The discovery utility failed to find my device on the network

Hi Nicola,

Can totally recommend the solution posted by NAS-T on 01-08-2010 at 09:33 AM (you’ll need to go back to the first page of this thread and then scroll down). As it happens, the discovery thing works for me, but the utility NAS-T recommends is easier to use.

All the best,

Steve

I tried netscan too, but no result!

however some new combination of light lid up the top and the 3rd/4th static light, still no clue what the heck does that means.

WD took the time and replied to my email, but all i got few link to this forum Hahahaha. No comment.

I’m unable to understand how this company WesternDigital makes this installation so impossible.

sorry but I’m losted 20 or more hours tryng to run the world port II.

after maybe 6 hours I first was able to change the IP in the wd unit, to one into my intranet, but after some copys to the wd unit with a very slooow performace I called the WD support and the agent toll me to push the reset button. After this I’m other time unable (5 hours) to get the unit running,

your Idea about NetScanner doesn,'t works because the IP in the WD unit is not the same as my intranet. Supposse the intranet is 192.168.1.x and the WD unit have other IP range or so.

anyway, a lot of hours, and worries and troubles that are priced more than the unit price. and the few days I try some copies and ftp the performance was terrible.

I’ve read some about UPNP or so named a service being the responsible that you can find the unid by the name (mybookworld), but not sure how to activate it and so on.

(sorry my english)

Hi,

I am currently at work, so I don’t have access to my My Book, but I think that you can set Netscan to search for all devices of which the IP lies within a given range (192.168.1.1 to 192.168.99.99, for example).

Your device will almost certainly have an address in the range 192.168.1.10 to 192.168.1.20. From memory, I think the default address is 192.168.1.13, but I may be wrong.

In any case, if you connect to your router (probably 192.168.1.1) it should be possible to:

a) see what devices are connected to it, and with what addresses

and

b) change the address manually.

Oh, and don’t worry about your English … as your name is Guillermo, I imagine your native language is Spanish, and I can tell you … your English is much better than my Spanish :wink:

Saludos,

Steve

I had a problem of discovery. After some investigations it turned out that my firewall was blocking WD Discovery. Once I added a rule, it fixed the problem and everything works.

Yuval.

I’m at the point of tears. 

I successfully used the drive yesterday to make a backup (after mapping the drive with netscan).  Then the scheduled (Windows) backup failed as it could not find the drive.

since then,  I have tried all suggestions above (thanks to all) - the netscan worked initially, but no longer shows the folders - in fact, netscan no longer even sees the drive. 

I am running Vista 64bit -actually I want to make a current back up so I can try & uprade to Windows 7! :slight_smile:

Forgive me, I’m OK with computers but perhaps not as cluey as some of you guys with network stuff.  I managed to get into my router (which is set as DHCP) & reserve an IP address for the drive.  I sort of understand this.

I’ve turned off my firewall.  I’ve re-booted everything more times than I care to count. 

I cannot believe I paid good money for this worthless piece of *&%^&#@#.  I just want to be able to make a backup without wires?!?!? (but I will make the initial full backup with my computer hardwired into the router, as is the drive - after that, incremental backups (in theory) will be done wirelessly).

Pardon my rant.  I would really appreciate any further tips or advice from anybody.

back again. 

As I was posting my last post, I had just disconnected & reconnected power to the drive for the third time.  Prior to doing this I had noticed that the orange activity light on the ethernet port was not flashing, only the green static light was on.  after I sent the last post, I realised that the activity light was doing it’s thing again, and now my drive has been discovered by not only netscan, but also WD discovery utility.

Can anyone tell me why this might be?  what would cause it to be not “active” on the network???

My network is a home network which is fueled by a Thomson router/ADSL modem as supplied by my ISP.  not sure what other useful info I can provide.  Forgive my non-techno speak, I really am a novice at all this - I assumed that connecting what was promoted as a network drive would be much easier than this.

Thanks for listening.

After I got the WD 4TB my book world, I had got this replaced like 3 times and all because those tech support personals at WD diagonised the drive as bad. In fact there was nothing wrong with the drive as such. I purchased WD from amazon, first my XP boxes were not finding the drive with the WD software so they asked me to send it back. I did do a packet capture (using wireshark) on my windows xp machine and I got the ip of the WD box.I was able to connect via http from the browser (http:// and did the first time setup. Despite explaining this to the tech he still thought that the WD box was bad because the WD discovery was not working. A new one and was seeing the same problem. Send it back, again as per the advice from the tech at WD. This time they mentioned it might be a batch of drives at amazon gone bad so they asked to send the drive directly to them. Got it replaced and again I was seeing the same problem with the WD discovery tool. At this point I was getting ready to return the product because I was almost getting tired of this. Then I started researching online and saw this forum. I owe “NAS-T” a big thanks. Following the instructions I was able to see the drive. Had issues finding the share still. Figured that the antivirus was dropping “microsoft-ds” service. (tcp port 445). Allowed that and voila! I was able to see the drive. I downloaded the backup software and was able to backup up all the files from all my computers.

I am sorry for saying this but I believe the product is good but the tech support is dumb, I had to go through all this for no reason. 

After I got the WD 4TB my book world, I had got this replaced like 3 times and all because those tech support personals at WD diagonised the drive as bad. In fact there was nothing wrong with the drive as such. I purchased WD from amazon, first my XP boxes were not finding the drive with the WD software so they asked me to send it back. I did do a packet capture (using wireshark) on my windows xp machine and I got the ip of the WD box.I was able to connect via http from the browser (http:// and did the first time setup. Despite explaining this to the tech he still thought that the WD box was bad because the WD discovery was not working. A new one and was seeing the same problem. Send it back, again as per the advice from the tech at WD. This time they mentioned it might be a batch of drives at amazon gone bad so they asked to send the drive directly to them. Got it replaced and again I was seeing the same problem with the WD discovery tool. At this point I was getting ready to return the product because I was almost getting tired of this. Then I started researching online and saw this forum. I owe “NAS-T” a big thanks. Following the instructions I was able to see the drive. Had issues finding the share still. Figured that the antivirus was dropping “microsoft-ds” service. (tcp port 445). Allowed that and voila! I was able to see the drive. I downloaded the backup software and was able to backup up all the files from all my computers.I am sorry for saying this but I believe the product is good but the tech support is dumb, I had to go through all this for no reason. 

Oops I am not sure why that got pasted two times. 

Anyways…I see there are lot of ppl in the same boat as I was. I hope someone would find this helpful and not go through all the pain that I did.

Hi all, my problem was: Windows7 Professional, MBWE II cannot see or discover in network places , but it was possible to manage it by windows explorer with http:\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx . After 5 hours i´ve found simply solution for my incident: You must have to allow service NetBios over TCP/IP in Services. just after start this one you can see your drive with shared folders in network places. I dont know why was this service disabled but now its working well.

Thanks for the tip. Will try that when I get home, as Discovery sometimes works and sometimes does not.

My workaround: a little free utility called Netscan ( http://www.softperfect.com/products/networkscanner/) which scans your entire network and lists all the devices it finds, with their IP addresses. You can then right-click the appropriate folder on the WD drive and assign a drive letter to it. If anything, it’s easier to use than the Discovery utility!

Yes you are right. Netscan or similar utilities can show desired device but without NetBios is visible only name and IP adress without chance to mapping drive or see folders. Of course im talking about my case but i think it can be used  in general.

I was having trouble with the drive not being found, but eventually it would show up.  But I did not get any options for what to do such as mapping the drive.  I went to the WD web site and downloaded newer versions of the software.  Buried in the information about the software (BUT NOT IN THE QUICK INSTALL GUIDE) was the comment that you have to register your drive before running the WD Discovery software.  Once I registered the drive, everything worked fine.

So, WD, how about making it clear in the quick install guide that you need to register the drive first.

I was having the same issue on both Windows Vista and Windows 7. I booted the computer into Safe Mode and ran the Discovery utility from the CD and it found the My Book World drive. I then proceeded to install it. Now all of my computers were able to see it.

Ihas the same problem and the solution that worked for me, was to remove the login protection from the device (network settings). Now I can access the attached HDD with no problem. At some point while trying I also disabled the Windows firewall completely, not sure if this is needed too. 

Can someone tell me how to turn on NetBios over TCP/IP as suggested - I can see the drive on Netscanner but no shares.

Thanks

Jason

Hello, here you are:

To enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP on Windows 7:

1. Click  Start , and then click  Network. (click Start, type  ncpa.cpl  into the search box for Windows 7 or Vista, hit ENTER).
  2. Click on the  Network and Sharing Center
  3. Click Manage Network Connections.
  4. Right click on the Local Area Connection select  Properties.
  5. Select Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
  6. Click the  Advanced  button under the General tab.
  7. Click the  WINS  tab.
  8. Click  Enable NetBIOS Over TCP/IP.
  9. Click OK and Exit the settings.

Thanks for the response. 

I enabled netbios over TCP but still can only see the device and not the shares.  I’m doing this remotely on a PPTP VPN, so I suspect that one of the firewalls is blocking something.  Does anyone know what ports need to be open in order to make this work and I can then check the firewall settings?

I can ping the IP address, but it won’t open in Explorer.

Thanks,

Jason