Unable to view content B-I (on four machines now and getting angrier)

Two weeks ago I purchased a WD media player and it hides all files between B to F.  So I returned it for a second one, that didn’t start all. So I returned it for a third one, that didn’t play files again. So I’ve returned it for a fourth one, that still hides all files between B to I.

I saw that other people are having the same problem (A to F) and that we have to reset to factory settings.

EVERY SINGLE TIME I TURN IT ON!

Every time I go to use these machines, I have to reset them to factory, losing all paswords and network connections.

EVERY SINGLE TIME!

So I keep returning them.  Not how I want to spend my weekend, and they can’t resell them after I’ve trashed them. Tomorrow I’ll be buying WD TV No. 5, probably finding out it’s **bleep**, and returning it again. 

I’ve tried your help line, but the person who responded had no idea what a Media Player was and wasn’t able to work out his own site or give any advice on the product.

The most upsetting thing is I had the older model which only died recently and I loved it, so finding out these new ones are garbage is really upsetting.

You think that issue is a HARDWARE PROBLEM??!! You’re insane.

Never said the words hardware. You’re hallucinating. Get help.

brussell wrote:

Two weeks ago I purchased a WD media player and it hides all files between B to F. 

So I returned it for a second one, that didn’t start all. So I returned it for a third one, that didn’t play files again. So I’ve returned it for a fourth one, that still hides all files between B to I.

So I keep returning them.  Not how I want to spend my weekend, and they can’t resell them after I’ve trashed them. Tomorrow I’ll be buying WD TV No. 5, 

No halucination here… You keep replacing them.   They all run the same software, so what else are you expecting to change other than hardware? 

brussell wrote:

I saw that other people are having the same problem (A to F) and that we have to reset to factory settings. 

Really?  Only similar post I find is this one, and he never came back to report which of the three suggestions worked.  Yeah, there might be a few others, but certainly not common.  I have over 4,000 files on my NASes, and not a single one is absent.

I’d like to get one that works, whatever the problem.

Try dialectical behaviour therapy. Ecopsychotherapy. Or prozac. Whatever your mental health issue, there’s someone out there to help you. By your reaction, I’m guessing narcasistic personality disorder, with a helping of hysteria. Maybe Jungian sand play would be good, you get to play in a sand pit with dollies!

brussell wrote:

Try dialectical behaviour therapy. Ecopsychotherapy. Or prozac. Whatever your mental health issue, there’s someone out there to help you. By your reaction, I’m guessing narcasistic personality disorder, with a helping of hysteria. Maybe Jungian sand play would be good, you get to play in a sand pit with dollies!

Heheheh…  That’s funny.   Now lets see if we can actually figure out your problem.

Are you using Network Shares, Media Library, or Media Server as the content source?

If Media Library, do they show up when you switch to Network Shares, or by using the FILES app instead of the VIDEOS app?

If the answer to that last question is YES, then the problem is with respect to Media Library database.  In which case,

– Have you tried to clear it and rebuild it?

– Are you sure all the metadata is present and correct for the missing files?

– Are you sure your current filter isn’t excluding them?

– Other than the B-I name, is there anything else common only to those files?  (Media type, container type, etc.)

– How are your media arranged / organized?   Are they all in the same share?  Multiple shares?  Are the missing files common to the same share?  Do other files in that same share show up?

– Does this affect only VIDEOS?  Or does it affect MUSIC as well?

– Is it possible these videos are mistakenly showing up in the MUSIC tab?  (Sometimes MP4 videos get classified as MUSIC since the file extension is ambiguous).

Are you using Network Shares, Media Library, or Media Server as the content source?

-No, I just plug in a USB and either transfer across or play from the USB.

If Media Library, do they show up when you switch to Network Shares, or by using the FILES app instead of the VIDEOS app?

-I don’t use Network Shares or Files app. 

-The files are fine and played okay on the older model or if I play them directly on the TV or computer without the WD TV. 

-There is no filter.

-No, they are mixed content, mostly MKV, AVI, MP4

-I don’t know what you mean by share in this context.

-I don’t play music.

-Nothing in the music tab, and they are mixed content anyway.

It just hides all files between B and I.

If the answer to that last question is YES, then the problem is with respect to Media Library database.  In which case,

– Have you tried to clear it and rebuild it?

– Are you sure all the metadata is present and correct for the missing files?

– Are you sure your current filter isn’t excluding them?

– Other than the B-I name, is there anything else common only to those files?  (Media type, container type, etc.)

– How are your media arranged / organized?   Are they all in the same share?  Multiple shares?  Are the missing files common to the same share?  Do other files in that same share show up?

– Does this affect only VIDEOS?  Or does it affect MUSIC as well?

– Is it possible these videos are mistakenly showing up in the MUSIC tab?  (Sometimes MP4 videos get classified as MUSIC since the file extension is ambiguous).

Bit more info…

It will show all files, someimes for a day or two, then the screen flickers and the files disappear.  So it’s not that it can’t show the files, it just changes, usually within a week or so of purchase.

brussell wrote:

I’m not sure what you mean.  Your content source has to be set to SOMETHING…

brussell wrote:

-I don’t use Network Shares or Files app. 

I’m asking you if they show when using the Files app – not whether you typically use it normally.

I’m not sure what you mean.  Your content source has to be set to SOMETHING…

Turn on the WD TV, press the home button, go to videos… 

When setting it up, I chose ‘local storage’, that is, the USB.

I’m asking you if they show when using the Files app – not whether you typically use it normally.

Never used it. Had to hunt around to find it.  It shows the same content in the same way, but with dates. No other diffrence.

Can you post a screenshot of the videos screen where movies are missing?

Not a screen shot as it’s not hooked up to the computer, best I could do was a photograph… It worked for two days, then folded files from B to I again…

Try turning the media library function entirely off.

Have done. Will let you know if there’s any improvement (currently it folds the files about once an hour).

Update:

1. Turned off media library function

2.  Disconnected from network

1. Cleared media library history

2. Reformatted USB from FAT32 to NFS

So far so good. It still flicks around madly, but it hasn’t folded files for about 5 days. Fingers crossed…

At this point the error hasn’t re-occured. I’ve lost about half the function of the unit, which is a shame, but not necessary. 

Thanks for trying to assist.