***SOLVED*** WDTV Live + 8 TB NAS freezes after watching; not able to switch to other movie

Thanks heaven for finding this thread! I thought I had cooked my WD TV Live somehow, but I solved my problem.

I had the same symptoms as dsenseb.
First avi or mkv plays until the end, but after about 5-10 minutes, the progess bar and time indication stop working.

After that 5-10 minute point, I still can navigate file structure but a second file does not play ("unable to play the selected file").

Also, the first file (sound) plays in the background and i can go back playing it but now with blue rotating circle showing.
All this happens also on USB drives, not only on network shares.

Tried reburn Firmware 1.05.04_V, tried 1.03.49_V, tried ice packs, all to no avail…
But having read this thread, I swithed off my QNAP (TS 219, 3.4.3 Build 0520T) and after it I could play fine from USB!
So TonyPh12345 was right (“NAS is … locking up the players because of some sort of packets it’s sending on the network”).

With QNAP on again, I started disabling various services and found that “UPnP Port Forwarding” is the culprit.
(MyCloudNAS Service - Auto Router Configuration - Enable UPnP Port Forwarding; uncheck this option to disable)

So anybody with similar problems, check your NAS and possibly other equipment that are trying to program your UPnP router.

WD TV should not lock up like this of course. This is a stupid stability bug that almost made me buy a non-WD streamer.

3 Likes