Something wrong with CNID DB in OS X 10.7.1

I am having this problem too. I don’t want to do a factory restore as we have over 2TB of stuff on the drive and now can’t remove it or put anything on it. 

I really don’t understand all the computer mumbo jumbo, so I guess I’m kinda screwed. 

What I really want is a way to get our files off here and take this back to the store. We have only had it less than 2 months. 

Any sugguestions, after the firmware update???

on

ssh root@mybooklive.local "/etc/init.d/netatalk stop ; rm -v /shares/*/.AppleDB/{*.db;db_*} ; /etc/init.d/netatalk start"

is not working on 10.6.8 - same CNID error as before and time machine ‘complains’ about access rights

However, looks like it solved the issue with regular shares becoming read-only after an CNID error (for my system). Now, regular shares are and remain writable even though Time Machine still causes CNID errors…  (Don’t forget to restart the MBL.) 

Thx for all your posting …

Fixed my problem after finding this at  http://copiancestral.wordpress.com/2012/03/04/time-machine-cant-access-the-backup-disk-osstatus-error-2/ 

Time Machine can’t access the backup disk – OSStatus error 2

Posted on  March 4, 2012

Rate This

It seems like an eternity since the last time I was able to correctly perform a time machine backup on my Western Digital MyBook World Edition (MBWE). On top of that, last year a bought a new mac mini with OS X Lion and my MBWE didn’t support it. So after upgrading to what seemed the buggiest firmware ever, the guys at WD released another firmware (to be precise Firmware Version 01.02.1) and in the release notes it stated: Resolved issue with Apple® Time Machine® incompatibility in Mac OS® X Lion™ update.

The incompatibility was resolved but the Time Machine issue is stil here. So after digging up the web, Apple support forums, WD support community, etc. I finally found something that solved my problem. Actually my problem was that Time Machine was unable to connect to the backup disk with an error message containing “OSStatus Error 2″. So what I had to do was to check the permissions on the MBWE. So the solution is the following (brief and step-by-step)

Brief solution:

1. SSH as root into your MBWE and check the permissions for /var and /var/lib
  2. Use chmod 755 on /var and /var/lib to apply the correct permissions.
  3. Use the Time Machine System Preferences to set your backup disk to your MBWE.

via  paulmc.org

Step-by-step solution:

Open terminal
In a new terminal window type: sudo -s
Then enter your password (you will need to do this in order to secure root access to your MBWE)
Then type: ssh (the IP address of your MBWE i.e. 192.168.1.10)
Password: welc0me (the o is omitted and replaced with a zero ’0′)
Once you are in, to ensure that you are starting at the root, type cd /
Then type:
chmod 755 /var
chmod 755 /var/lib
then logout.

You will then have access to the WD_Backup using the following credentials (however if you changed the password you will have to use the password you changed the user account WD_Backup to)

username: WD_Backup
Password: backup

There was a permissions issue with the /var and /var/lib folders, the timemachine folder resides within the /var/lib container and timemachine needs specific permissions in order to work.