SSH access after end of service in April

Hi,

after WD ends the support and service for the MyCloud OS3 in April 2022, will I still be able to access the MyCloud device via SSH?

SSH is a local service on the My Cloud so it should still be available for local network access unless WD does something stupid with their supposed last OS3 firmware update that will shut down remote access…

so, it is always helpful to save the old firmware files. Or it is not possible to make firmware downgrade after upgrade? I think I remember having read that it is possible, just install the old firmware version over the newer one, am I right?

PS:
can you help me with the firmware versions please. On News & Announcements - WD Community I can not download the last version for 2. Gen. device 2.42.115. Then on 6th Jan there is a version 2.12.144 - is that a mistake in the version number??? Can also not be downloaded.
Only 2.41.121 can be downloaded from all listed. What is wrong?

I found this https://support-en.wd.com/app/products/product-detailweb/p/126 but the files there are tar.gz format and are very big about 1GB. Are they the same instellers?

You are over thinking this.

Just never update firmware again :wink:

well, never change a winning team=system. This is my motto too, but my actuell firmware is 1-2 years old. So before the update support ends, installing a newer firmware wont be bad I think. But which version and if downgrade (if somethings su*ks) is possible, are my questions/thoughts?

Can you downgrade the firmware on v4.x and v2.x single bay My Cloud units? Yes. However, the problem lies with obtaining the older firmware. WD has blocked access to downloading earlier versions of their firmware (for what ever reason). See the following thread for more information on firmware versions and how to downgrade.

WD My Cloud v3.x, v4.x and v2.x Firmware Versions Download Links
https://community.wd.com/t/wd-my-cloud-v3-x-v4-x-and-v2-x-firmware-versions-download-links/148533

There are other discussions on how to downgrade that one can find using the forum search feature (magnifying glass icon top right).

Just be aware that downgrading firmware carries risks. When downgrading one is reintroducing potential security vulnerabilities that were patched by later firmware. And one may be reintroducing other problems that were fixed by the later firmware.

only the last 2-3 firmware versions are downloadable from the link above.
Interessting ist that version 2.12.144 from 4.1.2022 is not appearing anywhere and has strange version number. Do you know why?

This subforum generally discusses the single bay My Cloud. The above link to the older firmware specifically states: “A listing of firmware versions for the single bay/single drive My Cloud and their WD download link if available.” Other My Cloud models may use the 2.12.144 firmware, but the second generation single bay does not.