SSD prevents BIOS from starting

I have had the same issue. In my case, my mb do not recognize my SSD WD Black 1TB, but I coluld see it in the bios boot menu order, very extrange. In Windows 10 explorer I could not see it, but in the storage administrator I could see it. In WD suport I read to initialaise the unit, specially if it is a second SDD in the MB, as my case. I initialize it and Windows 10 recognice and fix it. My MB is ASUS PRIME Z370 PII. The bios still dont recognize hte SSD but it run perfectly.

Oh, my bad…

My solution: after upgrading 3 PC all having the same issue. I wanted to reinstall windows on a m.2 although finding this setting in your MB may vary I recommend finding or looking up where in you specific bios CSM is available. I had to update the “default msi b450 bios that came with it the update itself did not fix it but it did allow me to find the CSM option and enable it. From my understanding it allows he Pc to read the drivers in the m.2 drive allowing it to be recognized by your motherboard and in turn windows setup

SOLUTION: enable CSM

MSI also. I had an issue with a WD SN750 on an MSI GE75 10SE-008 with Windows 10 Pro where after putting the computer in sleep mode it wouldn’t boot, wouldn’t recognize the drive in the operating system or BIOS. The laptop had the latest BIOS firmware, so nothing I could do there. I ended up returning the PC due to other issues. Now I am left with an SSD that I can’t verify if it runs or not. I’ll buy an external adapter to see if it’s still alive.

hey im here just to say that bios update 315 solved the problem of booting, mine is working just fine :relieved:

I had a similar issue with my Asus X570-P motherboard. WD Blue SN550 did not work until I updated the BIOS to the latest version. After the BIOS update the motherboard detected the drive.

You may well be waiting a month or more for a product they ensured you was on the way, when in reality they were waiting for stock to come in. It’s how they get more 250 dollar purchases, claim it’s in stock and hope you don’t clog their talking in circles customer service center. With online business anyways, and with changing the controllers in their ssds after the review models, all without telling anyone, they are unscrupulous and ruining their reputation of late.

Hello everyone, did anyone here manage to find the solution to this problem? I bought a 240GB m.2 WD SSD, I tried to install it on my laptop, an Asus X571 that has the slot on the motherboard, but no luck, it doesn’t go past the logo screen nor allows me to access other places like the BIOS or boot from other devices, from the same HDD or from an image recorded on a USB stick.

I really tried everything, changing options in the BIOS, trying to boot from other devices, tinkering with the battery, but nothing, I was told that it could even be because the screw, which by the way is not included, might not be doing contact, but I don’t think it’s that and just when the m.2 is on it won’t start the system.

I’ve seen upgrades to the same laptop with an SSD of the same brand but with a higher capacity, and I still don’t understand why there is this hardware incompatibility, it seems ridiculous when there are so many options.

If anyone has a solution after such a long time, I would be very grateful.

Here are some solutions you can try. You don’t have to try them all; just work your way down the list until everything’s working again.

1. Troubleshoot hardware faulty
  2. Configure the SSD settings in BIOS
  3. Update available drivers.

Troubleshoot hardware faulty

The hardware faulty can prevent your SSD from being detected by BIOS. So you should check your SSD hardware and the corresponding ports, and make sure they are working properly.

In addition, you can switch to another SSD port and see if it can be detected by BIOS.

If the hardware works great and you’re having the problem, don’t worry. Move on to the next solution.

Configure the SSD settings in BIOS

It’s likely that SATA controller mode is not set correctly and that’s why your SSD is not recognized by BIOS. So you can configure the SATA controller settings in BIOS.

Since the steps to configure BIOS are different due to the brands, so here we take Lenovo laptops as an example.

1. Restart your computer, and press the F2 key after the first screen.
  2. Press the Enter key to enter Config .
  3. Select Serial ATA and press Enter .
  4. Then you’ll see SATA Controller Mode Option . Choose the IDE Compatibility Mode .
  5. Save your changes and restart your computer to enter BIOS.

Now BIOS should be able to detect your SSD.