Unable to transfer file to WD NAS

I have over 1TB of free space. When I attempt to copy any file, even a .txt to my WD Cloud I get the circle with the slash through it symbol (no symbol). I have already attempted rebooting modem/router/cloud/PC and continue to have the same issue. I can play any video already on my cloud seamlessly to any source in my house. If I choose to copy/paste, paste is essentially grayed out, drag and drop gives me the “no symbol”. I am simply trying to do what I have done hundreds of times before and move a .mkv, .avi, or .mp4 to the drive and it won’t transfer. I’m using an ASUS PC with Windows 8. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi, 

Welcome to the WD Community. 

Is this happening when you try to copy the files to the public folder? If yes, try performing a system only restore. 

If is not to the public folder, check the setting for that share on the dashboard to see if the share is set to read only.

Thanks for the reply and suggested solution. So, I did the system only restore, and unfortunately it’s the same result as previously. There may be something I am missing however as I don’t have a read/write option and only when I select “Users” on the dashboard under the “Share Access” everything is grayed out to where I can’t make any changes. It shows the Share names I had previously setup and “Public” to the far right, here’s a screenshot. Looking forward to the next response, thanks.

1. do you get the same behavior from another pc ?

2. can you create another user with full permissions and do you have the same problem with the new user ?

3. do you get the same behavior from mobile ?

4. did it ever worked, if yes, do you have a config file to restore ?

5. did you try a hard reset fro mthe back of the device ?

1. do you get the same behavior from another pc ? only attempted from this PC as only PC setup in the house with the cloud. 

2. can you create another user with full permissions and do you have the same problem with the new user ? created a new user and duplicated identical issue.

3. do you get the same behavior from mobile ? didn’t think to try, never accessed via mobile, not sure how to transfer a file via mobile.

4. did it ever worked, if yes, do you have a config file to restore ? worked until a few weeks ago without any config changes, all devices (PC, XBOX, PS4, WD media player, etc…) see the cloud and play from the cloud.

5. did you try a hard reset fro mthe back of the device ? negative, but willing to try if it doesn’t delete the data, have a few hundred files stored on the cloud and no backup.

First you should try to do a factory reset from the dashboard and see if that helps. Give it time to complete the process otherwise you could end up with this problem
http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud-EX2/EX2-Reset-now-can-t-get-it-back-working/m-p/839505/highlight/true#M2251

If that didn’t work then i would try the hard reset from the back button.
According to the info from WD thus process should not delete the data on the HDDs unless you format the disks.

PS: one NAS does not mean backup. It’s only storage. You need one more device to do a backup for this NAS. I strongly recommand that you also try to do a backup via USB and see if that works.

Also i remembered that one guy here lost the folders. After he created new folders with the same names he got his initial file structure back…so just incase :slight_smile: