Slow unresponsive cloud device.. Help

Hi all.

so ive had this cloud for a little while, i bought it, attempted to use it and gave up. its been sitting in its box basically brand new. Recently i felt i needed to see if things have moved forward with the device. i assumed new drivers = fixed issues. i bought a gigabit switch aswell. no excuse anymore of going slow. but yet it does, and its a pile of &&#@. I cant say how unimpressed with this product i am. Ive looked at numerous posts and attempted many things to get the drive to work, however it just useless. the web UI doesnt respond. the page takes ages to load, and once it does nothing works. im trying to set the thing up and all of the fancy ui slide controls to turn off media streaming etc are ust not clickable they are greyed out…

I did mange to get 250GB onto the device, i now want to get that off and throw this thing away. before wasting my money completely can western digital do anything, im not in he US, so im thinking on out of luck… this is a very poor performing device…

Before throwing the device away: can you please specify your network environment? Even the single bay My Cloud is pretty fast, throughput rates of somewhere 70 - 80 Megabyte/s are well achievable using Gigabit Ethernet connection from PC via Switch to My Cloud.

Before giving up there are many things you can try to get the best performance. First at all what do you use your cloud for?
MediaStreaming? Or dou you just need it as storage?
Another question: do you use WLAN in your environment to access the mycloud?

1 Like

Have you tried a 4 second reset and or a 40 second system restore? Sometimes that solves certain issues with eh My Cloud.

http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase/answer.aspx?ID=10432

Have you read the My Cloud User Manual (http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/?id=439&type=25) which explains how to setup the device and use the various features/options?

How are you determining that the My Cloud is slow or that copying is slow?

How is your network configured? Is the computer your copying the files from connected via WiFi?

See the following thread that explains some issues with copying speed.

https://community.wd.com/t/before-you-pack-up-your-wd-and-return-it-lets-talk-about-copying-speeds/91887

At the end of the day there are a variety of things that can cause the My Cloud to be sluggish/unresponsive or can cause slow copying speeds. The My Cloud’s processor/RAM is not very powerful so the unit will be sluggish if it performs too many actions at once. One’s network environment, computer connection to that network, the speed of the hard drive on the computer where the data is being copied from can all affect copying speed. And one almost never, ever gets the top rated speed of their network equipment. Typically one’s network speed is less, sometimes much less, than what the equipment is marketed as.

HI.

So some more details as ive been to sleep and less grumpy :slight_smile:

Cloud is connected directly to my Router. Connected using Gigabit port. Router connects to a gigabit switch, my computer is connected to this…

I want to use the device as a file store, nothing more to be honest.

Last night i used the Factory Reset option, i havent tried the 4 second or 40 second reset. whatever i do i dont want to loose data. there are 3 options in the UI 2 of which seems to say data will be lost, and one that doesnt … ( factory reset )… i assume that factory reset is the same as the 40 second reset…

On going to the web ui console the ui is so un responsive, its obviously loading data in the background. i cant even turn on SSH as all those tabs, whilst accessible, the controls on the screen are greyed out. Curently using DHCP set ip address, in my router i reserve an address for the cloud based on Mac ID. I want to set it to static, but even that button is greyed out. one time last night i was not greyed out, but i had just clicked on something else and that caused it to grey out as that process attempted to run.

So whats the best way to reset the device and not delete data… perhaps i need to try and copy all the data off and only a portable drive ( why i just didnt buy a bigger portable drive and plug it into my router!!! woudl have saved me a ton ). might even still do it …

Can the cloud be turned into a basic US drive? what would be required.

I doubt WD will help on this is refund, or exchange, i dont have my receipt anymore, and im overseas.

If i could get SSH going id try that…

Just looked at RMA. What a joke i have to pay to ship it to Vietnam from new zealand to rma. c’mon wd thats ■■■■. international mail isnt going to make this a reasonable exchange… surely there are local suppliers?

You do not loose any data performing a 4 second reset or 40 second system restore via the reset button on the back of the My Cloud. See the How to reset a My Cloud device link posted up thread which confirms this.

From the Dashboard, on a v4.x My Cloud, the information on the; Factory Restore, System Only Quick Restore, Full Restore:

System Only reverts system settings to their default values, but retains user data and shares.

Quick Restore reverts all settings to their default values, erases all user data and shares, and retains default shares. Quick Restore creates a new file table on the device, but does not fully overwrite or erase the drive, so data recovery programs can be used to restore user data and shares.

Full Restore reverts all settings to their default values, deletes all user data and shares permanently, and retains default shares. Data recovery programs cannot be used to restore data; all user data and shares, with the exception of the default shares, are permanently deleted.

thank you.

Ive rung WD and they have offered to cover costs to RMA which i think is great. Props to WD for doing that.

Will RMA the device and see if a new one solves the issue, this unit has been a problem since day one… assume that a new device might also be a v2 ( gen 2 )? would this make any difference to performance?

thanks
Greg