Slow transfer speed from attached drive

I attached a 1TB WD Mybook drive via USB to my 3TB Mycloud and using windows explorer (Win 7), I tried copying some video files to the Mycloud.  I was only getting transfer speeds of 5MB/s and it took a while to work up to that from around 2.5MB/s.  I then attached the Mybook to a USB hub and got transfer speeds of 11MB/s when copying files to the Mycloud.

Shouldn’t I be getting pretty good speeds copying directly from the Mybook to the Mycloud when they are directly attached to each other via USB?

Also, on another note, I am so loathe to do anymore firmware updates.  The latest one downloaded and installed ok but after reboot, the drive showed the white light.  I let it sit for about an hour and the WD dashboard app just showed the message “drive rebooting”.  Finally, I unplugged the Mycloud and let it sit for about 20 minutes, and after plugging it back in, the blue light came on after about 10 minutes.

Refer to this thread  http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Slow-Transfer-Speed-over-USB/td-p/651477

nomad60 wrote:

Shouldn’tIbegettingprettygoodspeedscopyingdirectlyfromtheMybooktotheMycloudwhentheyaredirectlyattachedtoeachotherviaUSB?

Copying from a USB to a local Share uses your network – twice.    Your PC still has to read the data in and then write it back out, all over the network.

Given your speeds, I would guess that you’re either:

a)  Connecting via WiFi, or

b)  Either your PC or the Cloud is connected via 100 megabit ethernet, not Gigabit.

If you use the WD Desktop app, it should be faster copying from the USB to the My Cloud. 

The app sends the commands directly to the drive vs copying it via PC.  If you read Tony’s post above, copying via PC is slower.