Shared Music won't Load in iTunes

I’m starting to get dissapointed with WD. Thought the company was offering more robust services but time is confirming me I was wrong with that. I will probably think twice next time I have to buy a HD.

Hope they fix this as soon as possible.

wduser5 wrote:

I’m starting to get dissapointed with WD. Thought the company was offering more robust services but time is confirming me I was wrong with that. I will probably think twice next time I have to buy a HD.

Hope they fix this as soon as possible.

• *sometimes i wonder why some people are over-critical … is it WD’s fault that cr-apple changes something that’s otherwise standard protocol, then leave it up to 3rd parties to figure out what’s been changed so that their products work with apple’s software ? you must keep in mind that apple’s shining light is always on their own hardware. they don’t care for the windows-using client base nor other hardware manufacturers like WD. even though they made itunes available for the platform … not to sound like i’m taking sides here, but microsoft has been doing the legwork for years making sure that 3rd party hardware works with windows by providing updates to 3rd party hardware/software via windows update. i used to own a mac back in 2004, i never saw apple do that kind of thing for OS X users.

Maybe you should check out the new firmware. Lots of stuff in this update.

Maybe you have a point over this issue. I appreciate this release. However, I had several problems in the past with both WD passport elite and this MyBook Live on my mac, which make me change my opinion about WD.

That’s all, thank you.

After updating my MyBookLive the iTunesServers still not work under iTunes 10.5.1. 

Did i have to do other steps than updating to make it work?

Thanks

Hi

Works for me, but I confess I’m still running iTunes 10.5.0.142 on my laptop

My OS is OS X Lion. Is this the Problem?

OK iTunes now sees the shared library but is it me or do I still need to have iTunes open in order to see my library on my iPad - anyone know of a work around to this?

THEJOLLYTOG wrote:

OK iTunes now sees the shared library but is it me or do I still need to have iTunes open in order to see my library on my iPad - anyone know of a work around to this?

That will ALWAYS be the case.   Apple doesn’t allow anything but Airplay devices to do that, and they are 100% in control of that.

Cheers, thought as much - well that puts an end to that - can anyone suggest any third party apps that work well over Wifi?  Something that will play an album instead of file by file?

Has anyone an answer why the last update still not work? Did i something wrong? I’m using itunes 10.5.1 on a Macbook Pro with Lion and the 2TB Mybook Live.

i’ve updated to the latest firmware as well, don’t see any shared libraries appearing in itunes. this is odd, especially considering the latest firmware is supposed to have addressed this. if wd can perhaps post us the technical details of how the itunes server is supposed to communicate with itunes clients on the network, someone might be able to figure out what the problem might actually be … as it is now, wd is very lacking with instructions and descriptions for this product, it is not a simple USB drive, details like ftp and how ftp works as well as twonky, itunes server technical details and operation could better be described in detail in the user guide. because simple on/off switches don’t help anyone troubleshoot problems

Itunes works perfectly after lastest firmware update (19-11-2011)…

Thanks WD!

Just wanted to state that this is actually incorrect. iTunes is *still* not working with my My Book Live. The previous poster probably has an old version of iTunes on his computer - it was working with my one computer with an old version of iTunes on it, a version that was on there before one of the past few iTunes updates.

Western Digital, I’m still waiting for an update here. You guys make great stuff, but I won’t be recommending your stuff to others if you can’t solve a problem like this, which has clearly been an issue for multiple months. I’m losing respect for you guys, here. (And yes, before someone criticizes me for this, I’ve already lost a lot of respect for Apple for this, and multiple other issues.)

Hi,

i’ve checked iTunes soon after installing the latest firmware and it worked well. But a few days later i wanted to use again and it doesn’t work anymore. Possibly it was the update from iTunes 10.5  to 10.5.1.42 i don’t know exactly.

I have downloaded the latest version of itunes 10.5.2.11 and the latest firmware 01.02.12 with MioNet 4.3.1.13 and I am now getting the same error as everyone else: MyBookWorld is recognised as a shared location in itunes, and looks as if it is loading in itunes, then it hangs and keeps saying it is loading  - and I can’t access the files on the drive.  I am using windows 7 (64 bit) and all was fine previously - it all worked like a dream until I updated itunes and the firmware recently.  Has anyone got any further with this?

:angry:

did you think about updating the MBL?  It’s up to 02.10 now and is no longer using mionet.

Mine’s a MyBookWorld Edition (White Light) not the MB Live.  The firmware is up-to-date on this one it seems… any ideas??

I have iTunes 10.5.2 (11),  MBL with latest firmware (MyBookLive 02.10.09-124 : Core F/W), running on a MacBook Pro w/Lion.

While the MyBookLive shared library appears in my iTunes, there were no files (mp3s) appearing in it.   I came across another thread that suggested that I put the actual mp3s in the shared folder Public/Shared Musc (as opposed to a folder inside of Shared Music) – voila they appear in iTunes!

SO the problem is:  why isn’t MBL iTunes scanning taking sub-folders into account?  It seems rediculous to think that people would just copy their entire music collection & files into a single flat directory…

HOW can we enable recursive scanning of the shared directories?

By SSH’ing into the MBL, I see in /etc/forked-daapd.conf :

# Directories to index
        directories = { “/shares/Videos”,“/shares/Eric”,“/shares/Public” }
        # Directories containing compilations
        # Matches anywhere in the path (not a regexp, though)
#       compilations = { “/compilations/” }

Is there some flag or option missing for recusive inclusion?  Can we do something like  “/shares/Public/*”

Thanks,

Eric

i am not seeing files in itunes when placed in public music folder…

i am seeing them when placed in a new share…i would love them to be in the Public Music folder

for me there is no point of having public music folder if i cant see them in itunes