Software Update - WD SmartWare Version 1.6.2 for Windows (7/30/12)

oh ok, i understand, so its the software keeping the pc awake rather than hardware

apologies i have xp, i will try and think of a solution

I think that I may need to change my handle from WAY_frustrated to maybe_satisfied!

OUTLOOK IS BACKING UP :smileyvery-happy:

Twice now, when I booted up the computer at the start of the day I made a point of not opening Outlook until Smartware had a chance to complete a backup. I also made sure that Google Calendar wasn’t syncing either.

Hopefully this solves it!

yep, it took me a while to discover that, if you check in your backup directory you can see them there roughly one in 24 hours. as soon as you open outlook, it then shows again as partial backup untill it backs them up again.

i might even change my name from painful

I update Smartware ver 1.6.2 and have a problem.

I try to open Smartware, it’s run, but do not show on screen, as follow picture.

i try to install many times but it still not working, but with the ver 1.4.2 it’s work right.

I use win 7 pro 64bit and installed adobe flash 11

Nope, not all is fixed. My two CPUs are flat out at 100% since I started Smartware a few minutes ago. Closed it and they are still 100%. Taskmanager says WDBackupEngine.exe is hogging the cpus. Perhaps hardware does matter, it should not. Taskmanager priority says low priority. I cut the Affinity to one CPU so at least I can do other stuff now. Jeesh this is poor software - the biggest reason I bought the MBLD was to backup through the internet - extending the ‘personal cloud’ to a laptop far way. I have unlimited up/download so that detail is taken care of. I can , and may devise another way to do it - FTP or other software if I can find it.

I installed update on 8/4/12. Completing instillation of .net 4 and then both Firmware and Software updates. At first the software could not see my previous backup on my WD drive so I did an erase and new backup which seemed to get everything backed up correctly, but now 4 files that have changed yesterday that are over 50mb will not backup today, but they backed up in the first inital backup. It gives the statement Partial backup; remaining files will be added later. Click View Files for details. And when I click the View Files for details it states Reason: File pending backup.

Really frustrated with this becasue the large files are really important InDesign documents that need to be updated and backed up on a regular basis.

Not really for sure why but all the times I’ve tried manually restarting the Smartware software and hitting the Backup button didn’t work but just now the backup bar started working and after a few minutes all 4 of my files that couldn’t be backed up were all backed up and now whenever I change a file they are all backing up. It’s like it took a day for it to figure out how to work. Who knows? I’ll keep an eye on it and see if it is a time of day issue when it will do large files.

sorry for the bad review earlier, everything seems to be working fine.

Hello everyone, this is my first post to these forums.

I’ve come to a realization that anything *Java* based simply [Deleted]!

Recently the desktops at my office were renewed with I5’s and I7’s, however once the Java apps are loaded and running, it’s akin to working on a an old Celeron system.  Java brings any system down to a crawl!

Until WD migrates from Java to an actual Windows runtime environment, we will continue to see these issues ( at least the high CPU cycles) reported by so many end users.

I have the WD 2TB My Book Essential and for what it is and what’s out there, I personally cannot complain (actually I can - lol).  I guess the other option is locate an alternate piece of s/w that can fill in for the included Smartware.

I’m still looking
however if I find anything, I’ll definitely post my findings and partial review where possible.

Thanks

My original is 1.6.0 and recently installed 1.6.2. and both of course don’t work (i.e don’t back up my files). If your original 1.4.5.2., and installed 1.5.4.5 on top of that worked, then I must do that. Where and how I could get older versions. I have My Book Essential (MBE) drive and assume the older version will work. Also I have just bought another MBE and it is unopened yet and I think I can return it. In your experience is there another make that I should replace with as I anticipate more problems with WD!

Thank you

hi, when you say they dont back up files, is that any files?

i would agree they are slightly involved to get installed correctly but 1.6.2 works perfectly on my xp system with my passport 1 Tb

Reading other reviewers who have the same problem that 1.6.2 does not back up their files. Yes I do have files in my hard drive “c” of 650GB, my WD 2T GB wa sbaking up fine with 1.6.0 but since I installed the new version (1.6.2) it gets stuck on 3.06 GB and the backup bar moves no further!. I have Windows 7.

hi, there are a few posts previous to this one, and also older threads that have been closed now relating to installing the software correctly, including making sure windows updates are done, updating flash and java etc.which seemed to have resolved all the issues apart from not letting windows 7 go to sleep.

if you have a look at page 4 on this thread and my post starting ‘there is a post by watchful’ that should allow you to trace back the various posts and threads.

the software if left alone may sort itself out and start baking up your files or you can try a clean install after uninstalling and running ccleaner.

if you can follow the threads or are still stuck i will write out a post summarising whats helped others in the past

good luck

Thanks painful.  I will follow your advice and read the posts on page 4. Any solution to the window 7 does not go to sleep? That was the issue with version 1.6.0 as well when my my window does not go to sleep. 

I will let you know how I get on.

hi mate, no worries, i think everyone so far has managed to get it working ok, the pst email files only back up once in 24 hrs as they change so often, but as soon as you open outlook the files will show as needing backup which makes it seem like they never backup but check in the relevant folder in the swstore folder and you will see backups.

the cpu hog issue seems to be much better now than 1.6.0

as far as windows 7 going to sleep i dont think there is a solution. i emailed WD but didnt get a response, but as i run xp i dont really get a chance to try and resolve it.

if you get stuck, let me know and we can try and get it sorted for you

make sure your firmware is up to date as well i used the link below to download the universal firmware updater for my passport drive, but check that its suitable for your hardware although the auto update in smartware should prompt you anyway if required

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/wdsmartwareupdate/firmware.asp?id=wdfMP30_SEEssential&os=WIN

enjoy !!!

1 Like

“I think everyone so far has managed to get it working OK”

Wrong.

Please refer here http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-Software/Software-Update-WD-SmartWare-Version-1-6-2-for-Windows-7-30-12/td-p/445992 to my post 5 posts down from the top.

I’m sure many others besides myself have found that this version – like the previous version – just doesn’t work.  And have either abandoned the product completely or – as I have done – are using an earlier version that does work.

I’m surprised that apparently it is working for some.  Perhaps something else weird about the version?  That it is just unreliable in terms of who it will or won’t work for?

There is no reason that I can fathom as to why it didn’t work for me.  And I guess Western Digital folks couldn’t figure it out either, or I’m sure they would have posted here or otherwise contacted me about why it didn’t.  (Or could they care less?)

Version 1.5.4.5 is working just fine for me, save for the buildup of those “etilq” files that I just delete when I go through my pc shut down routine.  1.6 and 1.6.2 didn’t work for beans, as detailed in my referenced post above (which also links to another post).

Pinfull

I did the following:

I turned off anti- virus

Unplaugged all external drives incluing my 2T WD Book Essential)  

I removed the original WD SmartWare 1.6.0 from my PC using uninstall

I used CCleaner

I restarted my computer (kept the anti-virus off )

I downloaded the latest Adobe Flash Player and Active X with their associated recommended software.

I downloaded the latest Java

I turned on .Net 3.5 (in the Feature Windows)

I downloaded .Net Framwork 4 with all extended profile.

I restarted the computer.

Checked everything works ok with my computer with CPU between 0-1%.

Created a restore point (I did not have confidence yet with WDSmartware yet!)

Downloaded WDSSmartWare 1.6.2 (as if it is standalone software).

Checked CPU again and it was still on 0-1%.

Connected my WD Book through USB 3.

Here what you are waiting for!!  It worked, but not for my e-mails (pst)

Created another restore point.

Checked CPU again 0-6% very good.

Then downloaded WDFramework Updater.exe 3.1.0.11D as per your latest post 38 thinking that will help to backup my psd.

Restarted my computer again.

Turned on my anti-virus

Then started WD again

Checked CPU, now slightly higher between 6-14%.

Here we are, it worked! BUT not backing up my e-mail s (pst)

Now firstly thank you for your useful posts and quick responses. However, now you are the genius of WD software, how can I back up my pst?  And is the CPU of 6-14 is normal or I should remove (uninstall) the WDFramework Updater.exe 3.1.0.11D.

I have another WD Book Essential, this one is 3T hopping to use for backing up my movies and photos and keep my 2T book for work purpose only. Do you have any recommendation how both are going to work before I  plug it in?

I only hope now that the same luck goes to WD33Smartware as in his post 4 he is still having trouble. Perhaps the above and with the help of your post no. 37 he will manage to get his WD works!

WagWaf

Painful

Ref: Operating Syetem W7 won’t go to sleep after installing WDSmartWare.

Just to add to my earlier post that when I removed (uninstalled) WDSmartware from my PC I tried my operating system (OS) Windows 7  (through W7 Power Management) and it did go sleep. After re-installing it my OS stopped going to sleep. I have to turn my PC off every time I had to go out.  I thought WD says that their External Drives and Software are environmentally friendly. Do they have a solution for that. May be with your powerful influence can get an answer and a solution from them!

By the way since I installed WDSmartSoftWare in June this year my operating System stopped going to sleep but I thought I have done something wrong. This does not appear to be the case. It is definitely WDSmartWare which is causing the problem.

@WD33smartware, sorry its not working for you, the post you link to is this one only earlier and as several people including myself had managed to get it working after your post i wrongly assumed it had gone quiet as it was working for people, but maybe they had given up and gone to alternative software as you say.

1.5.4.5 worked well for me apart from very high cpu usage at times but 1.6.2 is better, 1.6.0 was really bad

@wagwaf

hi mate, looks like you have been having some fun
i am definitely not the genius around here, maybe a bit more patient  than some and possibly more compulsive!!

this is how i understand the smartware to ‘perform’ in version 1.6.2 for category backup, make sure email is checked in the advanced tab on the backup screen.

the pst files only back up when outlook is closed and also once every 24 hours roughly providing outlook is not running as i dont believe it can back up the files if they are being used. this is because the files change so frequently, not saying this is a good thing, but this is different to the earlier 1.5.4.5 versions etc

also the pst files on my pc seem to backup in the evening, if you leave smartware running in the background and keep outlook closed, the smartware will show pst files backed up, eventually
 as soon as you open outlook the pst files will show as pending backup or you will get the progress bar showing backing up 1.2 gb of 5 gb for example and then it will say partial backup etc. as the files have changed, even though it may have just completely backed them up

if you check in the swstore folder on your backup drive and follow through to the location of your pst files you will see whats actually been backed up and when and also the number of copies you have told SW to keep. my folder is in my docs as i am running office 2010.

i am fairly sure if you plug in another drive, you will see both drives in the home screen of smartware. if you click once on the drive icon to highlight and then click on the backup tab you will see the advanced view tab between the hdd on the left and the wd drive on the right. here you can tick the boxes next to the types of file you want on each drive

as far as the cpu usage, again i understand this to be the case that when you first turn on your pc, the SW will run while it checks whats changed and backs up what it needs to and it then should settle to 0-2% if nothing is changing on the pc, remember it may be backing up the pst which can be very big files.

i didnt use the WD framework updater, not sure what it is being honest and it doesnt show as one of my processes that are running. i did use the separate windows netframework updater from the link below rather than rely on windows update if that helps

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=17718

hope that goes some way to help you anyway, keep us posted to your progress although i am away a few days after tonight

as far as windows 7 going into sleep mode, i dont know the answer to that one as i run xp

i did email WD and asked them the question as i had seen so many people with the problem but they chose not to respond to my enquiry
 whether they would if you asked them via the support pages, you never know

i dont in anyway represent Wd or hold them in any bias favour but i do like their drives and think they are very good quality. as far as software and in particular software support goes i think they may have a way to go, but i do try and resolve issues myself as i think a company like WD, who must employ people far more intelligent and qualified than myself,  wouldnt  release software that doesnt work

well would you believe it, while i was writing this i got a response to my question from a few weeks ago, i will post any info i get, as they are asking me for my drive serial number i may not get anywhere as i dont have windows 7,

if you use the link below and click on email and log in using your forum email and password you could ask them yourself, they may answer you directly

http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

Two tries to update failed. After reboot at the end Backup was not active.

Will not try again unless given assurance it will work and know the benifits of 1.6.2 vs.1.4.5.2