Support os x el capitan

Why is your community so hard to join? I just spent half an hour trying to sign up just so that I could reply to this thread then once I thought I was registered another screen popped up within the forum making it seem I had to sign up to something else altogether but I digress. I updated to El Capitan on the 30th with the main release and immediately encountered this problem, made me reset my device thinking it was that. In finder I can only connect as a guest. Having a password or no password doesn’t make a difference as it immediately disconnects once it does connect. No issues in Yosemite and no issues with El Capitan on the final public demo released before the main release. Hope you guys or Apple are working on a plan to fix this as soon as possible because I kinda rely on my cloud for my work.

1 Like

Hi there,

There may be an intermittent discovery issue of network devices when connecting through Finder’s sidebar on Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan). Please follow below steps in order to have access to your Wd MyCloud device untill further notice :

1. Select Finder

2. In the menu bar, select “Go”, and then “Connect to Server…” (alternatively, one can press Command-K)

3. In the Server Address box, type afp:// followed by the name of your device that’s listed in the sidebar. For example:

afp://wdmycloud

1. Choose Guest, or Registered User to login to a private share

2. Click Connect

3. Choose the share name you wish to mount

Need Help? Please click below for further assistance or contact us at 1(855) 556-5117
https://wdsupport.wdc.com/sfdc/case.aspx

2 Likes

Same problem, just installed El Capitan on Mac Mini and can’t access MyCloud.

enigma_cipher wrote:

Agreed on the question.  Since installing El Capitan, Both of my Macs show My Cloud drive in Shared devices in the sidebar, but when trying to access via “connect as”:

“There was a problem connecting to the server…      The server may not exist or it is unavailable at this time. Check the server name or IP address, check your network connection, and then try again.”

The only way I can access it now is by going directly through WD Software, or by using Finder > Command+K, but this does not permanently (or semi-permanently) mount the drive.  This process must be repeated every time I want to access the drive (what a pain.) 

From my experience this is only a temporary “fix” and it doesn’t stay connected. It also doesn’t help if I’m trying to access my content through the likes of Lightroom.

1 Like

Indeed. I’m working with Apple and with WD to find a better solution to this. I’ll keep the forum updated.

1 Like

Same issue I upgraded to El Capitan, now find I cannot access, files I need on my WDMyCloud.

Please help…

This does not work consistently either.

Time Machine issues too after the ‘upgrade’

Time Machine completed a verification of your backups on “WDMyCloud”. To improve reliability, Time Machine must create a new backup for you.

This keeps coming up. Never had an issue with Yosemite.

I’m getting issues as well. Can’t access the NAS at all. Can’t sign in as a registered user.

Not sure if it’s due to the firmware update of the My Cloud though, as that was updated on 30th September.

OS X 10.11

My Cloud v04.04.00-308

Regards, Ben.

I have two NAS servers attached to my 27" 2010 iMac. A WDmyCloud and a Netgear Stora, both of which have not been a problem until ElCapitan. Now I can’t even see them. They’ve both just GONE!

Question for everyone…

So trying to not be convoluted. 

is it an WD OS3 Cloud problem? or El Capitan?

how to tell?

is anyone still on a previous WD Cloud firmware and have upgraded to OSX El Capitan?

• has problems, then it is definitely OSX El Capitan problem === talk to Apple
  • no problems, then it is not an El Capitan problem

If you upgraded to the latest OS3 Cloud and did not upgrade to OSX El Capitan

• has problem, then definitely an OS3 Cloud problem
  • no problem, then go talk to Apple about an El Capitan problem

I am still on FW 3.04 and have not upgraded to El Capitan for fear that it would break my cloud access… Anyone that has had success with this combination?

Thanks

It’s a problem with El Capitan. This reeks of something in the new OSX code designed to increase security. WD cloud works fine in newest version of IOS and in the previous version of OSX from what I can tell. Logic would then dictate that El Capitan is the problem. Like I said. I’m working with WD and Apple to research and hopefully get a resolutions to the problem.

B

2 Likes

Oh and firmware is completely updated on my WD and the WD Cloud is still working on my non-updated iMac.

2 Likes

enigma_cipher wrote:
WD Cloud is still working on my non-updated iMac.

excellent finger pointing

now although it seems definite that it is el capitan, we need to know if the following might work?

WD FW version between >3.04 and <4.03 works with el capitan?

It could be el capitan that doesn’t work with the latest OS3…

I’d largely agree with that diagnostic tree.

The only complication is the usual problem of IP addresses changing, which can cause trouble. So I’d recommend checking IP addresses if you’ve upgrade either MyCloud, Mac, or both.

1 Like

cpt_paranoia wrote:

I’d largely agree with that diagnostic tree.

The only complication is the usual problem of IP addresses changing, which can cause trouble. So I’d recommend checking IP addresses if you’ve upgrade either MyCloud, Mac, or both.

very good point…

A few months ago, I posted up a possible solution of why I think people are losing their IP’s (Call me maybe? - WD Connectivity Issues) and nobody bothered to verify the solution and even the one that I tried to help, argued extensively; I really don’t know about the young people these days (they think they know everything). If I sound like I know everything, my apologises as I am really really old and know nothing, so with that point taken…

The gist of losing IP’s is that you either

1. reserve the IP on the router and set your Cloud to DHCP

OR

1. set your cloud to a static IP (but outside the range of the router’s DHCP i.e. range assignment 10-100) then set cloud 192.168.0.199

DO NOT do both 1 and 2. 

Thus with ungrading firmware on either Mac or Cloud, IPs tend to go weird. Also remember to use GO, Connect to Server, then use the fixed static IP address such as AFP://192.168.0.15 or SMB://192.168.0.15 to connect.

The domain name server which is inside the cloud (see I’m kinda guessing how the names are resolved here), will allow you to connect to smb://WDMyCloud/Cloudy but if the names are not resolved, then you might have a connectivity problem here.

So lastly… we got interrupted by some kind of post about google within a post about el capitan support, lets get back to my last question…

enigma_cipher wrote:
WD Cloud is still working on my non-updated iMac.

excellent finger pointing

now although it seems definite that it is el capitan, we need to know if the following might work?

WD FW version between >3.04 and <4.03 works with el capitan?

It could be el capitan that doesn’t work with the latest OS3…

It’s not just WD My Clouds that el Capitan has broken, it’s everything SMB.   It is not able to connect to Windows 10, My Cloud, or Brother network printers’ SMB interface.   It can only connect to other Apple products - as far as I have been able to determine.

The IP’s on those devices have not changed, not that it would matter since they are located by the SMB browser daemon in the first place. 

The My Cloud on my network is on the same reserved IP as always, but eC can’t access it.  A Windows 10 VM running in Parallels on the same box can access it and all the other SMB shares on the network using their normal fixed IP’s.

I just did a clean build of Yoesmite on my wife’s iMac.  I was able to connect to the My Cloud to download the eC installer, but once it was finished “upgrading” I could no longer connect to it, or to anything else SMB.

This probably has more to do with Apple than WD.

I found this download on WD support page.  Lets me mount Mycloud and use my cloud finder window.  Seems to work fine.

Dragged my Cloud hard drive icon into login items in system preferances for my user and now mounts automatically.

http://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?lang=en&fid=wdsfMyCloud

click on

-Software for Mac

-Download and install WD Access for Mac

Although only supports up to 10.10 works fine in 10.11

iMac 27",  i3,  2010 model, 16g ram, 480 SSD (after market)

Hello All,

Hope the following KBA helps

Error: ‘Connection Failed’ occurs when selecting a My Cloud device through Finder’s Shared sidebar

SBrown wrote:

Hello All,

Hope the following KBA helps

Error: ‘Connection Failed’ occurs when selecting a My Cloud device through Finder’s Shared sidebar

Interesting… so that is the solution then? Also I had not realize that SBrown was staff…

edit: ok, I suddenly realize what the solution entails. It is mounting the Cloud using AFP instead of SMB. So the problem that everyone has been reporting is true… it is the SMB that el capitan is having problems with.

ok… good to know…

Thanks again SBrown and WD for being involved.

I will now backpedal… to hear how everyone is doing with this solution.