The Discovery Utility failed to find our My Book World Edition II on my business network. I wanted the My Book to have a static IP like some of my other servers and network hardware, and needed to know how to discover and configure the device.
Tech Support suggested that I reset the device, but that did not solve my problem.
After much trial, my IT Manager suggested that I change my local Windows XP computer (which I had the discovery utility installed on) from it’s normal Static to Automatic DHCP IP Addressing, and that I also change the PC’s DNS settings from Static to Automatic. After making those 2 changes, the Discovery Utility successfully found the My Book on my network.
Once the My Book was discovered, I was able to configure it into Static instead of DHCP Client mode. After I returned my local PC to its origional static IP and DNS settings, and wait a few minutes for the dust to settle, the Discovery Utility was still able to work properly.
There was nothing that I found in the User Manual or on the Knowledge Base or Community which addressed this issue. I cannot beleive that I am the person in the world who has ever had this issue.