Unable to obtain IP address

Hi,

It used to work all fine. But know when I ask for an Automatic Network Connection I get “Unable to obtain IP address”.

I connect to my Router ( a Belgacom BBox 2 which I believe is a Sagem F@stnet 3464) via ethernet cable.

I have tested the same wired connection to my PC and it works, so I deduct my Router is fine and my cable works fine.

All other computers in the home work fine.

Another weird thing is that when i connect the cable from my router to my WDTV i loose all internet connections on my computers.

Anyone who can help?

Ivan

I have the same scenario except that I just got the player and it says it cannot obtain an IP address. Worked fine when hard-wired. I went back to Best Buy and they took a new one out of the box , hooked up an adapter and had the same problem! I left and they still didn’t have it working!!

I was able to make it work by setting the network Manually

At first it did not work again, but then I realized I had 255.255.0.0 in the subnet mask instead of 255.255.255.0

So bottom line: Try Manual and make sure you enter in the correct numbers.

Good Luck.

Ivan

Are ya’ll trying adapters that are supported?

In other words, you actually get the Wireless Configuration Menu, and set that up, get associated with your Wireless AP, and still don’t get an AP?

Tony,

Is an adapter = router?

“In other words, you actually get the Wireless Configuration Menu, and set that up, get associated with your Wireless AP, and still don’t get an AP?”

I am not very knowledgeable in this area. What is the Wireless configuration Menu and where do I found that? and how do I Associate with my wireless AP?

No, adapter is not router.

The adapter is what you plug into the WDTV (the Wireless USB)

At least, I presume you’re trying to do WIRELESS?   Because WIRED does not require an adapter.

If you plug in a supported Wireless Adapter, then when you go to SETUP / NETWORK  you’ll see two options:  WIRED or WIRELESS.

If you do NOT see that, then the adapter is not supported, and of course you won’t get an IP.

I use a Wired connection from my router to my WDTV Live.

Ivanv, the question was directed at Ellvira.

You said you already got yours working.  ;)

That’s true except for the Automatic part.

ivanv:  So, back on your point, I would conjecture that your router is NOT fine, regardless of the fact that the other PCs appear to be working normally.

I presume your router is acting as the DHCP server.   If the WDTV is NOT getting an ip address automatically, then one of three things is happening.

1>  The router is not receiving the DHCP request from the WDTV.

2>  The WDTV is not receiving the DHCP response from the Router.

3>  The WDTV does receive a response, but the WDTV believes it’s invalid.

Further, I can’t imagine ANY scenario where the attachment of a WDTV (configured in Automatic Mode) to a properly functioning network renders the network useless to all other clients on the network.

Unfortunately, problems like this are dang near impossible to diagnose unless you happen to have an ethernet HUB available (NOT a switch) to tap into the network connection from the WDTV.

I do not have an Ethernet Hub available.

I will consider my router broken and will ask Belgacom for a replacement. then we’ll see if everything is back to normal.

In the meantime i will use the manual setup when necessary.

Thanks for your help.

I have exactly the same issue.

I am using a wired connection, my network is fine - DHCP works fine.

Im on firmware 1.02.21

I can watch films when on a USB stick.

WDTV Live - always been wired and hadnt used it for a month or so and tried it again and nothing. Cant obtained IP address.

When I configure the network settings manually it fails at the DNS check stage.

I’ve reset to factory settings and tried everything again, still no luck.

Bad network chips? Overheating of the network chips? Firmware issue?

So, it worked fine a month ago, and now nothing?  NOTHING changed between now and then?

Yeah, nothing has changed.The network hasnt changed at all, same configuration, same cables, I havent even logged onto the modem until yesterday to see if theat gave me any clues.

I did notice that the unit felt very hot and i’ve read elsewhere that the network chips maybe very sensitive to heat?

I’ve also read that the cable between the unit and the switch could also be the cause but as it was working fine before im sure this can be ruled out.

There seems to be quite a few people with the same issue as me…

the same issue.

using wireless dongle supported by wdtv live.

unit succesfully detects wifi network, then i choose manual configuration (no dhcp at all).

address 192.168.113.3

netmask 255.255.255.248

gate,dns 192.168.113.1

first it says ‘wrong netmask’. surprise, isn’t it? well, fill with 255.255.255.0 and get ‘cannot obtain ip address’. hmm…

ad-hoc wifi, maybe that’s the reason? other linuxes and windows work fine.

Hi all,

I’m getting the same problem with wifi.

There’s no way to setup the wdtvlive with the wifi, everytime I try with automatic or manual setup I always get the message “unable to obtain ip address”.

So I was thinking my wifi adapter wasnt fully compatible with my network and disabled the security from my router, and surprise it works.

I’ve noticied the wdtv has problem when “connecting” to encrypted wifi networks, because disabling the encryption security option It just works.

Finally I think is a firmware problem.

Any news from Western Digital team? :smiley:

NKjoep wrote:

Hi all,

I’m getting the same problem with wifi.

There’s no way to setup the wdtvlive with the wifi, everytime I try with automatic or manual setup I always get the message “unable to obtain ip address”.

So I was thinking my wifi adapter wasnt fully compatible with my network and disabled the security from my router, and surprise it works.

I’ve noticied the wdtv has problem when “connecting” to encrypted wifi networks, because disabling the encryption security option It just works.

Finally I think is a firmware problem.

Any news from Western Digital team? :smiley:

It certainly works with my encrypted WI-FI network. It may depend on what encryption you are using. I certainly would not leave my WI-FI network open.

My box with the netgear evaw111 usb adapter can connect to the wifi only if the network has no security :frowning:

Of course, I do prefer to not use wifi with wdtv rather than leave my network open!!! :) 

I was just telling how it doesnt work…

edit: I’ve tried WEP, WPA and WPA2 with no luck. What encryption are you using?

What kind of security+encryption do you have on your router?

I use WPA2-PSK with AES encryption and there’s no problem with it.

I have a Cisco router and Cisco AP, but I had a Linksys wifi router and everything worked well all the time. Maybe your router use some strange encryption flavours not supported by WDTV+wifi adapter and that’s the reason. Try using standard security+encryption.

I’m using WPA pre-shared key with TKIP, and the password is only numeric with 10 numbers.

btw… is there a way to not use a standard encryption? :smiley: using the router just have to choose wpa or wep and write the password :wink:

I’ve tried with short wep, long wep, wpa tkip, wpa aes and no way.