Something wrong with CNID DB in OS X 10.7.1

Hi,

yes, I am at 10.7.2 and on 10.6.8 - CNID on both.

Win7 works flawless using the smb Protocol.

Within /shares/* there is no .AppleDB - Dir.

ls -la /shares/Public/ just shows the precreated directories - no .AppleDB

D.

ADDED: I have .AppleDouble and .AppleDesktop 

thats is.

Well… neither ai_enabled nor stefan29’s fixes worked for me on this one.

I am running an MBL with 02.10.09-124 : Core F/W my Mac is running 10.7.2.  There are two files in /var/log (namely daemon.log and daemon.log.1) that build up to ~10MB and brick my Dashbaord UI.  Deleting these two files gets my UI back but the mount continues to give me the following error:

Message from server “MyBookLive02”

Something wrong with the volume’s CNID DB, using

temporary CNID DB instead. Check server messages

for details. Switching to read-only mode.

WD2go apps and WD2go.com are both bricked.

The two PCs running WIN 7 seem to be working nicely so far.

I sure hope WD Tech’s are working on this!

Something to consider.  If you can live with just using the SMB protocol used to send and receive data betwen your MAC and the MBL then this problem can be very easily worked around, deamon.log will stop growing at a stupid rate and peace will return to the universe.  :smiley:

I was experiencing the same thing, just upgraded to the latest firmware on the MyBook Live and running 10.7.2 on my MacBook Pro.  I logged into the MBL UI and saw that on the ‘Remote Access’ tab there is a section for ‘Advanced’ which contains a link to ‘Rebuild database for troubleshooting purposes’.

I clicked that and it seems to be working fine now.

the rebuidl gives me:

• 30000 - Unknown error. Please ensure you are not facing network connectivity issues and try again.
    (rebuild_transcoding_400)

uuurrrghhhh!

I got the rebuild to run (no output messgae) but noticed the following error under configuration:

Connection Status: Failed

Cannot establish remote access connection. Make sure you are connected to the Internet. (Error 31520)

This error is rediculous because under the Network settings I get:

LAN Configuration

Internet Access: Good

so still no WD2go.com access or WD2go app access… and the share mount still produces a:

Message from server “MyBookLive02”

Something wrong with the volume’s CNID DB, using

temporary CNID DB instead. Check server messages

for details. Switching to read-only mode.

Error…

I just bought this drive and have been having the same problem… This is what I got after tyoing in the ssh password:

Stopping Netatalk Daemons: afpd cnid_metad.
rm: cannot remove `/shares/*/.AppleDB/{*.db’: No such file or directory
bash: db_*}: command not found
Starting Netatalk services (this will take a while): cnid_metad8454: old priority -16, new priority 0
afpd.

Please help!

Thank you,

Hi everybody,

It was driving me crazy.

I tried everything an finally it worked for me.

READ EVERYTHING BEFORE THE FIRST CLICK !!! (I told you)

Please do EXACTLY as stefan29 says in message 20 of this thread, in particular do this:

ssh root@mybooklive.local "/etc/init.d/netatalk stop ; rm -v /shares/*/.AppleDB/{*.db;db_*} ; /etc/init.d/netatalk start"

Then do the steps I found in this page by James Pond:

http://pondini.org/TM/A4.html

Next, a literal copy of this particular page (#A4)

" This will reset the connection to your backup destination, and replace the preferences file containing your settings for Time Machine:   the destination, options, and any exclusions.  If it’s corrupted, Time Machine may not work properly, if at all.

It will not delete anything in your backups, or cause Time Machine to start a new set of backups.

1.On the Time Machine Preferences window, click the Options button.  If you have any external HDs that are excluded from backups, connect them temporarily (otherwise those exclusions won’t appear, and you won’t be able to re-enter them in step 5 below).  

2.Note everything in the exclusions box, and the settings of the other options (perhaps via a screen print) then click Cancel to return to the main window. Turn Time Machine OFF and quit System Preferences.

3.If you’re backing-up to an external HD, eject, disconnect, and power it off for a few moments, then reconnect it.  

4.Delete the file /Library/Preferences/com.apple.TimeMachine.plist  (in your top-level Library folder, not your home folder).

(You may have to navigate to it;  a Spotlight search won’t show it, and a Finder search won’t, either, unless you include System Files.  If you have a problem finding the file, see item #A7.)

5.Go back into Time Machine Preferences, re-select the drive, re-enter any exclusions and other options you noted in step 1.  Note that the oldest and latest backup dates won’t appear on this window until the next backup is done.

6.A 120-second countdown to a backup should appear.  If you close the window, it should begin immediately. "

NOTE: You  must turn the device off waiting at least until it disappears from the finder.

Hope it works for you too

None of the fixes in this thread have worked for me. I am still getting the same message and am using 10.6.8 (NOT 10.7). 

Until a fix is made, my brand new 2TB harddrive is essentially useless and I will return it.

WILL WD PLEASE FIX THIS? 

I am still seeing this problem, and have not found a solid solution yet?

I’ve tried dbd -rf to rebuild the CNID databases, but it doesn’t appear to help.

Is the only solution to do a factory restore to get this working (with the latest firmware)?

This is seriously a PITA, and should not be happening.  Has there actually been any word from WD on this issue?

Hi,

Just bought a WD My Book Live 3TB yesterday and have gone as far as connecting it to the network, no file transfers done yet. I have updated to the latest firmware from the WD dashboard.

I am receiving the same message when trying to access the Drive from FINDER on my iMAC.

Any tips please?

Thanks

Not that it’ll make any difference as WD seem to be not giving a [edited] about their customers… But I just bought the 1tb mybooklive today (Monday 20th feb 2012), got it home, plugged it in, updated the firmware… Tried to acces the drive and bang! Cnid db error - read only mode **bleep** is going on? I am loathed to dive into terminal and start doling out Linux commands and hope for the best. Is there a setting somewhere obvious that I’m missing? This seems unbelievable. I am running lion 10.7.3 Please help wd. If I haven’t got this working by tomorrow afternoon, it’s going back to the shop.

Hey everyone,

I am the original poster on this thread. After receiving absolutley no response from WD regarding this issue or two others that I have had with my MBL, I went ahead and bought the netgear ReadyNAS Duo. Since my MBL was out of warranty, I tore it apart and took the hard drive out and put it in the Duo. I am SO satisified with the Due, as I have FULL control of virtually everything. The “advanced” configuration mode is not for the feint of heart, but there’s a wizard, too!

So here’s my solution: drop this c r a p p y product and do a little research and see if the Duo (or something similar) would suit your needs. It sure did for me, and the transfer speeds on the Duo seem faster. (Did I mention that I can plug a thumb drive directly into the front of it and it will automatically back it up…it’s a print server, too…oh, and the drives are hot swappable…and it does the RAID configuration of your choice if you use both bays…and it has a COOLING FAN)…

and no, I do not work for netgear, but if WD doesn’t want to help any of us “premium paying” customers for their product, then I suggest everyone move on.

Thank you for your time!

So it seems that there are a LOT of people experiencing this problem. My MBL drive isn’t that old, and it’s frustrating that there is no easy solution to this. Especially for those of us who are not familiar with LINUX at all. 

It’s actually pretty disconcerting that a company like Wester Digital has not provided the rest of us with an easy way to fix this problem without having to back up our back uped data. 

I concider myself pretty savvy when it comes to these kind of things, but I’m at a loss here. If anyone has an easy way of solving this issue please let me know… and I’m sure you’ll be helping out a ton of other people out there that have purchased this drive and are experiencing this problem.

Thanks much.

M

Is this an apple mac problem only? I get the same message. Bought the product last and can’t use the crappy thing

I bought my MBL yesterday, and out of the box it was useless (cnid db problem, and apache was taking 5 min to load each setup page) – tried the fixes posted here to no avail. This is what worked for me:

Make sure you

• upgrade to the latest firmware
  • after confirming firmware is upgraded, do a “Quick Restore To Factory Settings”

After fussing around with the server daemons for hours, the above seemed too simple, but it worked!

My MBL is mounted and working.

PS I also enabled File Sharing on my Mac (and under Options turned SMB on too) but I don’t think that was the main problem. 

1 Like

Ok so here is something funny.

In my post I used the terms [edited] and “**bleep**” (I actually typed them like that, I didn’t use the full swear words).

So anyway my post is edited and I get a warning message from a mod about “vulgarity”!

Do you know what’s really vulgar? Our treatment by WD!

There is a very clear and damaging issue being experienced by many many of WD’s more “high value” (we buy the expensive stuff) customers and they are being completely unhelpful and unresponsive over the matter.

I took my drive back. Will never buy a WD product again.

Just want to second greachers solution, happily! I tried everything in this thread, on two different drives. Both of which had this CNID DB problem out of the box. My precise steps to resolve:

1. Update firmware via web interface (to MyBookLive 02.10.09-124 : Core F/W)

2. Quick Factory Restore in the “Utilities” page of the web UI

3. Voila! Mac OS X (Lion) could now connect error-free with write permission, and Time Machine is backing up now.

Thanks greacher!

t.

I’ve got a 2TB My Book World Edition (White) and encountered this problem too. I was hesitant to do a factory reset because the only reset I could find on my device’s control panel warned that resetting would also wipe the drive.

Instead, I looked again at the error messages and saw that the system was having trouble reading the .AppleDB file in the subfolders / shares on my system. I was still able to ssh into my MWBE after the firmware upgrade and remove the .AppleDB, .AppleDesktop and any other .AppleD* files in the folder.

I then unmounted and remounted the device and was able to save files again. Here are the error messages I was getting (I was also getting these messages on regular folders and not just shares):

03/25 14:11:52  YOURHOST daemon.err afpd[5624]: Reopen volume /shares/usb1-1share1 using in memory temporary CNID DB.
 03/25 14:11:52  YOURHOST daemon.err afpd[5624]: Can’t open volume “/shares/usb1-1share1” CNID backend “cdb”
 03/25 14:11:52  YOURHOST daemon.err afpd[5624]: Cannot open CNID db at [/shares/usb1-1share1].
 03/25 14:11:52  YOURHOST daemon.err afpd[5624]: cnid_open: dbenv->open of /shares/usb1-1share1/.AppleDB failed: DB_VERSION_MISMATCH: Database environment version mismatch
 03/25 14:11:52  YOURHOST daemon.err afpd[5624]: cnid_open: dbenv->open (rw) of /shares/usb1-1share1/.AppleDB failed: DB_VERSION_MISMATCH: Database environment version mismatch

Again, doing an rm -r .AppleD* in each folder did the trick for me. Best of luck!

I just received this error for the first time. Ive had the drive for over a year, and used it daily. I was out of  town for the past week, and when I returned I received this error. I couldn’t write anything to the drive. Before doing anything drastic I simply unplugged the drive, rebooted the computer, and reconnected the drive. Now Im back up and writing to the drive with no problems. Just thought I’d throw that out there in case anyone has this issue and didnt think to reboot.