Tool to preLoad "Get Info" metadata for movies (no TV series)

thetvdb.com has an API so I’m going to have a go at making a TV Series collector this weekend.

Hello,

1. Choosing language should be feasable normally, I’ll look into it, probably next week.

2. I’m already using the " www.thetvdb.org" API… and am working on it to support searching for episodes… should be readysomewhere during the weekend.

What is the proper way to name the files?

I tried a program called “TheRenamer” to rename all my series. It queries thetvdb so the series can be found. However, when trying WDTVLiveMetadataLoader1.1.1 I can’t get any hits. 

Example file: Family Guy.S09E01.And Then There Were Fewer.mkv

How should files be named?

Good point. I tried renaming a Stargate Atlantis episode in several different ways. Even copying it word for word as it appears on the tvdb webpage but still no joy.

Just a little more patience, tonight or tomorow I’ll have a few hours to solve the problem and post a new version…

The API is very basic, so you need to program the cleaning and parsing of the filename yourself instead that the API would do this like a search engine… but I’m going to implement it this evening or tomorrow evening… 

You’re a star roggy cheers

Great news!

Roggy: If you want, I’m always interested in contributing myself (testing and/or coding), just let me know

is there a way to store metadata locally as opposed to linking to themoviedb.org?  i have a rather large movie library and i’ve always been more partial to keeping my user interface data on local drives instead of linking to an online source.  i’m aware that there would be plenty of image downloading/cut & pasting of txt for me to do it all manually.  but i was curious as to how to do it if anyone knows.  eg, where to create and organize folders.  thanks in advance to anyone that can help!

alohahd wrote:

is there a way to store metadata locally as opposed to linking to themoviedb.org?  i have a rather large movie library and i’ve always been more partial to keeping my user interface data on local drives instead of linking to an online source.  i’m aware that there would be plenty of image downloading/cut & pasting of txt for me to do it all manually.  but i was curious as to how to do it if anyone knows.  eg, where to create and organize folders.  thanks in advance to anyone that can help!

The basic info is stored locally once you get the info. The only thing you get from them after that is backdrops when in gallery view.

Great tool!

One more question - What’s the best way to go about scraping metadata for movies that have been split onto 2 CDs?  (2 avi files)

Currently I have such movies named as “Raging Bull.1.avi” and “Raging Bull.2.avi” and the tool isn’t finding any information.  Can anyone help?

Thank you!  I’m loving this time-saver!

I actually have the same 2 disc raging bull divx copy, and quite a few other 2 CD and 3 CD DivX movies–and on the old firmware the metadata just copied the title from themoviedb.com so each copy would have just said ‘raging bull’ and you wouldnt have been able to differentiate between which cd … the new firmware allows you to edit the metadata so you can have a seperate XML for each cd (such as : raging bull cd1.avi then raging bull cd1.xml – raging bull cd2.avi raging bull cd2.xml) so you can change the title for each XML and add "cd1 cd2 cd3 cd4 etc etc)

But yyou’re best bet is to use a program called FAST AVI MPEG JOINER

you can drag drop the 2 or 3 files into the program and it literally joins the two or three files in about 1 minute.

Another great program i ran into yesterday is called mkvmerge

I ran into a torrent (Evil Dead II) which came with the video MKV but had no sound within the video file, but it also had 2 seperate sound files, one was AC3 and the other DTS… So i needed to merge the sound into the video file

I was able to do that in literally like 2 minutes using this MKV merge app.

If anyone is interested in these two files and cannot find them by searching google shoot me a PM and i’ll upload them somewhere so u can grab them

I’m getting a “remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden” 

The movie directory path I have is \Hub\WDTVLiveHub\Movies

Am I doing something wrong?

same as mzaur getting "“remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden” 

Question regarding this neat little program:

All of my movies are in the format of moviename year quality audio.extenstion. eg: Top Gun 1986 m720p AC3.mkv To get all of the meta data for these movies do I have to rename them all to moviename year.extenstion? because the movie is not found due to the name.

It there a way of changing the program so this will not be required, or do I have to rename them all?

Cheers

Yes you will have to rename them all to MOVIENAME.EXT

There is no way for a program to search for you’re movie other than by the filename, and no way for it to distinguish between your movie title and the year, audio, quality, etc…

Whether you use WDTVLIVE Hub’s GET INFO feature, or use this app you will have to rename your files.Or you can keep your filenames by using the get info feature and you’ll have to retype in each movie title individually

I’ve found that adding the year to the end of movie titles really helps narrow down the returns given by this tool.  For example, “Iron Man.avi” will not return a result - the tool says there are too many hits.  However if you name the file “Iron Man 2008” the xml and jpg will be downloaded correctly.  If you desire, simply rename all three files after letting the tool do its work.

But yes, it won’t work with the format, bitrate, codec etc in the file name.

AD613 wrote:

I’ve found that adding the year to the end of movie titles really helps narrow down the returns given by this tool.  For example, “Iron Man.avi” will not return a result - the tool says there are too many hits.  However if you name the file “Iron Man 2008” the xml and jpg will be downloaded correctly.  If you desire, simply rename all three files after letting the tool do its work.

But yes, it won’t work with the format, bitrate, codec etc in the file name.

This is true for most but not for all.  Try this for “Centurion” and “Sex in the City”.  However this might be a problem with the movie database rather than the tool.

Has anyone found a way to fo this for TV Shows with multiple seasons and episodes?

My suggestion to Pieter would be an ability to search metadata using tmdb or tvdb ID number, this will eliminate the need for much logic or filename conventions to get the required metadata xml file.

Thanks again for providing an excellent tool!

Best wishes

I know I sound like  broken record, but…

wouldn’t it be infinitely easier to use Media Center Master or YAMM and write a batch script to resolve differences in the “common” metadata that is generated by either of these? 

Media Center Master (Pete) has resolved the issues of fetching the metadata for Movies AND TV shows, and it can be configured as a completely automated tool running in the background of a PC, waiting for newly captured files to appear in a folder.  There are a few differences in semantics in the files that the Hub needs - such as Plot/Overview/Description or Runtime of “192 min” versus “192” - but I would assume that you guys who program could do this relatively easy.

If anyone is interested and needs metadata files from the Hub and MCM for the same title, please let me know and I will happily provide.