREFOX (or Chrome) and paste in the link and run.

In Firefox the dashboard feature works fine. Alternatively, if this is the issue, you can set Firefox as your default Windows browser and it should launch when selecting the Dashboard.