***SOLVED*** WDTV Live + 8 TB NAS freezes after watching; not able to switch to other movie

If I play these files from USB or even another computer in the network, it works fine. But as soon as I plug in the UTP cable, things go wrong. 

I seem to notice that when I leave the UTP cable in, but not access the network it works. But if I accessed it even once, I can’t play anything form any disk afterwards. 

So the UTP cable needs to be removed in order to see more than 1 film from the USB disk.

====

WDTV LIVE – GIGABIT AIRPORT EXTREME – QNAP TS419P+ TURBONAS

====

NO SOLUTION YET

Hello,
I have exactly the same problem.

I have a WD TV Live and a QNap TS-210 (firmware 3.4.2 Build 0331T) with two 1.5Gb disks
connected with Gigabit ethernet cable, through a Netgear ProSafe Gigabit GS108T
with a Netgear ProSafe DGFV338 router (I haven’t the jumbo frame enabled).

I talked with the assistance, no solution for now.

The system worked many months but it began to fail about four months ago,
I also thought about a firmware problem of WD Live TV and I tried to downgrade,
I tried to reset to factory default settings every time.

Now it works only with USB drives, I am copying the movie from the QNAP to USB drives in the last two months …

I don’t know if the cable can cause problems even if I use usb drive, I’ll try.

Today I’ll try to install the new firmware in the WD TV Live and in the QNap, but I’m not confident.

Unfortunately I can not reset the network drive to factory default
because it is full and I have a lot of settings (maybe next month…)

RoX

well, there’s no solution and to be honest; I don’t expect one soon anymore. Right now I’m waiting for the AC Ryan Fluxx to come out and then I’ll be switching from WD to another brand. (Which I regret!!!)

Hi,

I have also the exact same problem…

I have a 8TB qnap ts-412 wired connected with my wdtv thru switch.

the reason i bought the wdtv is for playing music & video files from my NAS and those 2 things don’t work :frowning:

errors i have:

-when playing let’s say a music folder with 10 songs in it, the first 3 will play, then stops

whatever you try, you can not let another file play (video or music) till you restart the wdtv.

-when playing let’s say a liveset mp3 of 1 hour or longer, the file will play till the end, but… after 10-15minutes

the progress bar and time indcation resets to zero and when you pause or stop, again, you’ll need to restart

the wdtv to be able to play another file

-when playing a movie, again, plays fine till the end if you don’t pause. if you do (before 15minutes, no probs),

restart again or no more playback.

So it seems to me that there’s some kind of bug in wdtv, that appears after about 15 min of non-stop streaming from my nas thru network shares.

I’m shure my qnap is set up right. Never have connection problems with any of the pc’s or my previous mediaplayer.

Also when playing files from my laptop thru network share, same thing happens (just checked it to be shure it wasn’t the qnap)

edit: network share only has this problem, not with files from usb. but like the other guy said, what’s the purpose

of having a server if you still need to copy files over thru usb…

Can somebody please help cause for my use, i have a paperweight in my hands

thanks in advance

edit: searching the net, i find LOTS of people with same problem. they all have nas server and use network share.

this is a core funtion and should be looked at from wdtv dev team

Using media server instead of network share resolves the problem…

… but i can’t play my .srt subtitles with media server, so not a real sollution for me :frowning:

Media server doesn’t do the trick. Also Twonky has some shortcomings. .srt indeed, but also: you can’t access the files in a preferred folder structure. You can only use their presets.

WD, come on; update the FW please and provide a solution!!

MacFr, you can acces the files in a preferred folder structure :wink:

If you go to settings > First steps > Navigation tree configuration > Choose ‘Folder’ from the dropdown window

hope this is what you mean :wink:

Thanks for the response. Correct me if I’m wrong please, but as far as I can see, I can indeed choose ‘folder’. However; when accessing the ‘main’ folder from Twonke server (or any other mediaplayer), all the media is placed in one extremely long list. I have a neatly structured library with folders named: MOVIES, SERIES, etc. I would like to see this exact structure on my mediaplyer. But now theres a long list (alphabetically ordered). Movies, series, Video-Ts folders, etc.

I wish I could figure out what’s different between yours and mine…

I have two QNAPS, a TS-410 Turbo and TS-412 Turbo.   Neither of them have any issues at all.

I can’t see what would be different about a TS-419P+ that you can’t turn off.

Only guess I have is that your NAS is doing something similar to the “Virgin Super Hub” thread that’s locking up the players because of some sort of packets it’s sending on the network…   But short of doing a Wireshark capture on the WDTV’s port… I don’t know what else can be done.

After working with their engineers on a separate issue several months ago, I do know for a fact that WD also tests with QNAP NAS’s, so hopefully they’re seeing the same issue…

I also have the TS-412 TURBO :s

I’m trying every possible setting, getting desperate…

already starting to think of exchanging the wdtv for other brand, cause its the only thing i need it to do, and it doesn’t do it.

to MacFr:

i also have a neat folder structure like SERIES, MOVIES, MOVIES HD,…

and when i choose ‘folder’ in mediaserver settings, i get the same structure on wdtv

TonyPh12345: how is your qnap connected to wdtv? thru router or direct?

It doesn’t make a difference if the wdtv is connected directly to QNAP or with the Airport extreme in between. same issue…

did somebody with this issue try custom firmware? (B-rad’s WDLXTV)

in my experience, custom firmwares mostly provide more & better functions then the retail firmware…

Thanks for the picture :wink:

looks like we have the same setup

when i use network share to play files from my w7 pc it has same problem.

can’t think of anything that’s different from you except i have other router/modem.

Thanks heaven for finding this thread! I thought I had cooked my WD TV Live somehow, but I solved my problem.

I had the same symptoms as dsenseb.
First avi or mkv plays until the end, but after about 5-10 minutes, the progess bar and time indication stop working.

After that 5-10 minute point, I still can navigate file structure but a second file does not play ("unable to play the selected file").

Also, the first file (sound) plays in the background and i can go back playing it but now with blue rotating circle showing.
All this happens also on USB drives, not only on network shares.

Tried reburn Firmware 1.05.04_V, tried 1.03.49_V, tried ice packs, all to no avail…
But having read this thread, I swithed off my QNAP (TS 219, 3.4.3 Build 0520T) and after it I could play fine from USB!
So TonyPh12345 was right (“NAS is … locking up the players because of some sort of packets it’s sending on the network”).

With QNAP on again, I started disabling various services and found that “UPnP Port Forwarding” is the culprit.
(MyCloudNAS Service - Auto Router Configuration - Enable UPnP Port Forwarding; uncheck this option to disable)

So anybody with similar problems, check your NAS and possibly other equipment that are trying to program your UPnP router.

WD TV should not lock up like this of course. This is a stupid stability bug that almost made me buy a non-WD streamer.

3 Likes

Siskin wrote:

So TonyPh12345 was right (“NAS is … locking up the players because of some sort of packets it’s sending on the network”).

With QNAP on again, I started disabling various services and found that “UPnP Port Forwarding” is the culprit.
(MyCloudNAS Service - Auto Router Configuration - Enable UPnP Port Forwarding; uncheck this option to disable)

So anybody with similar problems, check your NAS and possibly other equipment that are trying to program your UPnP router. WD TV should not lock up like this of course. This is a stupid stability bug that almost made me buy a non-WD streamer.

Yes, this “shouldn’t” be happening… but from what I can gather, it’s not limited to the WDTVs… the same Virgin SuperHubs that are also locking things up, apparently do the same thing with some DVD players.

This is amazing. It works! I tried to recreate the problem after switching off ‘enable UPnP Port Forwarding’ and I coulndn’t. I’m carefully optimistic here, but it seems that the problem is solved!

I already gave up hope for a solution since WD has been silent on the matter for months. So teh FLUXX is due to be released 22’th of juni and I was ready to order, but I think I’m gonna stay with the wdtv for a while longer.

So thanks for the solution Siskin. I’ll do some more testing, but for now I’n totally happy!!!

Just tested for like 30 min, still going strong :slight_smile:

i’ll do some more testing tonight…

thanks in advance

I can confirm that the problem is solved, y’all!

Thanks a bunch!

WD: are you following?