Software Update - WD SmartWare Version 1.6.2 for Windows (7/30/12)

@JohnRH

if your version is working for you, stick with it, without a lot of admin of uninstalling old versions and running updates and scans i couldnt guarantee you a method of a problem free update

i changed from 1.5.4.5 and persevered with 1.6.2 as the cpu usage was much less with the newer version, but my pc is old now so probably more of an issue to me

I have lost the Smartware 1.5.4 version that comes preloaded in the WD My book essential. Can someone upload the 64 bits version for me? 

Thank you very much

i could email it to you, i have 1.5.4.5 i think

I sent to you a private message with my email.

Thank you very much.

Best regards

I recently installed My Book Essential with  Smartware 1.4.5.2 and have made two failed attempts to upgrade to version 1.6

What are the advantages of 1.6 vs. 1.4.5.2? Current version seems to work just fine.

@persuader, hi mate, im sending over some files which will hopefully help you out

good luck

@JohnRH

hi, i found that when i had 1.5.4.5 my cpu usage when i first turned on my pc was running anywhere in the region of 60 - 80% and could stay like that for quite some time

i find the cpu usage is in the region of 5-20% when the initial backup check happens when i turn on my pc and then drops to zero after a few minutes if not much needs backing up

the new version only backs up mail pst files once in approx 24 hrs.

when you say 2 failed attempts, how did it fail ?

check back though this thread as there are a few requirements for the software to run well, flash, java , netframework updates etc

some have uninstalled the software, cleaned their registry with ccleaner and started fresh. making sure the antivirus software is disabled when installing

Hi All,

I am trying to backup my PC (Acer PC Laptop with two HD 500GB, Windows 7):

• I have used Smartware 1.4.5.2 over Home WiFi to my My Book Live 2TB device

• It took ages as it had to backup round 290GB from drive D: and 6GB from drive C:
    • I eventually got a “Backup Completed” for drive D: (290GB) but was still busy with drive C: (small volume, huge number of files) - was yet in “Partial Backup” status
    • Behaviour was strange as, running for a number of days, the amount of data backed up was sometimes changed from a higher volume to a smaller volume without any specific reason I can think about (no big files changed on my computer)
  • Updated today to 1.6.2

• Gosh! 6.15GB remaining to backup from drive C: and 175GB remaining to backup from D:
    • 
though speed of “backup” seems “fast” (does it actually backup or rather verifies backed up files?)

A few snapshots:

• indicating backup was at least 269GB

Capture.PNG

• suggesting 170GB yet to be backed up (in French)

Captureé.PNG

How reliable is this information?

What should be the expected speed?

thanks for any hint - regards, Pierre

Hover over and Click on the WD drive on the Home screen. Back-up and retrieve should be active then

Thanks for the advice

@PHubaut

Update 1.6.2 is difficult one and although it is fast, it is known to cause many other problems including high CPU. After going through all problems solving with this update I found it to be somewhat reliable. It is far from being the best software as you may have gathered from other members of WD community posts. If you get it working then that it is good. You can check the reliability by right click over the drive in the Home tab and check the properties ,i.e the number of files in the drives from both, the source and the target backup drives and see if files have been backed up.

PS: Why your drive is is in French rather than English?

@WagWaf re PS: Why your drive is is in French rather than English?

My My Book Live is set to English but my Smartware is running on my PC set up in French (I am Belgian native French speaker)

Hello,

I have just purchased a new Western Digital 2TB myBookEssentials.

whilst completeing the install of software a popup says new software avail so I update the firmware and get message installed OK.

Then I update the Software and now I cant get the Backup Tab it’s all greyed out.

Why do they ask to check to see if the backup tab is all greyed out ?, it’s as if they expected a problem.

Anyhow I’m too tired now  (an hour to plug in a backup drive).

Can anyone help.

Regards,

Max7883

max7883 wrote:

Hello,

I have just purchased a new Western Digital 2TB myBookEssentials.

whilst completeing the install of software a popup says new software avail so I update the firmware and get message installed OK.

Then I update the Software and now I cant get the Backup Tab it’s all greyed out.

Why do they ask to check to see if the backup tab is all greyed out ?, it’s as if they expected a problem.

Anyhow I’m too tired now  (an hour to plug in a backup drive).

Can anyone help.

Regards,

Max7883

click the drive on the home tab and then the backup and retrieve will work

1 Like

click on the drive icon (it should have the name of your PC) and the greyed out tabs will appear

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

I did see this hint and tried it before however i clicked on the pull down meue drive “C:”

When I cicked on the drive ICON it now has enabled the tab.

will go on from here.

Thank you for your assiastance.

This software is not user friendly if it locks up like this, may be it could be improved, or an onscreen hint "Click the drive icon.

Thanks again,

Max7883

Sorry, this procedure didn’t work.  I had restarted my laptop, I have uninstalled the software using ccleaner, rebooted the laptop and then installed, updated it.  But still this doesn’t recognize my harddisk.

Hello,

I found a potential workaround for the “computer won’t go to sleep” issue
 stop the WD Backup service and start it manually when it’s time to do a backup. Then shut it down again so the computer will sleep on its own.

It seemed to run a backup OK when I tried it like this yesterday.

Disclaimer: You’re on your own if you try this. Don’t blame me if something goes wrong.  :cat:

• Martin

Due to the new update, this thread is now closed.