SSD prevents BIOS from starting

The only solution I can suggest is use the CRUCIAL P1 1TB NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD.

Can you return your SN550 and exchange it?

All the best, Dave.

So, finally my third replacement drive arrived, and guess what: It still won’t work. I had brought my laptop to the service center, and they asked me to leave it for further investigation.

Still no refund option given though :pensive:

That’s bad news, why are they wasting their time and yours?

It would be better for them just to fit a different make/model drive.

Good luck, Dave.

I don’t know really. Maybe it is just for formality, to check if the NVMe slot are good / no error etc. I had showed them this thread. Hopefully they will give me good news tomorrow, so then I can contact the distributor for a refund. This notebook and SSD are from 1 distributor.

They told me to buy a different brand (Lexar), but there is no warranty that the new SSD will work. Also I don’t want to pay more :expressionless:

Hope you have good news.

What country are you in?

Are you a gamer? I’ve been playing COD Warzone on my FX505, it’s great. :sunglasses:

Hope so.

I’m from Indonesia. Well, I’m not really a gamer. I bought this FX505 just to play Ace Combat 7 (the graphics are really good) since I’m a fan of this type of games. Last time I played the Ace Combat 3 in PS, years ago :sweat_smile:

I tried other games, Tomb Raider (I forget the title) pack when there was discount sale, but I was feeling dizzy playing those. Also CS:GO. I almost puke :sweat_smile:

Tried PS2 Emulator, the Ace Combat Series run really well. Hopefully there will be Ace Combat 8 later :grimacing:

So it is not me doing something wrong. I have the same problem installing this SSD on a Gigabyte B450 AORUS M Gaming MB. Booting stops at logo/bios screen and then my systems stops. No logging into the BIOS either. Total silence. Until I remove the SSD. Then everything works without problems. Update my BIOS to the latest. Reinstalled SSD several time. No luck. I think WD should react to this problem. I thought my SSD was DOA but when I see al the reactions here there must be another problem with this drive.

Yes, it looks like there’s something strange with the WD SN550.

Try a different make/model SSD and see what happens.

I had the same problem as you describe, but as soon as I fitted my CRUCIAL P1 1TB NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD it worked perfectly. It was a bit cheaper too!

I’ve been running it intensly for about a month now and all is good. :sunglasses:

I searched several forums, most cases are either Asus mainboard or laptop combined with this SN550 will produce this problem :expressionless:

Well, seems Asus is not the only brand with this probleem #gigabyte

Verzonden vanaf Samsung-tablet.

-------- Oorspronkelijk bericht --------

Hi yoseph2001

What happened? Did you get your laptop back? Can you give us an update?

Thanks, Dave.

Oh, hi again Davehuge

So I brought my laptop to the service center, they checked it using Intel 660p, my NVMe slot works. Then they checked my SN550 using ROG laptop (didn’t ask what model) and it was detected - means the SN550 drive is good. So they just told me to buy another SSD brand because it was not compatible :expressionless:.

Well, I think that was not a solution. Firstly, we do not know if the other brand SSD we buy will work, because there is no guarantee. And I think, just like SATA, NVMe is a standard interface now. Which means any brand one buy should work if the specification matches. Secondly, they are the official service center, and they took this matter lightly, like it is easy to sell this WD and buy another brand. Well, If one who buy this WD - assuming that I will sell it - encounter the same issue as we all do here, what should I do?

These problems have made me conclude two questions:

1. Are ASUS notebooks not compatible with all NVMe drives on the market? I think WD brand is well known enough. I mean if I buy a very cheap oem NVMe and it does not work, well maybe the quality is poor. But WD?
  2. Are SN550 are not compatible with all computers eventhough the specification matches? Since it works on ROG and not on our TUF505

The distributor said they can’t replace my drive to another brand, because there isn’t any policy about that.

So right now I stuck with this problem. The distributor said they will contact WD and Asus, whatever. I just feel so tired of these things. It has been 2 months maybe since I purchased this drive.

I won’t buy any Asus or WD in the future for sure.

EDIT: As June 10, 2020, my refund process finally finished. Thank you very much Astrindo Indonesia for the understanding.

Does the SSD create the same problem in another computer? Test your old SSD in your machine first to make sure the ssd didnt break anything (very unlikely but better to be sure). If it does, maybe the new SSD takes way more power for some reason and your Power Supply cant keep up? Thats the only thing i could think of rn, because I usually work on Desktop pcs and not laptops.

Oh yeah

EDIT:
Deleted the screenshot. It is prohibited. But it is the Pyrite issue implementation on every system that were affected.

And no response from ASUS as usual. But at least we have an answer for this issue. Maybe it SN550 is the best cheapest drive out there, but with this incompatibility… I’m done with it.

I experienced exactly the same problem on an Asus N752VX with a SN550 1TB.
The SSD did most of the time (but not always) a cold boot, but never reboot from Windows. The Boot Manager items in BIOS sometimes varied and were sometimes gone.
Tried a lot, also in a Lenovo M900 Tiny, but no succes. I sent it back to WD-Store.

I think it needs a firmware update, which is not available.

It could be that your cables are bad. You said switching them around helped to a degree. Before you go and spend big money on a new drive, spend less on a new pair of SATA III (make sure they’re III/3) cables.
Does your motherboard support hot plugging? It’s often supported, but disabled by default in BIOS. If you can, set it to be enabled and boot with the power in the SSD, but not the SATA cable. Once boot is completed, plug the drive in and report the results. If it’s detected at all, you can run repairs and recoveries on it.

yuanyasmine Sorry, but this SN550 drive is a PCI-E/NVME drive, which has nothing to do with cables. Your answer is not suitabe for this drive.

i have same problem,
my SSD new bought from store, sealed but protected…
i have already using hdd adapter to usb but still cant detected or formatted

Responding to complaints from Yoseph2001, due to the compatibility issue between the notebook FX505DT-R5586T with SSD.SN550

We have solved this problem with the parties concerned