So, I have a useless insecure previously handsomely paid item do i?

Reading about the latest possible vulnerabilities that MyCloud devices are open to, due to the tech / software that they use, as part of the device; it begs the following question:

I can’t surely just throw £160 away?
If not, what can I use it for, to atleast get some form of use out of it?

I really have a need to sync between a desktop in one fixed location and a laptop in a remote location - would accessing it via a VPN help matters a little?

When will WD integrate Two Factor Auth in their systems used to access our files in a MyCloud, that would help a lot too - whilst there is of course no failsafe way of one’s data being wholly secure, they should be offering all customers as high a % of data security; through much quicker action on firmware or platform vulnerabilities in their MyCloud product (Others but I am only concerned with this one, that I’ve previously paid for) as slow response to their devices security positioning, will eventually kill them off as a viable device manufacturer / provider, simple facts.

Not sure what route to take now, so is there any guidance from others who have experienced the same position that they’ve unfortunately found themselves in, whilst feeling utterly shafted by how Western Digital’s weak position seems to be on their customers ability to secure their data on WD devices, at source?

Thanks in advance,

I would totally agree, and it is doing just that. Many sites have just stopped reviewing a WD My Cloud or rating them.

Although there are some Moderators on this forum, we are all “Users” just like you, so we can not answer on the behalf of WD.

You can search the forum for security issues and how frustrated all the owners are about WD’s position on their firmware and ability to respond to security loop holes. I ONLY use my “My Cloud” for internal usage with no internet access due to these issues, but that does not make it secure my any means.

Many users have purchased QNAP or Synology NAS to transfer their data to it, including myself. It appears that WD has no real interest in data security or the customers frustration. I would suggest asking WD directly through a “Support Ticket” about your concerns.

1 Like

If security matters you should take the 4TB hard drive out of the My Cloud and put it in a nother NAS.
The hard drive is worth £115. So you throw only £45 away.

Seems like this would be the only viable alternative right now, is there a resource of how you set yours up to be just internal, no doubt linked to a physical device? (desktop / laptop)

If you could point me to such, that would be great, then are you no longer utilising ANY of the WD software?

I’d use it in that instance, to backup my desktop device direct connection but not linked to the net if this is possible.

Thanks in advance.

Good points, although I’m unsure if I’m burnt now - once bitten, twice shy kind of thing. What non WD brands are currently fitting as good on security and that I could take my current 4TB drive from the defunct and wholly untrustworthy WD device, to plumb in to another brands NAS?

Thanks in advance.

There is no reason to use any WD Software at all. You don’t need it for setup, backup, or syncing. Many users have issues with the Desktop app, WD Sync, Smartware … you can do a forum search and you will see no support other than us users.

As far as taking the HDD out, you can install and reformat it it any QNAP or Synology NAS. The NAS will reformat and set up the configuration you desire. (Depends on the model and type of NAS and HDD’s you purchase) 4TB WD Reds are very common, check the compatibility list of the NAS of your consideration.

Download and read the User Manual.

Skip past the ‘automated setup’ rubbish, and go to the sections on the Dashboard, the MyCloud’s user interface. Everything can be configured from the Dashboard.

The manual will tell you how to disable remote access. If you want, you can set up your router to block all external traffic for the MyCloud.

I set up and used my MyCloud on a purely internal network for some months before I finally got an internet connection at home.

I use mine wholly internally as well. When I bought the device, I knew better than to believe it capable of proper cloud storage functionality, because the back-end needed for it is something I simply do not have. (Residential internet is notoriously asymmetrical where I live. I have like --maybe-- 64kbit upload capacity. Trying to sip files out of the mycloud remotely is not something I want to even attempt. I just wanted an inexpensive NAS.)

If you have a good upload pipe, and set up a good 2-factor auth VPN, you can use rsync with the MyClouds.

If you are already toying with the idea of throwing the hardware away and yanking the WD-RED NAS drive out of it to put into a Synology or other small NAS, try installing fox_exe’s WDCrack package. It voids warranties, but so does yanking the drive out. It turns on a whole lot more than just turning on installable apps, including turning on rsync daemon mode configuration options in the dashboard, and quite a few other things. A combination of a VPN with rsync in daemon mode will solve a great many backup problems with an over-the-internet backup. (After the initial backup, rsync uses a more intelligent method to transfer only the differences to files, instead of whole files, making it use less bandwidth on the wire.)

Basically, just do your best to ignore that WD’s software even exists. There are more industry standard interfaces hidden beneath the surface that you can use.

1 Like