SSH changes vs future firmware update

All at once, indeed, my proper nature, alas.

I thought that installing the same (last version) firmware will allow me to make a new, clean start to set up the drive using your ssh commands.

In this case I will not. Especially that I had got a message that the drive ‘has not enough space to perform upgrade’.

As far as I can see I shall insert each command followed by enter. ONCE!

Then I shall attach an USB drive and… wait far from my equipement.

Is that right?

1 Like

GThib wrote:

All at once, indeed, my proper nature, alas.

I thought that installing the same (last version) firmware will allow me to make a new, clean start to set up the drive using your ssh commands.

In this case I will not. Especially that I had got a message that the drive ‘has not enough space to perform upgrade’.

As far as I can see I shall insert each command followed by enter. ONCE!

Then I shall attach an USB drive and… wait far from my equipement.

Is that right?

totally incorrect, but how did you fare? did it work anyways?

You can always try to downgrade your firmware but if you are having troubles understanding my instructions then I’m afraid you might just totally mess up your drive and void your warranty, if you haven’t already.

Here is the thing, perhaps explaining why we are doing these instructions might help you out a bit.

This is what I discovered.

1. DO NOT BOOT UP with the USB plugged in together.

Wait for your Cloud to boot up and settle down for about 5 minutes or so…

1. I would suggest that you SSH into it and stop these two jobs from running. DO NOT REBOOT

/etc/init.d/wdphotodbmergerd stop
/etc/init.d/wdmcserverd stop

1. Once the wait of 5 minutes is over, then plug in your USB drive and wait… it should show up on your UI panel and then you can map it to a share.

NOW… here is a second set of instructions

If you booted up your Cloud with the USB attached:

1. ssh into the cloud immediately and do the following once:

killall wddispatcher
killall wdnotifier

The killall wddispatcher and wdnotifier is the programs that locks your cloud device along with the USB. So killing these two jobs allows your Cloud to operate normally.

1. Now restart the two programs by typing in once…

/etc/init.d/wdnotifierd stop
/etc/init.d/wddispatcherd stop
/etc/init.d/wdnotifierd start
/etc/init.d/wddispatcherd start

1. Wait for the UI to show the USB attached. DO NOT REBOOT, DO NOT PASS GO, DO NOT FIDGET!! just wait

2. If none of these two sets of instructions work and the USB drops off the network, then you have another set of problems all together and the main one that comes to mind is static IP. Search the forums for static IP.

optionally

return the drives and get your money back

1 Like

I do appreciate your hammer-way explication.

You should have begun and finished that way.:smileyvery-happy:

A followed the first option (USB drive detached while rebooting) and with nagging, constant anxiety I heva been observing the comportment of WD My Cloud being stil responsive via Web UI suffering attached USB drive.

Tension is mounting as the time pass by…

It is hard and to early to belive that it seems to work.

Here is a picture of your accomplishment. Hope i will last at least til tommorow morning.

I thank you very much. Mille grazie! (have noticed a sponteneous Italian word in your text)

PS

If something goes wrong I will drop you a line here.

I have always had a static IP address set up with WD My Cloud in question.

1 Like

GThib wrote:

I do appreciate your hammer-way explication.

You should have begun and finished that way.:smileyvery-happy:

PS

If something goes wrong I will drop you a line here.

I have always have a static IP address set up with WD My Cloud in question.

yes I should have :stuck_out_tongue: on begining and finishing on my hammer-way explanation :stuck_out_tongue:

but do let me know if it holds til morning. It should. if not, I have no other answers unless you rebooted :-P 

1 Like

Hullo,

So far so good. Touch plastic.

WD My Cloud keeps staying connected being accessible via Web UI and local network.

What I find a bit strange (nothing concerning WD product  is able to astonish me) the drive (and other one) is not listed in drives on wd2go.com site. However I have got an access to the drive from ipad My Cloud (here the name of the drive is not respected - instead of the name I had given there is a default one - WDMyCloud - no idea where can I change it).

Well, what is important the access to the drive is maintained (hope for quite long lime).

Thank you today as well. Wishing you last birthday wishes come true (well, at least four off them).

Q.:

In case I reboot the drive (no USB attached) it will be necessary to repeat insetring the following ssh commands again (and every time reboot occures), won’t it?

Q.:

Should you suggest me to make the same attempt for My Cloud Mirror I have?

1 Like

always follow hammer-way explanation when rebooting :stuck_out_tongue:

Also remember to remove USB (detach using UI before removing) before updating firmware or rebooting.

They took away the ability to permantly do the changes with firmware 4.xx but that is ok as long as you can SSH into the device before too much harm is done.

I’m glad to receive many birthday wishes but you can click on my star beside my name so I get kudos that everyone can see that I’m the top helper here :stuck_out_tongue: If you talk to WD, tell them to pay that Ralphael guy on the forum :stuck_out_tongue:

p.s. sure give the mirror drive a try if it has the same problems.

1 Like

Ralphael wrote:

always follow hammer-way explanation when rebooting :stuck_out_tongue:

Also remember to remove USB (detach using UI before removing) before updating firmware or rebooting.

They took away the ability to permantly do the changes with firmware 4.xx but that is ok as long as you can SSH into the device before too much harm is done.

I’m glad to receive many birthday wishes but you can click on my star beside my name so I get kudos that everyone can see that I’m the top helper here :stuck_out_tongue: If you talk to WD, tell them to pay that Ralphael guy on the forum :stuck_out_tongue:

p.s. sure give the mirror drive a try if it has the same problems.

• *Thanks. Certainly I will.

I will follow à la lettre your clear instruction (you have to admit I have a tiny contribution here as far as your explanation clarity is concerned - one kudo, please)

If you can drop a few more messages here I will kudos them all.

Best regards and à dieu (hope I will never again see you on my screen in such unforeseen-Cloud circomstances) - one never knows - touch WDCloud-plastic again.

PS

I have been always wondering why on earth WD do not change the firmware to allow users to chose an indexing option or make some basic/nondestructive changes to the root setting via some dashboard manipulations.

One thing is certain - I wil never (say never) buy any of their products again.

1 Like

About USB and boot problems - Kernel connect USB device as /dev/sda (Internal HDD - /dev/sdb), so cant find boot scripts, kernel and system and cant boot. (Because bootloader search system on sda)

1 Like

Remote access lost. No Dashbord connection.

Drive available ONLY locally. USB drive is connected, present as a share.

I give it up.

(a stream of curses here…)

PS 1

According to my modest (painful) experience all ‘My’ Cloud disks **bleep**.

There is no possibility to make them work with a previously filled USB external drives connected.

If you do not beleve, give a try.

Or perhaps do not, to avoid a loss of your happy-user state of mind and a serious frustration, etc, etc, … (a new stream of curses with some legitimate repetitions).

PS 2

Update:

WD My Cloud 4TB in question - no LOCAL access any more as well.

Conclusion - no disk, no money, no data available, no WD Tech solution.

Kernel connect USB device as /dev/sda (Internal HDD - /dev/sdb), so cant find boot scripts, kernel and system and cant boot. (Because bootloader search system on sda)

Wow. If that’s true, it’s such a rookie error. Okay, sometimes it’s nice to get a system to boot from a different disk (e.g. a PC with a bad virus infection), but it doesn’t seem appropriate for the MyCloud, which is likely to have a permanently-attached USB drive.

1 Like

I think answer is easy: Usb driver included in kernel, so loaded first (And attach USB drive as sda), then - loaded scsi/sata driver and attach internal HDD to sdb…

Fix: Remove USB driver from kernel and load it from .ko module (Need build kernel from sources)

1 Like

GThib wrote:

Remote access lost. No Dashbord connection.

Drive available ONLY locally. USB drive is connected, present as a share.

I give it up.

PS 2

Update:

WD My Cloud 4TB in question - no LOCAL access any more as well.

Conclusion - no disk, no money, no data available, no WD Tech solution.

don’t forget no love!!

A sitting WD Cloud might go offline if you accidentally hit the upgrade firmware on the remote app. Although I am sure that I never hit that button on the remote app itself, it might still reboot the device.

Now the other thing that might go wrong is the router and the cable, so check those again…

lastly, remember that this is a small linux box, meaning you cannot just pull the plug on it over and over and over again; if you do, you eventually end up with a red light WD box meaning that somehow it doesn’t complete its checkdisk and mount the drives.

If you cannot access the UI, three things… 1. your static ip is no longer static 2. you are not in the same ip zone as your cloud. 3. your cloud is dead :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyways you know what to do if you give up… open window and put cloud outside if you live in hi-rise building.

p.s. no more kudos, they are heavy to carry around… and plus if I get too many the moderators may get suspicious that I am giving myself kudos under an alias user name. so no more.

1 Like

Fox_exe wrote:

About USB and boot problems - Kernel connect USB device as /dev/sda (Internal HDD - /dev/sdb), so cant find boot scripts, kernel and system and cant boot. (Because bootloader search system on sda)

You may be correct in your assumptions or they may be related.

About a year ago what I did discover at that time is that if you SSH just right after it boots with USB attached, and you issue the two commands…

killall wddispatcher
killall wdnotifier

The cloud will quiet down (not sure if both jobs needs to be killed). The reason that I chose those two jobs were that CPU usage were at 100%.

Then I restarted those two jobs and the attached USB drive functioned perfectly without requiring a reboot.

For awhile, I also left those two jobs stopped of which the attached USB functioned normally also.

it could be a locking of the USB drive at boot up with a mounting script internally but so far WD has not fix this problem despite taking the log files from me back in January 2014.

don’t forget no love!!

Indeed, no love at all! :heart:

A sitting WD Cloud might go offline if you accidentally hit the upgrade firmware on the remote app. Although I am sure that I never hit that button on the remote app itself, it might still reboot the device.

No such case here.

Now the other thing that might go wrong is the router and the cable, so check those again…

Other disks are available locally on the same router. ONLY one ‘My’ Cloud Mirror keeps its normal behaviour/state - the very one with nothing attached to it.

lastly, remember that this is a small linux box, meaning you cannot just pull the plug on it over and over and over again; if you do, you eventually end up with a red light WD box meaning that somehow it doesn’t complete its checkdisk and mount the drives.

Fabulous, how on bloody earth one can reboot that piece of *by myself - BLEEP* with no access to it?!

In such way the disk in inevitably condamned to slow, painful death.

If you cannot access the UI, three things… 1. your static ip is no longer static 2. you are not in the same ip zone as your cloud. 3. your cloud is dead :stuck_out_tongue:

Not a case here.

The same problem occures with all’My’ Cloud drives (Mirror as well)* I have (had) got. Three My Cloud 4TB has been replaced with My Cloud Mirror 6TB - same situation/*bleep* - *disks become disconnected/unavailable via remote access (often local one) while attaching a filled-up external USB drive.

Anyways you know what to do if you give up… open window and put cloud outside if you live in hi-rise building.

Alas, I live on the ground floor. Even that option does not work.

p.s. no more kudos, they are heavy to carry around… and plus if I get too many the moderators may get suspicious that I am giving myself kudos under an alias user name. so no more.

OK. But I can always testify, and I herewith do, that kudos derive from my proper clicks.

PS

Would you be interested in bying some of WD ‘My’ Cloud piece of (still covered by warranty) hardware?

Here is a post from Billy_Kidd in http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/before-you-pack-up-your-WD-and-return-it-let-s-talk-about/td-p/683307/page/9 thread:

03-24-2015 08:18 PM

I am really trying to stay from WD products,

I’ve had some issues with warranty returns on raw hdds, and now this thing.  Although I’m not buying any WD or WD-owned company products, I will say that as since I stopped plugging anything into the USB port, the device has been stable,

It took me a long time to figure out that it was a USB problem.

I recently picked up 3 pogoplugs and they are a much more civilized solution.  

GThib wrote:

The same problem occures with all’My’ Cloud drives (Mirror as well)* I have (had) got. Three My Cloud 4TB has been replaced with My Cloud Mirror 6TB - same situation/*bleep* - *disks become disconnected/unavailable via remote access (often local one) while attaching a filled-up external USB drive.

Would you be interested in bying some of WD ‘My’ Cloud piece of (still covered by warranty) hardware?

You know that if all three cloud devices don’t work that your common theme is the router? Perhaps try buying a new router, just for testing purposes to see if there might be a difference.

Also make sure your static IP is outside the assignable range meaning your DHCP can assign lets say from 10 to 200 and your static ip is set to 210.

Also, lastly, check for your dates on both your router and your cloud. Different dates, times could cause ip’s to expire or something to expire.

If you get one bad apple that is understandable, if you get three then WD is either really failing at their software (which is totally possible) or something else is wrong. 

Thank you Raphael for your patience and efford to help me finding solution of a (unresolved) problem.

But I think all is in vain. This is the waste of time.

An everyman user is not supposed to perform any underhandedness (SSH, etc,) setting changes/adjustments to get WD products to work in the quite normal way. Especially if the sens of using  them is to assure perfect security and an ease of acces from everywhere - My *bleep by myself* cloud! Not to mention a local network stability.

I am afraid, but I think the same effect would be achieved by moving from my house trying to resolve the problem.

The problem consists (and not only in my case - see a lot of similar cases on this forum) in connecting filled-up USB external drives to the main ‘My’ Cloud one.

With no such connection all seem to work well and keep a certain stability. I have well tested it.

The problem is elswere.

Thank you once more. I do appreciate you selfless (well, some kudos…) help.

I really give up. The last attempt will be contacting WD Tech Support and ask for refund or… who knows.

1 Like

cpt_paranoia wrote:

Kernel connect USB device as /dev/sda (Internal HDD - /dev/sdb), so cant find boot scripts, kernel and system and cant boot. (Because bootloader search system on sda)

Wow. If that’s true, it’s such a rookie error. Okay, sometimes it’s nice to get a system to boot from a different disk (e.g. a PC with a bad virus infection), but it doesn’t seem appropriate for the MyCloud, which is likely to have a permanently-attached USB drive.

This is very very interesting.

Does this mean that a suitably prepared / engineered USB stick could be used to boot the WDC?

For recovery purposes, or to contain the OS permanently, thus leaving the internal HD alone for once?

Just my 2c.

asxetos wrote:> Does this mean that a suitably prepared / engineered USB stick could be used to boot the WDC?

For recovery purposes, or to contain the OS permanently, thus leaving the internal HD alone for once?

No… Barebox (Bootloader) dont support usb. Also Barebox is Alpha version - no support for filesystems and HDD (WD add part-initialization of HDD and direct byte load from partitions)

Ok, thanks for clarifying.

Maybe we could somehow exploit this feature / mistake of the current kernel.

I am thinking we could install a mirror image of what the kernel tries to load from dev/sda to a USB stick or USB HDD, thus creating a system which is more immune to filesystem damage from accidental power-offs for one,

maybe even solve the sleep issue, as the OS will write to the external USB stick and not wake up the internal HDD for nothing.

All what we need - initrd (Initial ram disk / ramfs).

Bootloader load kernel (with integrated ramfs) form HDD. That kernel check if system clear, check Reset button (If pressed - restore system from backup or turnon SSH / telnet access for maintenance)

Also i make minimal OS for maintenance - read my thread about “Clean Debian” (One of unbrick options).

WD could make “An ideal product”, but for some reason didn’t make it (Regretted means? There were no skilled experts?)

WD могли сделать “Идеальный продукт”, но по каким-то причинам не сделали это (Пожалели средств? Не хватило опытных специалистов?)… Долбанный маркетинг…